Thread: Horrible cough and cold

Default Horrible cough and cold

Does anyone know (Alan) what is 'safe' to take when you have an awful cold. My sinuses are blocked, my nose is stuffed, I have a headache, sore throat and this afternoon I have developed an nasty (dry) cough and I am having difficulty breathing. I am feeling like crap and just wish I could take something more than just panadol, especially because of my cough as if that wasn't there I could kind of cope, but everytime I lay down I start coughing and wheezing.

DH wanted me to go up to hospital tonight but I just really didn't feel like sitting in an emergency waiting room for hours.

Oh you poor thing im sorry you feeling so crap atm. I cant be any help as im not sure. Hope it goes away soon and you start to feel better. Take care

I know you can take antihistamines.. um... polar something i think they are called. They are safe all through pregnancy. Ask your pharmacist for the proper name, cos I can't remember it!!!!

Sharon, this thread had a couple of suggestions, maybe something to help you out tonight? http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/preg...-pregnant.html

Hope you can find some relief

Nic

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I think I will find an open medical centre this morning as I am coughing so hard am making myself vomit and finding it very hard to catch my breath

Hi Sharon,

Hope you are feeling better! Guess what? I was just about to post the same post as you.

I am due in 4 days and out of the 9 months, I get the cold now!!

Does anyone know if it actually affects labour or the baby and the breast milk if I have the cold?

Thanks!

phoenixml I have to say that the Fess nasal spray was fantastic, it really helped to loosen the nasal congestion. I did end up going to Dr on Easter Sunday as the cough was just awful, could hardly breathe etc, and she prescribed panadeine forte because the codeine in it helps to suppress a cough, but I was only to take 3 a day and she suggested 1 in the morning and 2 before bed to help me sleep, worked really well on the sunday, but when I took the 1 panadeine forte on the monday at around 10am by lunchtime I was feeling nauseas, very dizzy and light headed, and extremely lethargic, I ended up calling the midwifes after an hour or so feeling like this and they said that it was probably a reaction to the codeine, so needless to say, I stopped taking them. As for your cold effecting your milk etc, I don't think so, but it may make labour a bit more difficult for you, so I hope that you can get yours cleared up before you go into labour.