Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sleeping Problems

Debbie Lee Guest

I was having heaps of trouble sleeping when I got my BFP. I think it was out of excitement more than anything.
    Once I started feeling sick with m/s, sleeping was no longer a problem! I work pretty long hours and have to drive 45 minutes each way to work so it takes a lot out of me.
    I have heard that 3rd trimester is pretty bad for sleep because you just can't get comfortable!
    Just an enquiry about lavendar, is that ok to sniff whilst preggers? I read a list of "aromatherapy" scents that you have to stay away from ages ago but I can't remember which ones were ok and which ones were a no-no. I am sure lavendar is probably fine (esp. if others have used it before). Will keep it in mind if (or should I say: when) I have more sleeping problems.
    I could imagine those relaxation type cds would be a great idea! One of my friends gave me a "dreams" cassette tape for when little Nobba is sleeping. I had it in the car. One afternoon when I was driving home from work in a bad mood, I popped the tape in and it relaxed me instantly! So I have kept it in the car for when I hit traffic jams or if I have had a rough time at work.

Is it a sleeping problem when you DH likes to face you? He breathes through his mouth and I get a blast of "death breath" every night? I have become accustomed to rolling over when he does - like clockwork. I have also used the second pillow as a barrickade. Does wonders for his self esteem,

LOL at the death breath Deb!! I figure lavendar must be ok cos it's in the preggie pops... But I did a searcha round & I have bought an Alternaive pregnancy book which says it's ok. The book is great - it gives you suggestions for how to help with headaches & all the other discomforts we get.

Death Breath!! I love it - the best description I have ever heard of the dreaded stuff!
    Shane gets nudged 10 times a night to roll over. He often snores on my face, and its really annoying.

I've just consulted my aromatherapy book and the oils you shouldn't use when pg are:
    Sweet Fennel, peppermint, rose (first 4 months), basil, clary sage, hyssop, sweet majoram, nutme, pennyroyal, rosemary, sage (whole pgcy).

Lavender is defined as non-toxic, non-irritant, non-sensitising but you should be careful with any oil to not use for prolonged periods, and do not use neat directly on the skin.

I put all my "bad" oils away so I wont forget! I'll bring them out again down the track.

Fi

So is rose ok after 4 months?? Nah better yet, I think I will pack my rose oil away until after bubby is born - don't want to risk it.

Do you think Fi that any others are ok then?

Lets see if I can stay logged on for 5 minutes before this silly computer kicks me off the internet.

Leah, I`ve been falling asleep quickly lately but will toss and turn for most of the night and am always aware of turning so my BB`s don`t hurt.

Lesley you sound like DH - he seems to hit the pillow and fall asleep, I always like to have a cuddle before he does though.

The CD`s sound like a good idea, so does the lavendar but I`d be a little worried about using it at the moment as my dermatitis is playing havoc and my GP told me to stop using the cream for it so have been trying emu oil which is helping a bit.

Take Care

Deeanne

Leah - Bubs is due 29th April. A dream home how exciting.

Take Care

Deeanne

Sarah - that was from my perfect potions book, which seems pretty good.
    Like you, I wont risk the rose or peppermint for the whole pgcy. There are also a couple for high blood pressure that are no good, but thats not going to be an issue for us I hope! Although my sister had a problem with hypertension so she had to be induced.

If you are really worried why not see a naturopath?? They will probably be able to make you up a calming blend or something to use in the bath or directly on the skin. I dont think naturopaths are that expensive?

Another trick - cause I am having trouble with baths at the moment is to warm up the shower, then put a couple of drops of lavender into the base. It vaporises in the shower and smells lovely while you are showering - although doesn't last that long. I also put a couple of drops of lavender on my pillow an hour or so before I go to bed.

Fi

I put eucalyptus oil in the bottom of the shower when I have a cold!! So yup, have definately done the lavendar already.

Hi Girls

Just found this regarding lavender

Lavender - Floral Properties - Analgesic, Anticonvulsive, Antidepressant, Antiseptic, Antiviral, Bactericidal, Decongestant, Deodorant, Diuretic, Fungicide, Insecticide, Nervine, Restorative, Sedative, Stimulant, Vulnerary. Used For - To lower blood pressure and calm heart palpitations. Calming on the mind and body, good for insomnia, lung conditions such as asthma, colds etc. Excellent for most skin conditions such as abscesses, acne, athlete's foot, boils, eczema, insect bites and stings, lice and scabies. Excellent insecticide, very good for camping trips etc, bugs, cuts, bruises, trouble sleeping, car sickness, sunburn. Precautions should be taken for people with low blood pressure and pregnant women should avoid

Found this written by a natural health practitioner

Love and Hugs
    Kayla

hmmmmm... I've heard and read different. Even Midwives recommend lavender. I used it through out my 3rd tri with Em (insomnia). Although I did avoid it when I had low bp (not when I was pg), can make you feel even more tired!

Tanya

just wanted to add re lavender.. i was encougraged by my midwife and ob whilst going into labour to use lavender in my baths , so i didnt think it was a problem while pregnant..

Lesley

pandora315 Guest

I've given up trying to sleep. First I'll be exhausted and so I'll crawl into bed- then I'll have to pee. So I get up and go to the bathroom and then I can't relax anymore so I try to do what my book said and hold my breath for five seconds, let it out, and all the while tell myself RELAX RELAX, so I'll finally start to drift off and then BAM! the nausea hits. So I grab the bucket and vomit then roll from side to side for about a half hour until I try eating a dry biscuit then start to fall asleep....until I have to pee again....Its a cycle that never ends. I guess at 12-14 weeks everything is supposed to get magically better so there is some joy.

Anyone else get annoyed by their husbands or partners complaining that they didn't sleep well when you've been awake peeing, vomitting, or stressing out knowing full well they snored in blissful sleep for almost the whole night? This past weekend James was complaining about how I get to sleep so much and he never gets to sleep in- I think I visualized ripping his head off. See, mathmatically speaking in a week he gets almost twice as much sleep as me since yes, I get to sleep in till 8:30 when Carter wakes up, but since it takes until 3 or four in the morning for me to fall asleep I only get 5 hrs on a good day- Wheras DH who goes to bed at 10 o'clock and waked up at 6:30 gets 8 or 9 hrs. Men make me sick some times.....

Debbie Lee Guest

Pandora - I must admit that Neil has been pretty good considering I get up a few times a night and I am ALWAYS complaining. I don't have another little one to worry about either so I am just a big sook really.
    Sounds like James needs to sleep on the couch or something until he realises just how good he has it! You poor sausage! It's bad enough that you are feeling crappy without being made to feel guilty too!
    You are right, sometimes men just don't think! I am waiting for mine to say something insensitive. So far, so good!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12