Thread: Contractions but not real labour? Alan

Default Contractions but not real labour? Alan

Hey all,
    I have posted here awhile back about having b/h contractions since I was 27 weeks but the last 2.5 days I have been having these contractions every 10 - 15 minutes constantly.

My Dr said bubs would more than likely be early & has been head down in pelvis for at least 2.5 weeks so it's not like it would be a huge surprise but I'm just wondering if anyone else had experienced this & for how long it went on before real labour actually started.

The midwife said if there not painful & my waters haven't broken than I'm not in real labour but it is exhausting having these constant contractions so just wondered.
    I'm not sure if I should conserve my energy or keep moving to help the labour on.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jo - 27 (treated endo)
    Dh - 34
    Second chlomid / IUI March 2007 -

Hey Jo

to keep my answer short and sweet...the boys are in the bath

BH are runs of uterine tightenings, that may be uncomfortable, but go away with a change in activity. They are not associated with cervical dilation

contractions are different as they keep coming, increase in intensity and duration and are associated with cervical dilation

please ask more Q's if you need...but I need to go...lots of crazy laughter and splashing in the background

xx yogababy

Jo, I can't help on your question as I've never had BH, but just wanted to let you know that Alan won't be around for a little while as he's recovering from a heart attack. Kelly has posted about it here.

oh sorry BH...braxton hicks...multitasking

back to your question Jo...at 36ish weeks it may just be evrything warming up for the big event...this is prelabor and can last for a few weeks...rest and relax

when you do go into labor, the first part (getting to about 4cms) can take a while for some women...so dont wear yourself out, remain relaxed and conserve your energy...real labor will keep coming...in the active stage, walking around etc will get things moving along

at this late stage of pregnancy it can be really tiring with all the BH and the baby bouncing on your bladder every 2 seconds...pamper yourself hun...try some relaxation, or splash out for a facial or a massage

hope this helps

xx yogababy

With my dd i was the same from about 36 wks. The BH where timeable and reasonably consistent though did not increase in intensity or get any closer together but they would keep me awake at night and i was 4ever thinking is this it? I was eventually told i had an irritable uterus and it was some what pre labour. At 40 wks i had a stretch and sweep and was 3cm dialated but still had to be induced at 41+5! its not nice i know how you must be feeling but bub will come when ready.
    With this pg i am having BH that wake me also and can be very uncomfortable but are not at all regular. I find a warm shower or heat pack etc can help me feel a bit better.

Hi Jo,
    Its funny I am actually going through the same thing at the moment. Last week I was getting BH's on and off so my doctor thought he'd do a stretch and sweep on Monday. That certainly increased things, but the contractions aren't increasing in intensity and are still not regular. I am finding its getting pretty tiring, so I'm just trying to rest as much as I can. I think you will need to do the same. Apparently we will know when the real thing starts.

i am going through these stupid unrelenting braxton hicks at the moment too. sometime there is only a gap of 20seconds between them. unfortunately, you just have to put up wiith them.

i know it sounds cliche, but you really will know when the 'real' contractions start and you are really in labour. like everyone has told you they become more intense (painful) etc. but trust me when i say you won't be questioning if it is the real thing - you will KNOW.