Thread: Birth Plan..

Default Birth Plan..

I was just wondering how many people have a birth plan and what type of things have you put in it, my midwife wants to start organising mine at my next appt on Monday.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Here's one which I have changed the name on, it's from someone I know and is natural birth focused but you'll still get plenty of ideas. Hope it comes out okay I copied it from word!

Birth Preferences

Our full names: Sarah Smith & Joe Bloggs

We like to be called: Sarah and Joe

Our birth attendant’s name is Kelly Zantey

Other notes: We will be HypnoBirthing

We’re hoping for a natural childbirth without unnecessary intervention or the use of drugs. We have asked a birth attendant to be present at the birth to help us work towards this. We appreciate your support with our birth preferences.

This plan represents our preferences, however we recognise that in the event of unforseen difficulties it may need to be re-negotiated. In this eventuality please discuss all procedure options with us.

ACTIVE BIRTH

I would prefer the freedom to choose positions, use the shower or bath and walk around in labour as desired.

I would like intermittent external foetal monitoring unless continuous monitoring is medically necessary.

I’d prefer not to be offered drugs, I am aware of the options for pain relief and will ask for it if needed.

As long the baby and I are fine, I would prefer to be free of time limits, and not have my labour augmented.

To have an episiotomy only if medically necessary. Please allow time for the perineum to stretch naturally.

CAESAREAN

If a caesarean becomes necessary I wish my partner to be with me if possible or alternately my birth attendant.

Unless prevented by medical emergency, I would like to have immediate contact with our baby.

I would lilke the opportunity to try to breastfeed our baby in recovery.

BIRTH AND SOON AFTER

Ideally I’d like my partner to ‘catch’ our baby.

I would like my partner to cut the cord.

Presuming our baby is well I would prefer:

To hold our baby immediately after the birth. All newborn procedures (weighing and measuring) to wait until I have had time to be with and breastfeed our baby.

I am comfortable with having the routine Syntocinon injection to help deliver the placenta, however I prefer you to wait until the umbilical cord stops pulsating before it is cut and clamped.

I’d prefer our baby to have the vitamin K as an oral dose (as opposed to injection) if possible.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi,

yep, i had one. I had it typed out and whilst in labour they asked me for it - it totally went out the window (i had drugs, didnt get to cut the cord, and didnt breastfeed until 4 hrs later).

I had things in there like:
    *Whom i wanted in the room
    * Breastfeed/bottle??
    * Prefer not to be cut (i.e epistomy)
    *Prefer no drugs
    * Did i want to be sitting/standing ??? etc

I just expanded on each of these points and typed it up. Of course like pregnancy in general, not everything goes to plan, but was reasurring to have some idea of what i wanted.....

It doesn't matter if your birth plan goes out the window - at least they know what you prefer and most will happily work with you, but it's also important to address all scenarios so you can prepare for anything happening. That's why they (and I!) are trying to change the words 'Birth Plan' into 'Birth Preferences' or 'Birth Intentions' - must more friendly for flexability.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oh wow thanks Kelly that gives me a much better idea on what my midwife is after thanks

No worries - most of those internet ones are crap - especially where you just pick your answer. Some are too long. Birthrites has a good template but it's best to write your own when you have some ideas as it's more your ideas and not your ideas fitting into a templates options, iykwim? The one above I love, it's short, sharp and shiny so it will be read, long ones are never read and it's flexible too - willing to negotiate...
    Kelly xx

yes I think you are right Kelly does need to be changed.
    when my midwife told me 2 weeks ago we would be doing the birth plan at my next appt I was like what already and then I realised I would be 28 weeks and only have 12 weeks to go so scarry.
    Kelly the plan you have there is about what I am hoping for thanks again

Hi

Kelly, I found your template for a birth plan very helpful as even though it hasn't come up yet I know I will have to do something shortly.

Would it be possible for you to put the general idea of what should go in, etc somewhere on a resources link so that it is easy to find for those of us who will be doing this soon?

Thanks

Hi Girls

Personally I prefer a short point form birth plan. They are easier to remember. Also if you do make a birthplan make a few copies of it. One for the Midwifwe one for your support person one for your OB, and a couple extra for 'just in case'

Oh boy.. so much to think about!! I've no idea what to put in mine. I was kinda hoping to get away without doing one, but it's probably a good idea to have -something- down. Epidural scares me a bit, but I haven't discussed it in depth with my OB yet, he may talk me round. hehe.

Excellent topic tho, will be keeping my eye on it for ideas, as it sounds like the subject will be coming up soon for me too.

I must admit I never had an actual birth plan with Nicholas. All I said to Rob was no matter what I didn't want to have an epidural. My OB did ask if I wanted an epidural and I said no, he and the midwives were very good there, they asked me if I wanted anything for pain relief or not.

I am not sure whether or not to make one up this time either. :-k

Hi Kazz,

I didnt have onr with Maddy or Indah, just went in knowing I did NOT want an epidural, told the midwife that & she would ask if I wanted pain relief etc & with Maddy I had Peth, with Indah it happened & I was too late. But I did not feel a plan would have helped or hindered, for me I like to focus on the immediate situation & take it as it comes... I was really happy with both my experiences...

Fletch, I had no pain relief with Indah & had a Episiotomy & seriously did not feel a thing! Both Mum & Dh looked & pulled face like "OH YUCK!" then both looked up at me to see if I was in pain etc, but I did not even know she had cut me as everything was stretched tight & numb anyways...

I can't say i had a written plan but knew what i did and didn't want, which kinda all went out the window when i got pre eclampsia.

I therefore didn't get -

*Midwife care with no medical intervention -i wanted to opt for natural with maybe gas- was given pethadine for pain but it didn't work(don't you just love how those contractions hit you when being induced with drip as 4 lots of gel didn't work)

*I was dead set against epi......i was convinced to have one much to my dislike after about 1/2 hour of them telling me i should and DH having to convince me.

*wanted to be able to have a bath/shower and use birth ball - didn't happen due to epi.

*Didn't want constant monitoring but due to epi i had to and DS ended up with internal monitring due to heartrate irregularity.....which turned out he had a true knot in his cord 8-[ apparently not very common as i had the doctor asking if they could keep it!?!?!?!?and most of the midwives had never seen it.

Soooooo........this time I am too scared to try natural as now i know i can sleep and get through it with an epi, but on the same thing i also know i will probably need it as i am being induced again and the thought of no pain meds is scaring me. My thought is i would like to be mobile for as long as possible in order to shower/bath.

*i would love for him to be placed on me once born and for us to hold him for a while before he is weighed and bathed etc.. but as long as DS#2 arrives h&h i don't care how he gets here. I intend to b/f him as soon as he is ready.