Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: maternity pads

I used the Kotex maternity and then Kotex and Libra "normal" ones. I also had a pack of the stayfrees but they were so huge and uncomfortable so will be staying clear of them this time.

I had to laugh when a friend bought some really pretty lace knickers for after she'd given birth - her thinking was she'd been in ugly maternity stuff for so long she was getting back into the pretties asap. Boy, was she disappointed!!

Aww your poor friend - lacy pretties in BLACK perhaps?

I think im going to buy mens jox!
    I used a pair of DF's when i had bad thrush because they were a lot comfier than mine - and i figure well they've already got the extra room in the front and all!

As for pads, ive got a pack or two of kotex (from previous recommendations on BB) a pack of libra maternity (pink pack) and a bunch of homebrand super pads for if my water breaks at home (mum said they come in real handy).

i had kotex for the first few weeks and then went to stayfree!!

the kotex came in handy for when the c/section scar split open(only a little) and it had yukky stuff weeping out it soaked it up well while i had the day inbetween seeing the doc and then he check it out and put his stuff on it!

~Belinda~ Guest

I had Stayfree and they were really good

I am a huge massive fan of the Depend Underwear (like what they use for eldery and incontinence). They have soft mess for the sides that you just rip to take them off. You have absolutely no spillage and no stained knickers. They are so comfy and can also be used for c/sections too. I have put so many people onto these and they have alll agreed. I can't recommend them highly enough.

I am also a fan of the thick ones for the first couple of weeks and then onto my regular brand.

Luey - I bought 2 x 10 packs (I was a little paranoid about all the blood, I think!) of the *lovely* cotton print undies from BigW for a couple of bucks and they did fine - since I still had a bit of baby weight on my hips, my nice bonds etc would have been too tight.

Dan - oooh - I never thought of using those Depend Underwear things. I think I will get a packet for the first couple of days. I guess you could put a pad with an ice block in them too if you needed to soothe sore bits? Or would they not hold they weight?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoody View Post
    i used kotex for the first few days and then moved to the libra ones but i only used one pack of each and then went to normal pads. The kotex are quite thick so if you have stitches etc they are a little gentler (so i've been told i had CS's with both of my pgs) The libra ones are thin but longer etc. I had very minimal bleeding though 9prob due to the cs) and gave my maternity pads away as i'd stocked right up. I did find the kotex ones great for putting over my CS incision so my clothes didnt rub.

yeah this was me.
    I still have pads from my son that i will use this time. my only advice is i would only buy a pack of each than just normal ones, its usually not as bad as they make out. you can always get more.

Yup, Kotex here too!! I had some stitches and these didn't irritate them so I'd say they were pretty good. I had fairly heavy bleeding and didn't leak or anything.

I used stayfree. My hospital only gave me one straight after birth. I guess it really depends oh how much you bleed. For me, right after birth i think i was changing it every, what felt like, half hour, as i bled quite alot. I might try the Kotex ones this time though.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 29th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

frazaled1971 Guest

i was talking to the midwife the other day and she said the best thing she ahd ever herd of was someone using medium sized baby nappys for the first 2 days as it us almost impossable to leak and you can just keep the rest for bub in a month or so,i have not tried this before but as this is bub number 6 and i do bleed heavy for the first day or 2 im thinking maybe lol

I have only ever used the libra maternity ones, then the normal libra ones & good night ones.

For the first day or two I've used stayfree maternity - not that the brand meant much to me....

for bub #2, I used cloth pads from day 3 onwards - I was home anyway so the initial frequent changes weren't a problem. But they are more comfy than silly plastic disposable ones, saved me a heap of money, and my post partum bleeding was much shorter than with #1. I'll be doing the same again (I'll actually be using the left overs of the disposable packet from last time....)

Um, an eco-friendly alternative is to get the weenees biodegradable pocket inserts and use them as maternity pads. I believe they might be flushable?

I like the Libra ones because they have the trivia on the back. Gives me something to read and I amze DH when I emerge from the loo with astonishing facts to share lol

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

i didn't know about cloth mama pads when i had my bub, but wish i had. The disposable maternity pads i found chafed my skin and moved around alot.

now i am a user of the cloth mama pads and have realised how comfy and easy they are, next time around i would buy post partnum/night mama pads instead. e.g at The Cloth Pad Shop online, see under Noonee Wilga, i really like the pads she makes and she will customise them to your individual needs. i would choose 33cm long for post partnum, PUL backing for waterproofness, velour for the topper (next to your skin) and definately wings. But the beauty of the customisation, is that you can request what YOU prefer.

just like the disposables, cloth pads vary, some are bulky like a surfboard effect, some are so comfy you don't know you're wearing one.

for ease of laundering, i would choose a coloured or dark topper. The flannelette is great for hot weather but needs more laundering. THe velour and microfleece is easy care.

obsidian star post partnum (or Goddess length) are also very good.

i have bought some of the libra ones but i was thinking of just gettin the night time ones seem to be the same kinda thing.

i used kotex aswell for the first couple of weeks...then went to libra

I have just been in hospital and cause of advice prior to going into labour- was well prepared.
    I bought a pack of 5 low cut briefs from kmart for $7, then another pack of granny style the same. As I had an emergency caesar, I couldnt use the lowcut. But was able to use the big knickers and throw away each day. I was told to take 4 packets of pads to hospital, had one thick lot of pads that I wore with heavy loss initially then changed to the thin libra pads at home, my lochia comtinued for two weeks so used them till then. I was cutting them down in size by the end- but didnt want to waste them!
    Hope this helps- be prepared for either a vag birth or a caesar!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast