Thread: Calf Cramps- Ow!!!

Default Calf Cramps- Ow!!!

I know calf cramps at night are pretty common during pregnancy- just wondering if anyone has any brilliant measures to deal with them? I've tried flexing my foot up to stretch the muscle, but its so tight I often can't do that. All that helps is rubbing it until it eventually goes away. Any better suggestions?!

Nope, sorry amberj, but thats all i do for them too, they really hurt!!!!!

I hope someone has a miracle cure lol

Hi Jessica,

I was getting them majorly too. I started taking a calcium and magnesium supplement and have had very few since then. Cramping is a sign that you may be deficient in either of these minerals and both are important for muscle contraction / relaxation.

Maybe give that a go. The magnesium might also help with contractions just making sure that your muscles are well and truly amped up.

just a suggestion.

Jules

smiles4u Guest

Wink

Ah, so sorry ... Me too ... I just massaged like mad

... And tried to walk heaps during the day when I could to help the blood circulation (it helped keep my weight great, only put on 8.5kilo's during my pregnancy)

My midwife told me today that we get them because of the lack of oxygen in our legs because the lymph nodes in our groin are cut off because of the babies weight on them. (Thats my quick non-medical sum up). She said that the only real way of getting rid of them is to rub them, however, if you do stretches before they hit you - say, at different parts of the day - it shouldn't be as bad as you get the blood moving through your legs. (Apparently)
    I just get DH to rub mine, and I had a heat pack on them last night as well. Didn't bother me during the night so must have done something!!!!

During my first pregnancy I got them too, and took supplements (calcium and magnesium) and they helped, but I still got them.. unfortunately!! Just one of those lovely things we have to put up with!!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

ALMONDS can help calf cramps but not ones covered in choc!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But Feeb, if chocolate is good for preventing pre-e, and the almonds are good for cramps, aren't chocolate covered almonds like a double good thing?

I've noticed that mine get worse if I don't drink enough water during the day. I usually have to wake my DH to rub my leg until the cramp goes away, which is a bad thing when he is on nightshift lol.

Also if I do a lot of leg crossing/squating/bending down during the day, I usually end up with the killer cramps that night as well.

I've been trying to have a nice shower before bed with the warm water running over my legs.

Nic

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Lol amber well very true but to choc coat the almonds they process them so nutrients are not the same sorry!!

Eat choc at same time and u will have same thing!!!

hehehe LOL LOL

I drink goats milk apparently this really helps haven't them since week 30. YEAH!
    PS Quite like Goats Milk now and I am lactose intolerant so I get some calcium!