Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you been induced previous pgs

Post Have you been induced previous pgs

I just wondering if anyone has been induced before or after due date vs going into labour naturally. My Obs suggested I can be induced early due to a condition I have. I can wait for labour naturally. I heard if you are induced it makes labour go very fast & may lead to tearing. Is this the case?

I have been induced in both previous pregnancies, for my DD it was at 36 weeks due to pre eclampsia, my labour was 4 hours and i had no tearing. She was 7lb 30z
    I was induced again for my DS as he was 40 + 10 days, my labour went for under 40 minutes again i had no tearing.he was 8lb 10 oz
    From what i can gather though i am lucky, inducing labour can tend to leed to more medical intervention .

P.S I had no forceps etc and no pain relief

There are heaps of threads about this on BellyBelly. Here's a recent one which should answer your questions. http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/labo...induction.html

To be completely honest with you, I had a very bad induction experience which made me vow to never have one again. I had a retained placenta which had to be manually removed under a general anaesthetic because to do so with only a local would be 'traumatic', a haemorrage that required a rather large blood transfusion and me not remembering a great deal of the birth because I had to zone out on gas and pethidine to get me through it. Having a fast labour and tearing are the least of your worries if you have one. Im not saying this to scare you or to put you off, and there are many women who have had inductions with no problems at all, but to ignore the very real possibilities of what can happen with one isn't in your best interest at all.

if your medical condition is not going to affect your baby then I would wait until labour starts on its own. Not only for the health of your baby, but your health as well.

please read this article too about induction from the main BB site;
    http://www.bellybelly.com.au/article...-or-not-induce

I haven't had a natural (or un-induced) birth (YET!!) but my induced birth was rather traumatic too. I was indused due to leaking waters. I was in labour for just under 24hrs, that's from nothing to contractions 5mins apart within an hour of having the drip inserted. It was painful and in my opinion my baby wasn't ready to be born yet. Because labour wasn't progressing, the ob kept on trying to push a c/s on me. I refused it, but about 2hrs before she was born, he was going to take me anyway and I nearly said yes. Thankfully I didn't give in. I was hooked up to machines to keep an eye on baby so I couldn't have an active birth like I wanted. I was in pain for so long I had gas and pethdine (which made me soooo sick) even though I didn't want it in my birth plan. She got stuck twice and it took me 3 hrs to push her out. I almost had to go under anasthetic to have my placenta manually removed cause it was taking so long to come out, I haemmoraged quite badly when it did come out (I think cause the dr pulled my placenta out). Breast feeding didn't happen when I first had her because I was just so tired. I didn't hold her or snuggle straight after birth she was left in her crib cause I was too weak and drugged up to really notice. I was just so relieved it was over. Breast feeding was very difficult for our whole journey (6mths) which I blame on a traumatic birth.
    I am going to do everything I can to avoid being induced again. In my opinion if you don't need to be induced (mentally or physically), don't do it. It can lead to a cascade of intervention which you may not have had if your labour started spontaneously.

I was induced wih my son. I would do everything I could to never be induced again. It was a very difficult and traumatic labour/birth. The doctor did the gel and the contractions hit hard within 30 minute. My son was born with forceps assistance 23 hours later. My advice would be if you don't need to be induced, don't do it.

Having had both i can say that the induced labour straight away started with contractions that felt the same as the spontanious labour at around 5-6cms dilated. So it was really hard and fast the whole way through. Whereas with the spontanious labour, i eased into it therefore i got used to the build up as it was slower and less intense. i hope that makes sense! So if you can i would definatly just wait and not be induced.

I was induced the day after my due date due to high blood pressure. I think i would of had him that day or the next anyway as i was already 1cm dialated when i had my first internal.
    i had 2 lots of gel inserted and about an hour after the second lot the contractions started hard and fast, no time to get used to the pain but labour was only 2 hours. My birth wasn't that traumatic and if i had to be induced again i really wouldn't object too much, although i was a little sad that i didn't go into labour myself.
    Induction isn't that great but not everyone's experience is traumatic

Claire Guest

Another traumatic story here too I'm afraid! Induced, epidural, forceps, 4th degree tear.

Needless to say I wasn't up for that again with my second! So I birthed at home, in warter and had a wonderful, joyous birth!

If it's not medically needed, I wouldn't go there! Do your reading and get armed with accurate information, make an informed decision.

I was induced with DD at 41+1 weeks and had a great birth..I have heard its more full on & faster then going into labour by yourself but I found it fine.
    I had her just under 4hrs and no tearing at all.

i was induced at 41+ weeks my waters broke at 2am and they said i wasnt dilatating enough. personally i think if ya dont have to be dont as it does make the contractions come quicker. i spent time in the spa at the hospital they said this would help with stretching. Altho in the end i was cut to stop tearing but that was the best feeling the release of presure down there wow that made a diff i delivered at 7 pm that night

I also have been induced 10 days early with DS and it only took 4 hrs. I ended up have a c-section but its alot quicker so Ive heard. Not sure about the tearing bit. Good luck hun!!

Hi

I was induced 10 days early due to high blood pressure. From the time they inserted the gel to the time my daughter was born was 47 hours.

Having the drip made the contractions come on very fast and painful and after a full day i was still only 1 cm. My husband told the doctor to turn off the drip on day one as i had not had any sleep the night before. They put the drip up again first thing on day 2 and the same thing happened again, it took another 6 hours to get to 5 cm. Eventually i had an epi and at 6pm on day 2 was ready to push. After 1 hour of pushing and the suction my daughter was born with only slight tearing ( i pushed to hard).

Next time i really hope to go without the induction, would prefer for nature to take its course (problems prevaling).

Hope this helps and does not scare you.

Suzi

I'm afraid i can only segregate the fors and againsts further. I was induced with both previous pregnancies and will be again (14 weeks now)-due to medical reasons. The first deliver wasnt so great but very big baby,epidural and forceps after 12 hours. 2nd delivery was a walk in the park,very quick and easy. No meds and all over in about 2 hours,no tears or grazes, no complications.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

If you are happy to share and it's not personal, can I ask what condition you have? You don't have to answer, I was just curious since the induction was a suggestion so I am assuming it's not a life threatening condition? Of course if it was, induction to save a life is worth it, no matter what experiences other people have. But if its something optional which isn't bad as such, then avoiding an induction can avoid further complications and interventions. So you might have an induction to avoid something minor but end up with something major. Inductions are the major component of the start of the cascade of interventions. When you have one, you are more likely to have pain relief, and epidurals, then you are more likely to have an assisted delivery (forceps or vacuum) and if that fails then you get the only other option - c/s. Happened to my last client - she had all of those things.... epi, vacuum (failed), forceps (failed) then code green - emergency c/s.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

When my DstepD was born her mother was induced as she was overdue. She had a very long and painful labour and I think forceps were used as well.

A friend of mine was induced due to pre eclampsia and she had a very painful labour and was unable to get an epidural so had to deal with the pain with just gas.

I don't know anyone IRL who's had a quick labour after being induced.

I'd say if you need it for a medical reason go for it, but if you don't then stay away from it as long as possible.

Hi there
    Just thought I'd give you a positive experience - just in case you do need to be induced.
    I have been induced with all three of my bubs , due to high blood pressure. With the first i was in labour for 8 hours, the second 7 hours and the third 2 hours. I used gas for all three and had no tearing with any. For me, being induced wasn't a bad experience. Having said that, i do wish i'd been able to feel what going into labour naturally was like.
    Good luck

Mumof2Girls Guest

I've been induced for two of mine and it's looking very likely I'll be having this one early via induction as well. I've had pre-eclampsia every pregnancy. Anyway, my labours were 5hrs, can't remember exactly for the 2nd one and 2hrs 45 mins for the third one. 1st one I had a small tear with gas and pethidine, they used the gel and broke my waters. 2nd no tears and only gas, had to break my waters at 10cm dilation. 3rd one I had gel, syntocin drip and broke my waters, I had gas and pethidine and only small grazes. Having had both natural and induced labours, I'd definitely prefer the natural, as it was the least painful. I was really hoping to be able to go into labour on my own with this one too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast