Thread: Leg cramps arghhh

Unhappy Leg cramps arghhh

I had the worst leg cramps last night, which kept me awake all night last night arghhhh so it will be a very long day ahead arghhh

Has anyone else had the leg cramps and know of any remedies to prevent them?

Shell xxx

rachi-girl Guest

Hi Shell,

Try tonic water.
    It has quinine in it which is suppose to help with cramps. Although the amount of quinine in tonic water is only small I have found it to work really well.
    Through my second pregnancy I just put up with the cramps (mainly in my calf muscles), this time round I have been drinking 2 glasses at night, one with dinner and one just after and since drinking it I have had no cramps. Last night I did not drink any as I did not get home till late and sure enough I was up in the wee hours jumping around with a leg cramp.

I have also heard that vitamin B may also help but have not tried that.

Rach

Yep - tonic water, or if you're like me and don't like it then try Schweppes Bitter lemon. It has the quninine in it too. I have one each afternoon and it seems to work well. I've heard that calcium, magnesium and/or zinc can all help too. Basically everyone seems to have their own ideas about what helps and what doesn't. Try asking your ob/midwife for some suggestions too.

I'm having issues with leg cramps at the moment too. I think the cramp I had the other night pulled a muscle in my calf because it has been really sore for a couple of days.

I am trying a magnesium supplement. Apparently magnesium is helpful in muscle relaxing. I've not had any more cramps since I started taking the supplement, nor have I had restless legs.

I'm going to talk to my homeopath about it this week and if she says anything significant, I'll let you know.

Hope today isn't too bad!

Magnesium supplements should help it does take a little while for it all to kick in though!

Shell,
    Magnesium rubs can also be bought through chemist - my sister is a footy trainer and when the guys come of the field with a cramp this is what they get - along with a lecture re dehydration as this can also make symptoms worse.
    I rarely have cramps after increasing my fluid uptake and i rub the cream on if i get a cramp and days that i feel dehydrated.
    They are awful and i woke screaming with one several months ago, i hope this helps for you as well as it did for me.
    BTW i thought that you shouldnt have quinine when you are pg - i could be completely wrong here thou

coolies thanks

sammiejane - the small amount of quinine in tonic water is fine. it's the quinine tablets which are too strong when pregnant. There really is only a minute amount in tonic water, but it is enough to help with cramps.

i got terrible calf cramps on a nightly basis for about the last five months of being pregnant. i tried both tonic water and magnesium but neither worked for me however my chiro gave me a good trick for stopping it before it gets to bad (if in your calf muscles)....when you start to feel it coming on if your laying down bring your toes towards your head ie stretch your foot as far as you can towards you... works everytime!!