Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Labour Bag

The hospital has towels doesn't it...I don't remember packing towels last time, so they must? Gosh, my last stay was such a blur...
    I've got the bra dilemma too - what I'll have to do is have a 'last minute' list for dh or me to fill out, like mobile phones, wallets, electric toothbrush...

I think my aim is just to keep that 'last minute' list to a minimum, so it only takes us 10mins or so to sort out.

A couple of things I found important

labour bag
    camera (obviously but we forgot this when DS was born had been taking pictures of belly and nursery before hand and forgot to repack - very disappointing)
    lollies/snack for you and hubby (my hubby appreciated this)
    Change of clothes for hubby - I tooko his swimmers but he just got into the shower with me fully clothed and changed afterwards
    Waterbottle/gaderade
    comfy nightie/change of clothes - think are you going to be comfortable greeting visitors in pj's if bub is born in the morning?
    new grandma undies - nice and wide and supportive but ugly enough to throw straight in the bin afterwards.
    soothing shower gel - lavender is nice and good for healing
    Address book
    tennis ball/massager so you don't wear out your support persons fingers

I prefered to use the maternity pads supplied by the hospital for the first day as they are the serious surfboard, industrial strength ones plus they give you the little blue pad to sit on for when (not if) you leak.

I also choose to wear the hospital gowns (when I was wearing clothes) as then they take it away when it's all mucky and yuck instead of poor partner taking it home to wash.

Hospital stay
    comfy but nice clothes remember people are going to be visiting and wanting pictures, don't assume you will be able to fit back into normal clothes after the birth, that saggy baby belly is very unattractive :-)
    shampoo/conditioner/cleanser/toothpaste Most hospitals don't supply these
    maternity bras have a few or a partner willing to wash
    plastic bags to store soiled clothes in
    couple of pairs of pjs
    book/hobby in case you are blessed with a sleepy baby
    diary/baby book/journal
    snacks with DS I was so hungry esp at 4am when feeding and brekie wasn't until 7am, DD hossy supplied a full stocked fridge with yoghurt, fruit ect
    slip on shoes
    going home outfit for you and baby x2 because no doubt one of them either won't fit or you won't like on the day
    plastic sauce bottle/wipes for irrigation after peeing! V important if stiches/grazes - our hossy had a bidet which was slightly weird but useful

All the best

Nelle, I was just going to suggest for everyone a 'last minute list'! Thank goodness I had lists for my bags, including a last minute one. Because I went into labour at 35 weeks, I hadn't finished packing my bags, and I would have forgotten stuff for sure if I didn't have the lists! But as it was, I just went around calmly packing things, crossing them off as I went.

Wow sounds like lots of hospitals provide pds for mums, mine didn't so make sure you check that out when you're getting organised

Nettie, maybe get trave sized toietries? I've got travel sized toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner, body lotion & body wash all ready to go, makes the bag lighter & you don't have to pack them later on.

Just wondering, if you are having a caeserean, do you have to have a labour bag???

Nup! You don't use any of the labour stuff like, lollies, drinks & that sort of stuff unless you want them for your stay later on. I would highly highly recommend granny undies though. Nice high ones that are a firm fit. Also make sure you have some spare thick surfboard pads to put on your wound for extra comfort. It was quite funny I had one pad for lochia & one pad for my wound all the time LOL! I had problems bending over to put pants on so elastic waits skirts were good that I could pull down over my head!! Otherwise make sure your pants are highwaisted as hipsters can be irritating.

Sarah - unfortunately I use sensodyne toothpaste and I've never found that in a travel size Also, I know I can get shampoo & conditioner in travel size, but it wouldn't be the one I'm used to and nothing is worse than straw-ey or fluffy hair to me!

I may get some of those travel bottles & pack my regular stuff in them so it's not so bad... that might work!

Thanks for the suggestion though! Lucky for me I only live about 300 metres away from the Hospital, so DH can always go & get me something if I've forgotten!

Ok - I'm just about ready! Saw my MW yesterday so I finally know what the hospital provides so I can finish packing!

They don't provide me with pads, so I've got 2 packs there now - that will do for the time being (DH can fetch more if I need!). They clothe bubs and provide cloth nappies, so I'll just pack a few things for taking he/she home (and for us to practice with expert help!).

I've also managed to get a sample sized sensodyne toothpaste from my local dentist! I asked if I could buy it, but they gave it to me for free! Good thing considering I've spent thousands of $$ there over the years!

I've also picked up some travel bottles that I'll put shampoo/conditioner in - so thanks Sarah for the advice! I feel a bit more prepared now (not that it's in the bag yet!).

I'm sure all the other wonderful ladies have told you the "Must haves" but I just wanted to say that the one thing I didn't think of was SOFT toilet tissue. The hospitals supply toilet paper... more like sand paper after you've just given birth!!! So thats the one thing I STRONGLY RECOMMEND. Luckily I have a wonderful MIL who brought super soft toilet tissue with her when she visited & left it in my room saying I'll be needing that. (I know I'm so lucky!)

Dont forget to pack SOFT TOILET TISSUE/PAPER (IMO haha)

Good luck, I'm sure you've got everything ready

I'd forgotten that one Danielle! I took my own lovely, soft toilet paper, and it was a god send!

I have actually packed a resealable pack of the sorbent wet wipes, I am only planning on being in hospital for 24 hours so will make do with them.

Hi,

one thing that really shocked me was the knicker situation. In the beginning after I had Noah they kept checking because I was having a high volume of blood loss and I never got a single stain on any of my knickers. I had black, tan and white and I never had to throw any pairs out.

I used the kotex maternity pads and they were by far the best they are very thick and I hate pads never use them normally but the thickness was actually a really good thing really comfy. The midwife showed me a great tip which was to useedtwo pads at a time and overlap them and then you are covered front to back real comfy for afterwards and probably helped keep the knickers nice! lol

I took way to much in so my tip would be just take basics for after especially for your room because I had a small room and it would have been a lot better if I didn't have so much stuff in there.

I wasn't able to eat during labour because of the high chance of having to have a c-section so they wouldn't let me but I was definitely hungry! and about thirty minutes after Noah was born I ate and ate and ate. I had a 5pack of frozen poppers and I had all those they were fantastic. so if the hospital wont let you eat or you're worried you wont feel like eating they are great!! because they're frozen it kinda fels like your eating something.

Oooh - I forgot to mention that there's a freezer in the 'kitchenette' by the labour ward I can use to put my ice blocks in! Yay!

And as I have 3 support people I can send any one of them out for supplies whenever I want them...

Finally got some baby clothes to pack as well, so I'm nearly all done (except I've got to put it all in the bag! Then I'll make up my 'last minute' list.

I've only got 3 weeks left til due date so I'd want to be finished with this by the end of this week - just in case!

Quote Originally Posted by Jas View Post
    I used the kotex maternity pads and they were by far the best they are very thick and I hate pads never use them normally but the thickness was actually a really good thing really comfy. The midwife showed me a great tip which was to useedtwo pads at a time and overlap them and then you are covered front to back real comfy for afterwards and probably helped keep the knickers nice! lol
    I found that using a kotex with a libra goodnights worked very well. The libra gave good coverage at the back, with the kotex place more towards the front.

Thanks for all the info girls!! My bags are packed and are in the boot of the car ready to go! I need to write down a last minute list though so we don't forget to pick things up like camera!! I would DIE if we forgot that!!!

Also never thought to use two pads at one time for extra comfort.....very smart!
    Last edited by rustygirl; March 16th, 2008 at 03:23 PM. Reason: typo

**Just bumping - have a Q**

For those of you who have BTDT, did you actually wear a dressing gown? I did take one last time, which I think I may have put on once, but the hospital was so hot I really did not need it.

This time around I have a nice big fluffy winter weight dressing gown and really don't want to take it due to heat issues and the amount of space it takes up in the bag. I have already had to buy new sleepwear, my old flannie pj's are totally shot and were too hot to really wear last time, so I have bought lighter stuff. So if I want a lighter dressing gown I will need to buy one, not an easy task at my size (about 20), normally I like to go 1 size up in sleep wear and most stores barely go above a 16, let alone to a 20 without looking like a grandma. Have looked online and am looking at a lot of money. I doubt I will be wandering around much, if I am capable of it or wanting to do so, then I will just check out and go home. Should I bother trying to find one? Did anyone find one useful?

I wanted to take my dressing gown, but figured it would take up too much space, so didn't pack it. Just as well, because the hospital was plenty warm enough, and I definitely didn't need it. I did however take a lightweight summer wrap JIC, which I didn't really use.

I have bought a big cardigan - from cotton on body, but they are everywhere at the moment. It is wrap style and has a hood. It does up nicely above my bump. I figure I will wear it during the day over trackies/jeans and can put it on at night if needed. Plus will be useful at home after too, plus I will look all fashionable too. Which I am sure will be a concern after giving birth. HAHA

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast