Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been told you are big?

Default Been told you are big?

My MIL the other day saw me for the first time in about 8 weeks. She told me I am massive and made sure I wasnt having twins. This got me down a little bit.
    I have compared belly shots from 28 weeks and then 31 weeks. I have popped out more. My last appointment at 30 weeks I was measuring right on. Now I am worried I have gotten too big or junior is going to be a big baby.
    Has anyone else had a really big belly and gone onto having a normal sized child?

I know its probably a common thing but it is getting me down a bit.

Awww hun.... I was told continually through my whole pg how huge I was(check out my pics in my sig if you like!!) and that not only was it twins - its triplets I measured about 1-2 cms larger than weeks through the whole pregnancy and Izzy was born at 8lb 13oz....so she was a decent size but not huge and she was also born 11 days overdue! Remember that its not just baby in there but fluid too and if you are measuring at normal range then there is nothing to worry about!

Next time someone says something just tell them that duh - of course you are big - you are having a baby for goodness sake and you have less than 8 weeks to go!! Be proud of your gorgeous belly and enjoy the last few weeks of your pregnancy!

I too was told DS would be huge, it really got to me and my confidence. Low and behold he was 7lb 13oz so spot on average. You can't tell from looking at a woman how big a baby will be, we all have different sizes and shapes and so do our bubs.

If your belly is looking bigger and you have recently gone through a growth spurt how awesome is that, it means bub is doing just what they should be doing...fattening up.

HTH
    xx Spring

no matter wat ur size peopel will make u feel bad saying ur either too small or too big. dont worry hun u will be right just ignore everyone

Although I have only days left, I have been asked TWICE this week if there are more than 1 inside. The first was an old guy that freaked me out. and the second was a sales girl in the National Geographic store. How Rude

Ah yeah how sensitive ppl can get huh?! My collegue used to tell me I was huge, her SIL was 2 weeks ahead of me and only showing half a belly I was showing.
    The other day at my midwife appointment I asked her about bubs size and apparently we are spot on when it comes to sizes!
    So let it go in one ear and out the other and if you're really worried, just ask your midwife/ gyno!

I know exactly what you mean about comments putting a dent in your confidence. From about 20 weeks I have been measuring at least 2 weeks ahead. People are always saying things about myl size but I have decided not to take it to heart (mostly) as I think a lot of the time they are just looking for something to say to me and that is the first thing that pops into their heads. My GP isnt worried at all about my size and last check it was not quite so far in advance so I think I am coming to a more regular size as the date gets closer. Try not to be upset by it if you can.... we are all different shapes and sizes when not pregnant so it follows that we wont all be the same when we are! If you have not a lot of space in your torso to house a baby (like me) then the only place for it to grow is out!!! And as someone else said, you know your body and the baby is doing the right things when it just keeps on growing. It should be a good thing and I know that people who are very small for their dates worry a LOT about that. And, hey isn't there enough to worry about already without adding to it things that you have no control over? If you are eating healthily then the growth can only be a good thing I reckon.
    Keep your chin up and your belly out proudly!!!
    Sazz

I honestly think people just don't know what else to say? Because its amazing how everyone seems to be an expert on what size your belly should be...
    After having numerous comments within the past few weeks, and having people ask me if bubs will be here by Christmas (when I am due midway in Feb!), I expressed my concern to my midwife... She then measured me, and bubs, and my fundal height appear to be perfectly on track... which was good to hear.

People can be so unhelpful!! But the thing is everyone has a different opinion - I have been told that I am big (and asked if I was having twins), I have also been told that I am really small. I have been told that by my shape I MUST be having a boy, and others tell me I MUST be having a girl! Everyone is very opinionated - but that doesn't mean that they are very knowledgeable (hehe). Try not to let it get you down!

It's annoying isn't it. I had someone say the other day, 'oh, so you're around 5.5 months now aren't you?'. I'm only just on 4 months. But I really don't think they know what to say. I've even had someone comment that now my belly looks pg, as opposed to just looking fat!!
    Try not to let it get you down. Your baby has the majority of growing yet to come, and baby (and you) will get a lot bigger yet, but it's the most important stage of your pg now, so try and cheer up a little and remember you're baking a beautiful little bubba in there, regardless of the size.

BTW ezz, happy due date!! Any niggles yet??

Just don't listen - everyone is an expert.

This is my history -

OMG - you are TEENY! 8 pound baby girl.
    OMG - you are MASSIVE - 6.5pound boy.
    OMG - you are HUGE, look at your BOOBS - 6 pound girl.

No one gets it right. If they say you are huge - agree. It ususally shuts them up.

I hate when people comment on your size.. Of course you have a big belly.. you are growing a human

I used to get offended when pg with my 2nd son when ppl would comment and I was huge but I didn't need someone pointing it out to me.

MIL's are the worse though.

I had this happen to my when I was preg with my DD, I was shopping just before easter so was about 7 months pg, and a lady asked me when I was due, I told her June and she then said, "oh and now you re going to tell me you are having twins" and i said oh no just one. Then she turn around and said,wow I was just being polite at that size I thought it was triplets................ I just stood there with my mouth open, not quite knowing what to say. Wish I had been quicker though and given some smart comment.

This pg. however, I dont think I hve had a single comment about my size and I only have 2 weks to go.

I was at an ante-natal get-together the other night and there was a mum there who is due the day after me...it's her first baby and she is the size I was at about 20 weeks. The midwives think I've got quite a bit of fluid.

I'm carrying all the weight in front and haven't really put weight on anywhere else, I look monstrous from the side! I'm definitely bigger this time compared to my first and he was 9lb 2oz.

I just ignore everything people say. I agree - I think mostly they just don't know what else to say - it is really pretty amazing the way our bodies can accommodate a growing baby plus a placenta to support it and fluid. When I look at photos taken of my belly the day DD was born, I think to myself 'There is no WAY I could seriously have been that huge!' So I tell myself other people are just so overawed by the miracle of pregnancy that they feel they need to say SOMETHING. LOL

I bought some 3/4 sleeve maternity t-shirts the other day and the checkout girl made some comment about having the baby before it is cool enough to wear them. I just smiled and assured her I would get use out of them - after all I'm due in JUNE!

dont worry , hun. it depends on your body shape as well. there are girls in my yoga class due at the same time but different sizes. I'm short, 158cm and have a short torso too, so I am sticking out. And ppl say 'oh you've really popped' D'uh, of cos! baby needs space somewhere! I;m 28 weeks and ppl are also saying that I'm going to get really big. But my ob isnt worried so I don't care. (except I'm waddling more and more!)
    If you and bub are healthy, and your doctor's cool, that's fine.
    Everyone has something to say all the time.

this is my third and I carried them all differently. This time I am getting lots of "Big" comments. I just ignore them. The last two, I had manypeople say "Oh are u pregnant?" Because I am a bigger girl, they thought a big belly was part of being me. It's not. Just ignore the people who comment. They have NFI how hurtful their comments can be....

Guy at work - gee, look how big you are!

Me - yes, that's what happens when you have a baby.

Guy at work - *silence*

Jenjams, I think sometimes people just need to be told! In a nice way of course......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast