Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ridiculously constipated

Glad to hear things are loosening up for you (Oh I'm just so funny arent I ) I had the same problem over Xmas, went to the chemist and he advised I go on Senna tablets temporarily which I did for 2 days and still nothing. I've been taking Metamucil Caps ever since and I'm more regular now then before I was pregnant.

Like you I have IBS and my doctor told me to take Metamucil (drink) but my stomach would gurgle contantly and wake me up in the middle of the night so I had to stop. I found the taking 3 caps a day keeps me regular without the heavy gurgling. Like you I'm sick of taking tablets, I'm chewing 5 a night (going from none to 5 is a lot for me) so I am going to try Fibresure (sp?). This is the powdered fibre that you mix in with your food.... that way I'm back down to taking just 1 tablet a night (Fefol). Hope it works just as well.

I have lots of fresh fruit and vegies every day, even if we are having something for dinner like pasta I'll cook some vegies for my self. I take a fibre suplement and drink loads of water. If I get sick of water I have watered down fruit juice or cordial, watered down enough so that its just got some taste to it.
    But I find if I miss one day then thats it so I have to make an effort to remember.

It's important to try and keep yourself regular. Straining when going to the toilet can cause haemarroids and anal fissures - both of which can be very very painful!

I have to take matamucil every day, and for the week i was in hospital was having it around 3 times a day until i first went - didn't want to have any bad experiences especially with stitches in.

But seriously, take senna or metamucil or lactalose or agarol or something - just don't let yourself get constipated, because fissures really hurt!

Brady's Mum Guest

Hi Tia,
    I have irritalbe bowel syndrome which is enough in it's slef but now that i am pregnant it is worse, it's never been this bad, what i do is eat uncle toby's fibre mix and drink heaps of water and friut and thats helps but i think that the fibre mix is what gets it all going. i hope it gets better i know it's not fun. Mine can go from one to the other in the matter of hours.
    So good luck.
    i feel your pain , i really do

I have just found a new fix. It works wonders for me!!!

Cabbage - a small amount steamed with my dinner has made sure that I am as good as clockwork every day. I know its one of those veg that a lot of people don't like so maybe it isnt an option for a few of you but for myself I haven't had to eat a bucketload for it to work, it is just a small serving in with the rest of my veg.

oooo i love cabbage!ill give that a go! baked beans once a day are helping too

I have found a museli mix with lots of seeds in it has been fantastic. It has sesame seeds, pinenuts, pumpkin seeds plus coconut, sultanas, dates and dried apricots. I've gone with a toasted version because the raw just tastes like cardboard!! But one bowl a day and I haven't been having any problems, but I do notice if I miss it for a day or two!!!

Hi tia-
    With my first i was that bad i wasnt going for 2-3 weeks at a time. I stopped the iron tabs but still no movement... I tried metimucil and hated the taste, tried the fibre caps etc "increase fibre" if anyone else ate as much fibre as i do they's have the opposite prob... I found the only thing that worked was what Allen mentioned The senna tabs from the chemist- there a small pill (think you said you tried them) i think there fab... Had to use them through my preg and after (hurt to poop after bubs was born)

Its the worst thing possible and wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy...

Hope things work out hun and good luck

vestalvagrant Guest

I had terrible constipation a week ago - I got stuck on the loo 'in progress' for 40 minutes!

The next day I did lots of internet research, and with the help of women like us and my pharmicist got relief within six hours:

Prunes
    Pear juice (I found apple & pear juice had the highest pear content)
    Licorice
    High-fibre breakfast cereal
    Senokot, which is a stool softener rather than a laxative and costs less than $4! The box says to take up to four a day, so I took one tablet every four hours until I got a result. Only had to take two in total!

Hope this can provide relief to some of my plugged-up sisters.

I am on iron tablets (have been for 3 weeks now) and expected to get bound up but it hasn't happened. I drink loads of water throughout the day and drink a large glass of water whilst eating a meal and I think this helps.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12