Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: when did u/are u going to, really start buying stuff???

Question when did u/are u going to, really start buying stuff???

hey there i was just wondering when u start really thinking about stocking up on baby stuff??? we have started with a few small things but i assume time goes pretty quickly ffrom here??? does anyone have a stratedgy as to deffinately getting everything in time... especially for us we don't have alot of money what do ppl suggest???

DH & I pretty much stocked up major items at around 20 weeks, after our last u/s and once we knew bubs was ok (low downs syndrome risk, all limbs there etc...)
    I've gradually stocked up on nappies, washing powder, nappy san, breast pads, maternity pads etc.... when I do our weekly shopping and if/when those items are on special.
    I suggest having a look at some 2nd hand / preloved baby shops and places like the Salvation Army etc... You can get some really good 2nd hand baby clothes from the Salvation Army and the likes. Make sure that if you are buying stuff from those places that it meets Australian Standards. Also, do you have any friends that you can borrow things off? I am borrowing a craddle from a friend, a bouncer, nappy bag and I have been given a whole heap of cloth nappies and bunny rugs as well as 4 0000 body suits for use in hospital. You could also hint to a friend or relative about them giving you a baby shower..... (you might be uncomfortable with this??) I can't suggest Ebay as I've never bought stuff off there, but some of the other gals would give you some pointers about that.

I felt like I could really start buying stuff in the second tri. By 20 weeks I'd bought most large items (they're on lay-by until my nursery is ready for them). I'm not buying too many clothes and things, because my mum is buying heaps and I figure we'll get given alot of stuff. Also, we haven't found out the sex, so I just want to have enough little stuff, for hospital etc, and then we can sort out more gender specific stuff later.

I would make a list, prioritising what you HAVE to have, going down to what isn't really necessary, but you would like. Go around and price the items, and work out a plan of when you can afford each piece. I have bought some stuff from Baby Bunting, and they are very flexible with their lay-by system ie. they don't have a set amount of time by which you have to pick it up, which is helpful if you want to get started early. Be careful if you're lay-bying though, that you can afford the final payments in time!

If people offer you second hand stuff TAKE IT! Most baby stuff isn't used for that long, so don't worry about having all new stuff. If people are prepared to give or lend you stuff you'll save alot of money. Just make sure with car seats/capsules that you know the history (that it hasn't been in an accident, isn't more than 10 years old etc). Also look at purchasing second hand things too.

ETA I'm stocking up on the small things weekly too, so it's a little easier when I stop working. It's a good idea. If you plan on using disposable nappies, look out for when they're on sale and buy them then. Just don't buy heaps and heaps of tiny ones! Same with when Target and K-mart have their sales on baby stuff, make that the time you purchase what you really need to buy.

thanks guys - we already have got some things from places like salvation army they have stuff that looks like it was hardly/never worn, grandparents and great grandparents have already said they want to help us out etc my mums buying the pram and has bought some little clothes and things already... my boss who just had a baby three months ago gave us a carry cot which we will prob use for basinet and dps mum knows someone with a practically new capsule...
    i guess i mean like should we be buying things like clothes often or nappies etc i am kinda confused also about how much of these things we will need as this is my first baby and the sizes lol i am way over my head!!!
    my mum has said she will throw us a baby shower but i am unsure about it...

Hello, first time we started as soon as we'd done our interstate move (only cos it was hard to get good stuff in Darwin) but I'd recommend starting as early as you can so you have time to shop around before you get big and really uncomfortable. Also it helps to space the expense out if you get a big thing and a few small things each month rather than having to pay for it all in one big hit.

This time, I have no inhibitions, I've been shopping since we've TTC'd. Still waiting for gender info *hopefully* at 20 wks, but there is lots of things you can get in neutrals.

Basically think about the time of year (season) and the sizes work like this: if you have a normal-small, they will be 0000 until 3 mths, 000 until 6 mths, 00 until 9 months, and 0 -1 from about 1 year to 18 mths. If baby's a bit bigger you will prob skip straight past the 0000s into the 000s. Which is why you can always find 0000s in mint condition at the op shop! LOL

Books like 'what to expect when you are expecting' and the Miriam Stoppard one usually have lists of how many to get of what, but there's also a list on BB so have a look at the FAQs!!

i am not sure how big the baby will be i am smallish (i am only 5'2 and like a size 12 before preg, yes i consider that pretty small) and dp is pretty big (like 6' and very broad shoulders) i was born at around 7lbs i think not sure about dp i never realised u should buy 0000 i thought 000 was standard newborn size so lucky this was pointed out to me!!!

Unfortunately babies need lots of stuff. I started as soon as I found out my babies gender. That gives me time to chase down the bargins.
    I like to have enough clothes to keep me going for the first 12 weeks. Those first 12 weeks can be quite an emotional and physical transition.

Your baby is due at a great time because the weather will be perfect! Because your baby will be in mostly summer clothes, now would be a good time to check out the post summer sales. (All the winter stuff is starting to fill the shops, and you probably won't need too much of that)

One thing that I think is pretty unnecessary is a change table. I've had them - and hardly ever used them. So that is one thing you can put to the bottom of your 'to get list'.

Have you considered checking out second hand / preloved baby stores or garage sales for the things you need? They often have loads of baby stuff at a fraction of the original price.

Op shops used to be a good option too, but I have heard they can be a bit pricey these days.

Just remember to wash second hand baby stuff in an antibacterial wash. (Nappy san for whites, and/or canistan antibacterial wash) I don't think thats the right spelling - but it will give you an idea.

If your totally against the idea of second hand and have a tight budget. Maybe make a list starting in order of priority. That will save you from waisting money on the things you dont NEED.

Good luck.

what will baby wear in sept??? long sleves pants or not??? lol i feel like such an idiot coz i have NO idea!!! maybe a few lighter material long sleves/pants and the rest short sleves? i know we will have bunny rugs and things if it gets cold or whatever anyway but i was kinda thinking september would still be cold lol am i completely wrong about that???

What state to you live in Noni?

we live in sydney nsw

Noni, in September ther can still be cold weather from time to time. The nights can still be cold too. So while I won't go all out buying thicker clothes, baby will need something warmer to wear kwim? Here in September last year, we had a really cold snap that had us in full winter gear for 2 weeks before it started warming up again. Erin was a mid october baby and she still wore some longer things at night, cause the early mornings can still be cool then too. And you will be surprised at how much stuff you will be given once baby arrives too - I didn't have to buy clothes for Erin until winter LMAO.

Noni - we started buying after the 12week u/s
    We brought our big ticket items while they where on end of year special (lucky for us) but, from Target. Have got 2 older cupboards to use that dont match, but, am going to just give them a coat of paint.
    Everything else - i made a list of everything i could possibly need. From what i needed, to what baby needed, and the nursery. There is afew different threads on here about what people did and didnt get, and what people got, that was/wasnt usful. There is also a section somewhere (on the home page i think, not in the forums) about money saving ideas.
    Then, i went back thru thru the list, and crossed off things that wasnt a necessity, or that peoples hadnt commented favorably on. Remembering that baby doesnt care if the sheets match etc etc.
    Having a winter bub, i brought a heap of 000 bonds jump suits of Ebay, in gender neutal colours (have like 2 pink, 2 blue, the rest are white, green or lemon). And, every time i do the grocery shopping, i just grab 1 or 2 smaller things, so you end up with them, but, dont really notice the expense as much.
    I am also having a baby shower, and am planning on doing a gift registery, so i can get the few luxery things that i dont have, but want, like musical toys, mobiles, etc.
    Also, going cloth to save money (and the environment)
    I have some old queen size sheets that the stiching has come undone, and my mum has a few as well, we are going to cut them up, hem, and use them for cot and bassinette sheets.
    And check out the salvos etc, for cloths and toys. Just make sure you wash everything properly. Once baby is born, i have no problems with 2nd hand cloths and toys.
    Think about a toy libary as well, and remember, that peoples will give you lots of cloths once bubs is born, so, dont go overboard in the cloths department.
    You are not alone in feeling the expense at buying stuff, on top of all your other medical, and just living expenses.

ETA - instead of buying expensive wraps (as the cheaper ones, arnt that big) i have brought some cot blankets instead. I notice that woolies have flannyl throws, i think would do nicely for a wrap at night time.

I recommend buying in the second trimester but if you buy a bassinette dont buy a cot until the baby bonus arrives so you a) have room for it and b) can pay for it outright. buy your pram when you have really shopped around and make sure it can handle everything you want it to do. Make sure you can lift it to boot height or higher. aim for around 10kg. The most important thing to buy early is a car seat or hire one early on. this way you wont be stuck if you have an early arrival. aim to have it in the car at least 4 weeks early. buy it by the beginning of 3rd trimester. Other little things can be 1 or 2 items in with the grocery shopping. If you get a capsule you may only get 4 months use out of it, especially if you or your partner are tall, so it's better to get a convertible.
    If I think of anything else I'll add it later

alisondo - the only reason we might be getting a capsule is because someone has one that we are not using which would then give us time till the baby bonus to get a convertible car seat... my mum is buying the pram which is great so we will be going shopping for it together later on

Just make sure that the capsule you are given has a 5 point saftey harness rather than the velcro harness. The velcro version is now illegal.

If your friend doesnt come through with her promise, I believe you can rent a capsule from the ambluance service? It might be different in NSW though? (Im in Qld)

Having a baby shower is a great idea! Make sure you give your mum / friend a list of things you need (that way she can secretly spread the word to all the guests)

The weather in Sydney sounds very different in September. Dressing in layers might be the best bet. Are you going to find out if the baby is a girl or boy in a few weeks?

SH, I have been researching, and thought that although the capsules are no longer made with the velcro harness, those that have it are still legal? Just obviously not ideal

ETA I believe you can hire capsules from most councils, and it's not very costly either.

Will probaby start buying some things after the 12 week scan, and more after 20 weeks, provided we find out what gender. For September in Sydney, Nonie, you will probably be wanting some short sleeved things and cardigans, long pants - remember it is starting to warm up then, but with some cool days (I would get less long-sleeved things and wrap baby up warmly if it's cool). Also remember, especially with a first baby, lots of people will give you clothes when he/she arrives.

seventh heaven - the capsule is new i think, they bought it and the baby has now grown out of it... why you would buy something that only lasts a few months instead of on that converts is beyond me... we are hoping to find out boy or girl asap lol for no other reason but curiosity lol...
    i went out today lol couldn't help myself and bought 2 singlets one 0000 and one 000 3 short sleeved body suit kinda things 2 0000 and one 000 and 2 long sleeved and legged body suits but made from light material both 0000, i went when sales and stuff were on so only cost me 30 bucks yay lol... we have already started being given clothes too some second hand and some new..
    my mum gave us a packet of nappies and wipes today she said she will buy a packet (it was a 36 pack) each fortnight to stock up for us and take the expense off a bit.. she didn't buy cheap ones either huggies nappies and johnsons wipes so although i feel a bit weird having nappies this early its good to know we will have them there when we need them...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast