Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avent Isis Breast Pump - Might Wait??

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Avent Isis Breast Pump - Might Wait??

Hi

The only thing I need to buy is an Avent Isis Breast Pump, have done research and it's the one I want, just a manual one I think.

Was just going to ask for advice. I want to wait until after I have Bub to buy one, in case something goes wrong, like my milk doesn't come in or something (it happened to my Mum). I don't want to spend $110 on a breast pump and then not be able to use it IYKWIM?

What did you girls do? Buy one before Bub came along or afterward? And what's your thoughts on a manual one? The electronic ones are so expensive!

Thanks for your help.

Bindy xxoo

Taia's Mum Guest

Hi Bindy! I bought an electric one off ebay before bubs was born. Personally I would def. use a manual one next time as I had issues expressing. I used mine when I had tooo much milk and wanted to express some for bubs later - they are a good thing to have on hand.

Maybe get it once your milk has come in and bubs is able to feed ok?

I have that breast pump and love it! I bought mine on the way home from hossie as I had the same reservations as you.

There is always ebay which didn't really exist to the extent it is now back then. Sometimes some are put up that are hardly used and they go for a good price as well as sterilisers. Not sure if a 2nd hand breast pump appeals but once they are washed and sterilised they are as good as new!
    I had to get a replacement one as mine went walkies

I'm planning on getting it before baby comes. however my experience is probably a little different as i have successfully breastfed two kids already.
    I learnt the hard way the first pregnancy that i should have been better prepared. i had a nicu(special care baby)and was sent home well before he was discharged.
    As its not practical to be at the hospital back and foward every three hours i had to run around to shops and nursing mothers hiring machines and buying parts and filling out joining forms. things i couldnt be bothered with. I expressed for months and ended up just using the medela manual lactaset which was great but this time i will by the medela single or double electric off ebay. you can get 2nd had ones of ebay cheap and once theyve had a good bath in miltons solution theyre as good as new...

I got given the Avent manual from a friend but was planing on getting an electric off ebay because I've had trouble expressing in the past manually it just seems to take soooo long and I get about 30mls for my efforts argg! But I've not tried the Avent one it looks pretty good so I'll give it a go and if I have troubles I'll get an electric one off ebay.

I got the manual one and didn't send DH up for it until we had been home for a few days- I love being able to control how fast and hard it pumps. Good luck!

CatherineL Guest

Hi! I bought the same pump but the electric model. It's a great pump, but honestly I wouldn't have bothered if I knew what I know now. I too am like Tiff and don't seem to get great volumes with the pump, but the last week I have discovered hand expressing! I've been posting this all over the place today because I'm so excited about it. I seriously get so much more volume from hand expressing, almost 2 whole feeds and in a minimal amount of time. It may not suit everyone, but I've ditched the electric pump because personally I have found hand expressing so much more effective and doesn't irritate my nipples like the pump does. Best of luck with BF'ing anyway...

I LOVED it, I didn't buy it until a few weeks later, and now my sister is using it too!

Avent Isis Manual I found to be absolutely brilliant! I will be getting it out again soon as due NYE. I ended up getting mine for about $70 on ebay I think, but that was three years ago. If you cannot get hold of one to borrow until you know it will work for you, you may just need to bite the bullet and spend the $110. In my opinion and experience, money well spent!!! Good Luck!

I have that Breast pump and hated it. It gave me a rash around my bb's. Once the suction works though it is good pump. However as I was expressing after every feed to build up my milk supply the manual was too hard on my arms, so this time im going to get an electric one.

Hi - I have this breast pump and find its great, easy to use and easy to clean and sterilise (i also bought the avent microwave steriliser and all the parts go in there)
    If you are BF and want to express to build up a supply for the odd feed (or so your partner can do the 3am feed!) then I think you're only meant to express for about 10 mins, so I don't find that too hard or tiring on my arms.

Good luck with it all!

After working in a baby shop and not bfing for very long I ALWAYS tell my customers to hold off on the purchase of a breast pump, til bubs is here, and your established in BFing they tell you not to express too early anyway... not sure why on that one though.

I have bought that exact model so its good to hear a lot of you recomend it. I purchased it off Ebay second hand as I have not yet had my bub or tried BFing and didnt want to waste a lot of money if it doesnt work out. I think it cost me $35 including postage and is in excelent condition so not too bad! Hope it works out as I plan to go back to work part time at a couple of months...

~Belinda~ Guest

thanks everyone for your input into this, will grab one after Bub is born

Hi Bindy,
    I've heard that you can actually hire electric pumps from hospital - am planning to do this until I know that I can breastfeed OK. Then will make the decision....
    Sara

I was told by midwifes to express in hospital to bring my milk in... so used their pump thats what they recommended at my hospital. I guess people are told different things. I BF for 6 months.

~Belinda~ Guest

see that sounds more like a sensible decision! might do that then, thanks sara xx

Bindy, just remember you can take it back if it's unopened. I found it was better to buy everything beforehand in case you can't get to the shop s for a while... I was able to borrow the electric one in hospital, but also found it really helpful to have my own Avent manual one there and let the midwives watch me use it as they could give me advice on positioning, etc.

And as I said, if you've got it but don't use it, make sure box is sealed and you can just return it anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast