Thread: no appetite

Default no appetite

Hi all,

Has anyone else found that they have lost their appetite of an evening? I'm not feeling nauseous or anything, just have no real desire to eat. I eat pretty good throughout the day and always seem to munching on something and drinking plenty but when it comes to dinner, I just don't seem to have a taste for much at all. Now I know I should be eating/drinking well to give bub everything it needs but the thought of force feeding myself just doesn't seem right. It doesn't happen every night but maybe 2 or 3 times a week and because I know that I should be having something, I'll just have some beans on toast or peanut butter on toast. I am not waking up starving the next morning either. I have just had my test done for gestational diabetes but don't get the results until the end of the week and since I have previously been shown to be insulin resistant, I am wondering if this has anything to do with it.

Any advice would be great. thanks, Joe

hi Joe...

I am much the same i think it has something to do with in the 3rd trimester your tummy gets all squished up or something. I have been feeling a little sick also though every now and then. But I have found for the past 2 days I have had an enourmous ammounts of veges, and a bit of fruit and I feel so much better today for it... maybe for dinner dont eat big meals, maybe just something juicy that is hydrating, like oranges, or watermelon or something light If you know what I mean. My appetite seemed to of vanished since 30 weeks, especially of an evening I find I am most hungriest of a morning. I hope you can find a way to beat it. If your worried about it having to do with being insulin resistant, or gestational diabetes, be a great idea to talk to your doctor, or midwife about it. good luck!

Hi Joe,

I am only just inside my second tri but I have been having troubles with loss of appetite (and have a Dh who thinks I need to be force fed) We chatted to our GP about this and he just told me that its normal and to just do what my body tells me and that bub will pretty much take what it needs from me anyway.

Don't know if third tri is different in that respect but I guess as long as your nourishing your body as best you can bub will get what it needs regrdless?

I have been the same for months, my Ob told me that if I don't feel like eating then there is no need to force myself, this baby is growing (will definitely be a 9 pounder or more) so he is obviously getting all he needs from me anyway. I have only put on a total of just over 4kg during my whole pregnancy.

I was not that hungry in my third trimester. I ate, but about half of what I normaly ate and was never really that hungry around dinner time. Mostly ate in the morning and early afternoon. Just wanted to say your not alone

Yup, you're definitely not alone.
    I was like this nearly my entire pregnancy. Worst in the first TRI, because if i didn't eat even though i wasn't hungry my MS got worse.
    Maybe try an add a supplement like Sustagen into your diet. It's just a thick (horribly textured - make sure you use a bamix or a blender to get the lumps out... or melt in boiling water first) chocolate powder you mix with milk (or water but i never tried that) that's full of nutrients, will filly you up a bit and provide a bit more for bubs. I used it a lot until i was about 26 weeks and i got force fed :P

Quote Originally Posted by ashnant View Post
    Maybe try an add a supplement like Sustagen into your diet.
    Thats such a great idea , they also come in a small prima sized drink pre made. They are delicious when chilled too. I used that a lot when I use to dance as a quick meal between heats, they are sweet though.