Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2

Default VBAC / EBAC Discussion #2

Are you looking to have a EBAC or Empowered Birth After Caesarean? Looking for some support or have a question? Post your thoughts here.

According to the Birthrites website, the risk for uterine rupture in a VBAC is extremely low. They state, "The likelihood of uterine rupture with attempted VBAC is 0.5%. (0.2% uterine rupture, 1.1% asymptomatic dehiscence from case control studies). The risk of hysterectomy and perinatal death from uterine rupture are 0.05% and 0.07% respectively in hospitals equipped to provide rapid laparotomy. (Australian VBAC study)"

VBAC RESOURCES

Birthrites (Aus) Lots of info on caesareans and VBAC
    VBAC.com - Provides childbearing women and maternity care professionals access to research-based information, resources, continuing education and support for VBAC
    CARES-SA
    Birth After Caesarean, Unlimited Possibilities by Caroline Daniels
    Caesarean Birth...Making Informed Choices (Birthrites Booklet, AUS)
    The Thinking Woman’s Guide to A Better Birth by Henci Goer - good section on VBAC and other important birth topics
    The VBAC Companion by Diane Korte
    The Birth of Aasha (DVD) by Tara and Garfield Darlington - a VBAC birth
    Obstetric Myths versus Research Realities by Henci Goer

If you would like to have your name added to the list of EBAC'ers please email with the following details to *Shannon* - [email protected] or you can email Nellbe - [email protected] or Kathryn - [email protected]

EBAC'er-to-be

Forum Name:
    Pregnant with: (second, third, fourth)
    How many previous caesars?:
    How many previous EBAC's?:
    Obstetrician/Midwife:
    Hospital/Home: (where, which hospital)
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: (support person, EBAC friendly Ob, books read)
    Notes: (supportive care giver? unsupportive?)

VBAC Vets

Forum Name:
    How many previous caesars?:
    Birthing Order: e.g. Natural Birth, Caeser, EBAC, EBAC
    Obstetrician/Midwife:
    Hospital/Home: (where, which hospital)
    What helped you achieve a EBAC: (support person, EBAC friendly Ob, books read)
    Notes: (supportive care giver? unsupportive? tips?)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

EBAC'er-to-be

__________________________________________________ ___________

Forum Name: Deejoy17 (Deeanne)
    Pregnant with: #2
    How many previous caesars?: 1
    How many previous EBAC's?: 0
    Hospital/Home: Maitland Public or Newcastle Private
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: Haven`t gone into all details yet
    Notes: Matthew was born via c/s due to CPD which was diagnosed via a CT scan, he was also a big baby, wouldn`t engage and I needed a crowbar to open my cervix plus he was already 6 days over due, so a c/s was decided on.

Forum Name: kirsty77
    Pregnant with: Number 2
    How many previous caesars: 1
    Obstetrician/ Midwife:
    Hospital: Kingaroy
    Birth plans: Thinking about it again.Am going to stick to my guns next time round!
    Notes: was induced as I was 7 days overdue.1 lot of gel and 23 hours of labour.Couldn't get past 9cm dilation due to they say small pelvis and Gemma's head bouncing around on my cervix, I say I was to stressed resulting in emergency c/s.

Forum Name: gabbysmum
    Pregnant with: second
    How many previous EBAC's?: None
    Obstetrician/Midwife: Public patient, whoever is on duty!!
    Hospital/Home: Royal Women’s Hospital Melbourne (Public)
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: Looking for minimal intervention, I feel I don’t have a lot of choice as a public patient and will have to be as assertive as I can be on this.
    Notes: previous c section due to breech which was not detected until 41 weeks, I was very disappointed that it was missed by the midwives earlier which gave me no opportunity to try to encourage her to turn at all.

Forum Name: Christy
    Pregnant with: second
    Obstetrician/Midwife: Midwife
    Hospital/Home: Redlands Public Hospital, QLD
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: A midwife team I attend, Doula, loads and loads of reading, supportive GP
    Notes: Everyone I've talked with are so supportive. DH is the most concerned but happy to do whatever I want.

Forum Name: Juliette
    Pregnant with: Not pg yet - thinking of TTC in February '06
    How many previous caesars: 1 (May 2005)
    Obstetrician/ Midwife:
    Hospital/Home: Kingaroy, QLD
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: Just getting my head around the possibilities at this stage
    Notes: Previous c-section due to FTP/CPD (PIH & induced labour)

Forum Name: kmh
    How many previous caesars: 1 (november 04)
    Obstetrician/ Midwife: Dr Rudy Lopez
    Hospital/Home: Dandenong Hospital
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: Loads of support through a MCN at my mums group.
    Notes: Previous c-section due to not dilating after 11 hours of labour and porlonged rupture of membrances and induced labour.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

VBAC Vets

Forum Name: Trish
    How many previous EBAC's?: 1
    Birthing Order: Natural, Natural, Caesar, EBAC
    Obstetrician/Midwife: Private Midwife
    Hospital/Home: Home Sydney, NSW
    What helped you achieve a EBAC: Great support network, understanding and very caring midwife, loads of research done both online and by reading books on homebirths and waterbirths.
    Notes: Do lots of research and know what your options are. Knowledge is power.

Forum Name: Mumofbundlezofjoy (Vanita)
    How many previous EBAC's?: 1
    Birthing Order: Natural Birth (twins), Caeser, VBAC,
    Obstetrician/Midwife: Dr Simon ( vbac and csec)
    Hospital/Home: Warragul hospital
    What helped you achieve a EBAC: MUM, EBAC friendly Ob, lots of books, and info from websites read
    Notes: WHATEVER YOU DO, _________RESEARCH
    You are hiring the DR to do a job FOR YOU, and so you are in charge, More power to the birthing woman!!!!!!
    Last edited by BellyBelly; September 4th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

HERE is where you left off...

Thanks Mate! I then realised I could do it myself ](*,)

Congratulations Dee

hi just wanted to join your little tread.

Forum Name: kmh
    How many previous caesars: 1 (november 04)
    Obstetrician/ Midwife: Dr Rudy Lopez
    Hospital/Home: Dandenong Hospital
    Birth Plans to help you with a EBAC: Loads of support through a MCN at my mums group.
    Notes: Previous c-section due to not dilating after 11 hours of labour and porlonged rupture of membrances and induced labour.

Just wanting to join to get support off other people going through the same thing.

tiggy Guest

Dee, I'm so happy for you

Hey girls I've just been reading a book this last week called: A Thinking Womans Guide to Better Birth by Henci Goer. Its been good, somewhat empowering, but also gave me a good sense of the guilts for having an emergency c/s last time, like it wasn't an emergency....and if I had been better informed then I wouldn't have had that trauma. Then I felt really sorry for myself and had to put the book down. I started it again this morning and its going better now LOL... its amazing how you can read something that doesn't point the finger and still feel like its your fault or you didn't do the best for you & your baby. So its a great book actually and full of information and will help this next time around, BUT...if you are still feeling bad about a previous c/s, don't do it yet! LOL... my little book review

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Ooooer Christy, great you are reading it, fantastic book. It's great for first timers. but of course anyone can read it and get stacks out of it. It's not intended to offend anyone but has some hard hitting info in there which can be confronting. But definitely empowering.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Exactly Kelly, I am getting so much out of it. Like this week the hospital said basically that their "preference" is that I am continually monitored throughout birth and after reading I know I can make decisions on that even, so I don't have to stay in bed the entire time... (I may just stay at home )

Same goes with one of my VBAC women () she was told the *hospital* policy was to be continually monitored but her Ob, Lionel 'Vaginal' as he's known, was fine with only intermittent monitoring as usual. So if the hospital isn't on side, your Ob may be, but even then, YOU CAN JUST SAY NO! What chance are they giving you for a VBAC if you are on the bed continuously?! An unfair one.

I think women just need the information behind them and to feel they have knowledge in order to feel confident making their own decisions; like so many books I recommend do offer. I'm so pleased you are reading it and I only hope more will read it!!! VERY empowering if you want courage.

I am sure lots of people think I am a 'freak' for wanting a home waterbirth next time - but it's all from my own reading, learning, reasearching and and the great support I now have in the birthing world. It's no longer an 'unknown' full of risk, danger and fear, and I do not see birth as a medical event but a completely natural life event - as natural as digestion There is a place for intervention and I am well aware it's not always rosy, but the problems often result from intervention (almost every intervention can be related to an epidural) and the genuine need for intervention is very low. So I trust my body and trust my babies
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kelly, just sticking my head in to say "well said". I have some great books on waterirth. I had to buy htem from America as I couldn't get them here. Can't remember what they are called atm, but I will dig them out and find out for you.

I had so many people look at me when I say Tehya was born at home - on purpose. It's like if it happened by accident then thats ok, but why would you do it on purpose. People forget that only 100 years ago it was actually the norm to be born at home.

Take care
    Trish

I find I have to buy them OS too, I have Janet Balaskas 'Waterbirth' book which is GREAT!

I actually expected my dad to freak out the most about it when I told him my plans, but he didn't bat an eyelid, seemed somewhat excited and said, 'I was born at home too, in front of the fire,' and he told me that 5 of his brothers and sisters all were, apart from one who was premmie and in hospital. His dad kept the fires warm and stocked up while him mum gave birth - how beautiful!!!!

ps. great to see you back Trish!!!
    Kelly xx

Kelly, I also have the book that you mentioned, as well as 'Choosing Waterbirth' by Lakshmi Bertram and 'Waterbirth - A midwifes perspective' by Susanna Napierala. I found reading all of these books gavve me something to take from each of them. Information is power and was trying to absorb as much infoabout waterbirths beforehand.

My Mum was so very supportive with my decision to birth Teh at home. When Mark said he didn't want to do it at home Mum offered her house.

Your Dad sounds fantastic. What a sweet story he told you of. If I were ever to have another baby it would be at home again. No questions asked --- hmm I wonder if that's why Mark doesn't want any more

Take care
    Trish

Yeah actually its the hospital's policy, but the midwife said its basically the OB's who like women to be continuously monitored, and didn't say much more...

I actually don't have an OB. I have chosen to do midwife care with 2 visits from an OB at the hospital, one in 3 weeks and another at 38 weeks... so I won't have much to do with them at all.... (which is a relief to me).

Its great hearing about waterbirths too. I actually ordered my books from Amazon all from America. I just had them sent to my Mum & her post them out to me. I've got 3 more on their way... I think the reading has helped me so much in preparing for things.

Christy, I have the thinking womans guide on hold at the library - Kelly reccommended it, I can't wait to get my hands on it, have been doing a lot of research, Phillipa gave me some excellent links etc, not sure if she sent the links to kelly or not?

Can I also add to the must have list "Affirmations" I had the ones from the Hypnobirthing book printed out and copied and pasted allover the house, like the back of the toilet dooir, on the friedge and places where I would stare and read it iykwim? I swear this helped "program" my brain iykwim?

If anyone wants a copy let me know I'd be happy to share!

And ditto to what Kelly said about monitoring! Find out the policy and also make a "plan" with your carers so that they understand ie 15 mins ever hour or something, although I think mine was less than that ROFL! I don't remember its all a blur!

*hugs*
    Cailin

oh yes please Cailin!! I'd love a copy of those!

Done Christy I think it really helped me soooo many times, especially when I started to doubt myself.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast