Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: when did u/are u going to, really start buying stuff???

My advice - LAYBY! It's the best invention out for those with not alot of disposable income. If you use layby, you can have new things as the cost is spread out!

thanks guys i dnt feel like such an idiot parading round the shops in the baby sections with my tiny bump lol...

when we shopping for baby furniture stuff, i felt like a fraud as i didnt look preg. Felt like i shouldnt be in that section.
    Silly, but, these are the things that you go thru

where cosmopolitans and margaritas flow all night

We always said that we'd start buying things every now and then BEFORE we got pregnant. Still not pregnant but just don't have the means to buy stuff yet. (plus the room that our eventual baby will sleep in is currently the junk room).

Quote Originally Posted by seventh_heaven View Post
    Having a baby shower is a great idea! Make sure you give your mum / friend a list of things you need (that way she can secretly spread the word to all the guests)
    what we did for a friend's baby shower, was to get her to write a list, then we got a small note pad and wrote one item on each page, let people go through it and just pull out the page of what they wanted to buy - so we had an idea of what was and wasn't being bought for her. A few of us got together and put in money to buy a few "bigger" items (and some on the list that we knew she really wanted but nobody took the page). I did the notebook idea for my 21st and I got the things I really wanted/needed, I'd had the notebook sitting at my mum's place for 2 months before my party - so even interstate friends could ring mum up and ask.

I was also wondering the same thing about when to start buying, not that we're ttc just yet.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT ALL!!!!!

Hi,

Wow everyone's organised!

I have been checking out Target, Toys r us & K Marts websites each week and when they have baby sales I go in and buy stuff like nappies, blankets etc. Also have a look on the baby care nursery website as they have a sale at the moment. My friend advised me to just buy one box of newborn nappies in advance in case the baby is big as they grow out of them quickly.

Regarding clothes I wouldn't buy too much in advance because you don't know what your baby's size will be. My SIL has a 5 month old boy who is already in 00 and 0's depending on the brand. This should have been winter clothes but he is big so now needs summer stuff still in these sizes. As they are so cheap to buy singlets etc, you can buy them at the time so as not to buy the wrong seasons.

But buying toiletries and washing powder each week is a good way of stocking up, again wait for them to be in the sales. Also if you shop at Coles make sure you use Flybuys so you can build them up and then when you have the baby and are short of money you can redeem your flybuys as Coles vouchers to spend on baby stock!
    Last edited by {sarah}; March 14th, 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: removed link

Smile

Before I fell pregnant I bought a baby names book and another little keepsake book on motherhood for myself.

Since falling pregnant I have picked up second hand clothes from time to time and now have quite a few things for a baby boy or girl. (for next to nothing!) I have been given quite a few things also, a cot, 2 prams, bouncer which has been a great help, and I have another friend who has a car seat, change table, jolly jumper and a few other things for me when I see her next.

So although I have not really starting buying things yet I'm well on my way to being stocked up.

I have my 18 week ultrasound sound next week and after that I will be hitting the shops big time!! My main reason for waiting is to find out the sex so I can buy the right things.

As for nappies and creams etc, I think I will wait until closer to my due date to stock up.

Bess Guest

I have to say, both my husband and I are pretty anal so we like to plan well in advance. We have ordered/layby'ed just about everything now but we are superstitious about picking everything up until we have the 20 week scan.

We just found that it was easier on the wallet to start paying things off now while I am still working full time and enjoying a full time wage packet. That and I am wanting to be organised (and secretly love buying all of this stuff - oops not a secret anymore). I love buying new stuff and putting it in the nursery.

Just to prove what organisation freaks we are, we have already painted the nursery. I figure we aren't finding out sex so just going with neutral colours, we can start getting all of the stuff now anyway. I buy bits every week for the cupboard, even just nappies and baby wipes (whatever is on special in Coles that week).

Lets face it, you may as well be organised now because everything will be thrown in to turmoil when the baby comes so you may as well make the most of it!

Bess Guest

mum2bee, I felt like I had to stick my belly out when we went shopping so I wouldn't look like a fake! LOL, probably looked really stupid!

I bought all the big stuff by 15 weeks LOL. It looked pretty funny - you couldn't even see my tummy yet but I had the cot, pram & car seat!!!

This time I started buying a few things straight away, but we don't really need much. Just some MCN, that's about it.

bess lol i am showing now but its not really obvious to thos who dnt know me so i make sure when i am baby shopping i wear a tight top that shows the belly and put my hand on it alot lol

I had my first hospital appointment today and was so excited about my pregnancy I went out this afternoon and bought my first lot of "baby stuff" I am 17 wks but thought I would start now anyhow. Actually it was reading this thread and a post about buying something weekly that made me get some stuff....so today I bought....

1 box of newborn nappies
    1 packet of wipes
    1 baby bath solution
    2 small Avent bottles (just incase I need them, or need to express)

I have also bought bonds singlets off ebay, and some baby wraps of ebay.

I will put them all in the cupboard and build up a collection over the coming months.

So exciting.....

ive bought quite a few little clothes and singlets lol..my mum bought us our first pack of newborn nappies and wipes and is going to try and continue to each fortnight to take the pressure off... weve also been given a carry cot, a tent like thing bassinet thats hard to explain but its got a fly screen for if u wanna be outside, and quite a few second hand clothes and toys lol we have heaps of stuff and i am going shopping again this weekend.. apart from loving baby shopping lol its good for us to get things slowly now as we dnt have alot of expendable income, i know ppl will give us alot of clothes and things at the baby shower and when the baby is born but i have this real need to be prepared with this for some reason lol i dnt want to have a few throwing up issues and then all the clothes to be in the wash lol... u wait i'll get to 9 mths and the baby will have thousands of outfits that she will outgrow in three months lol none the less its fun!!!

We got given a whole lot of stuff when I was about 6 months pregnant (pram, cot, car seat etc), and that is also the same time I started buying stuff for baby. I really didnt buy much stuff at all because we were given so much and had no room to put any more stuff!

If you are into Ebay, quite often sellers will sell a "bulk lot" of 000 baby clothes which is ideal, as garanteed it'll be about the quantity that you need......and cheap too......(ie someone is selling what their baby has grown out of, so pretty much a "set" of what you'll need for the first 12 weeks..........)

(When I found out Charlie was a boy when I was pg with him, I knew I could "offload" all my 000 pink stuff, so sold the lot as a "bundle" on Ebay and described it as exactly that "Baby Girl 000 Pink Bundle - All a new Mum needs for for the first 3 months for her new baby girl!")

HTH........

i get confused with sizing now though coz its changed most newborn is now 0000

sajemsha Guest

SO far I've bought a lambs wool rug, lots of all in one singlets ooo + oo, some pants ooo, about 4 t-shirts for winter 000, a couple of wraps, a couple of bassinet sheets, some socks, a couple of hats and I have a cot (if I can find all the bits after moving house) I'll be getting a lend of a bassinet, I've got a cot blanket somewhere, I think that's about it for now. This is going to be our last baby but I'm keeping everything for my younger sister after I'm finished with it.
    I know that I'm having a girl now, so I can start buying PINK, so I'll have to hit the shops.....
    I think I'll have to sit down and make a list of what I need and what I've got and go from there.
    I LOVE SHOPPING

are most ppl buying 000 or 0000??? 0000 looks like normal new born size in most cases??? 000 looks kinda big?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast