Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: maternity pads

Jenstar Guest

Default maternity pads

Not sure where to post this. For those who have had previous births, what do you recommend are the best and most cost-effective maternity pads to buy?

i used kotex for the first few days and then moved to the libra ones but i only used one pack of each and then went to normal pads. The kotex are quite thick so if you have stitches etc they are a little gentler (so i've been told i had CS's with both of my pgs) The libra ones are thin but longer etc. I had very minimal bleeding though 9prob due to the cs) and gave my maternity pads away as i'd stocked right up. I did find the kotex ones great for putting over my CS incision so my clothes didnt rub.

The hospital should supply you with some for the first couple of days. i usually try and take some of those with me even though they are immensley ugly and huge they work really well. After that I use the libra ones I think - they are pink anyway. By the first week the flow should have slowed down a fair amount and you can just use the normal heavy flow/overnight ones

Jenstar Guest

Yeah, I have given birth twice before but just can't remember what I used. I know I went through quite a few and hospital didn't really have many to give me.

Sorry - I didn't even look at your sig :-) now I feel like an idiot :-) I found it really hard to find specific 'maternity' pads in the shops there is only one or two brands.

I think I used Stayfree at the start? They looked like surfboards. Then Libra. This time around, I know about cloth pads (not that I've had a chance to use any, either being b/fing or pregnant! ), but I've heard they're super comfy, especially if they're topped with something nice and soft like a velour...
    Someone who actually knows about cloth pads might pop in and tell us more. I figure what with all the labour and nb poo, I won't be too fussed about washing pads.
    Cloth would be most cost effective though!

I won't be forgetting the flushable wipes this time around either! They were a real luxury last time, loved them!!

Jenstar Guest

Saram, don't be silly. I appreciate you responding. I remember some are thin and long, some were fat and bulky and some had 'wings'. Can't remember what brands are what.

i cant remember what brands i had, however i did like ones with wings.

I had a mixture of brands as i just bought them as they were on sale while pregnant

I used Libra good nights with wings...extra long ones!! They are for overnight and maternity.

I tried Kotex after DD1 birth but they failed me..but Libra done the trick.

The are in purple packaging.

I used kotex first, then the libra ones and they were both great! The kotex didn't have wings (but were very thick!) and the libra did. I kept stocking up whenever they were on special
    All the best!

Whichever were thick! Great for stitches.

I have the Kotex ones for the first few days... 2 packs of them, and then the Libra Maternity after that I will just use the normal pads depending on flow this time round... last time I had slow flow for 3-4 weeks... good luck

Sorry kind of OT but I am wondering what type of knickers you used for the pads. I am wearing Bonds hipster or similiar currently but am not sure if they will fit a maternity pad in them.

I have been thinking about buying a packet of 10 'nana' knickers for about $6 -8, you know the ones - high waisted with prints. I don't want to ruin my comfy ones but I want to feel like me too. It would be good if I could lots of cheap black or plain colour ones. The other issue is that I imagine I will still be wearing my maternity jeans which are below belly so may get undie overhang. I guess will have to make sure my tops cover it.

I liked the Kotex ones the best, nice and thick and soft. Not a fan of the Stayfree. I used the surfboards for about 2 weeks as I had stiches. Like sitting on a pillow LOL!

Luey... I bought the 10 pack of granny jocks... they are really comfy after birth and you don't ruin your nice bonds undies!!!

Definately Kotex Maternity if you have stitches. I wore them for another 10ish days after flow had stopped because they were so terrific padding sore stitches. Then the libra Goodnights.
    Re underwear. For postbirth I bought some Target brand cotton ones for $2.99 each (all diff colours available) and in a bigger size than normal so they were extra comfy and my 'nice' underwear didn't get ruined. In saying that the Target ones have been much comfier and better quality than some of my nice ones!!

Jenstar Guest

I bought about 10 black large cotton undies. You don't want any colour other than black - trust me.

i used the kotex ones as well but didnt really have a great deal of bleeding though so after the 2nd day i used the kotex just regular ones. I found the kotex ones were great for my cesarean sca like hoody said lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast