Thread: Iron Supplement

Default Iron Supplement

My OB has recommended that I take the Ferrograd C iron supplement. Does anyone know exactly how much iron is in each tablet??

I have a friend who is a naturopath who told me if I ever need an iron supplement to get it from her as her's doesn't have the constipation side effect. I ran it past the OB and he said it's fine as long as the actual dose of iron is the same (he thought a naturopathic one wouldn't have enough iron). I haven't looked at the Ferrograd bottle yet so don't how it compares (although i don't know how much the naturopathic one has either!!!!)......thought I'd start my research here as you girls are pretty good for quick answers!

my Ob put me on Fefol which has 270mg of dried ferrous sulphate (equilalent to 87.4mg of elemental iron) folic acid 300mcg. He told me to take 2 capsules a day (one in the morning the other at night). I know it's not the same Iron suppliment but thought it might give you an idea of how much you need.

Hi Danda
    When my iron levels were low I started taking Ferro-Grad C but stoppped as it didn't agree with me in the toilet department.
    I still have the bottle - it says to take one a day and that each table contains
    "325mg dried ferrous sulfate equivalent to 105mg of elemental iron and 562.4mg sodium ascorbate equiablent to 500mg ascobic acid (vitamin C)"

thanks girls. that's what i wanted to know. I will compare those amounts to the one that my naturopath friend is suggesting and see how it compares. I will let you know. I hope it compares cos I'd love to avoid constipation!!!

The naturopathic option only has about 35mg of iron compared to 100mg. My OB has told me to take a double dose for two weeks then go back to a normal dose.
    I am thinking I will start with the OB version and then if i have digestive "issues" i might go half and half with the naturopathic version???
    I'll see how I go!