Thread: Painful Braxton Hicks?

Default Painful Braxton Hicks?

Just wondering if many people have had painful Braxton Hicks contractions. I have been having braxton hicks for quite sometime but last night they got real painful like a period type cramping feeling.

My belly would tighten and i would get a cramp and then when the tightening went away so did the cramping, this happened for about 4 hours. I had a hot shower and it seemed to slow down after that.

Are they painful Braxton Hicks or could they be something else getting my body ready for labour?

Oh yes!! I have been getting Braxton Hicks since 25 weeks, and they have only been getting more painful. Some nights I can't even get to sleep they are that bad, I have to walk around and take panadol. Apparently they can get worse with each pregnancy, so, if this is your first they shouldn't get too bad.

Butterfly_Princess Guest

I had painful ones the other morning, and i still get them since then, but this one particular morning it was so bad.
    I dont know exactly how long i had them for, but it was well over an hour. i had 'normal' period pain, but every 5 or so mins id get a tightening and the period pain would be so painful, and would wrap right around the my lower back as well. I was literally doubled up in pain.
    If your concerned maybe call your MW or OB??

This is my second baby and i didnt get any braxton hicks at all with the first one so its all new to me.

I'm not worried about going into labour as i have a feeling the baby is a long way off coming.

This is the first time though that they have been painful, they have never been painful before this.

Hi Ange
    for some women Braxton Hicks can be quite painful. Sometimes walking can help to ease them but this can be a little difficult due to the pain. If it is really bad a couple of panadol may help

I've had an increase in Braxton Hicks over the last 3 weeks and they have become more intense as time has passed. I've gone from having them in the evenings to pretty much any time of the day. It's funny but I have started to get used to them even the painful ones. I have found walking, laying down and warm showers helpful in coping with discomfort and pain.