Thread: Qn for those who went o/due in a first pg

Akeesha Guest

Default Qn for those who went o/due in a first pg

I just have a question for those of you that have had more than one baby.

With my first baby they kept changing my dates and in the end when I went overdue (by what they decided was 11 days) they induced me and that ended up in an emerg c/s.

Anyway my main query is for those of you who have gone late in your first pg. I know It's no indication that any other pg's will go over but I did want to know who did go early second time round even after going late first time? I guess I am looking for some positive stories. I know the first pg will have no real bearing on it but I cant help but worry that this time I will end up going over again as well and miss out again on the natural process.

Might seem a silly question but I am curious.

TIA
    Lisa

Lisa ALL of mine have been overcooked bubs! 10d, 21d, 3d (induced), 11d & 8d. They kept changing the dates of my #2 as well, but when he came out he was most definitely overcooked.

Lisa,
    I was induced, at 11d over, but she was definitly not overcooked - not wrinkly at all, and there was still heaps of fluid on the scan. Just OP so she wouldn't come out by herself.

My sister was overdue with both, and induced with both. The first was really because of blood pressure, but the second was quite late.

I think if you have a scan at 41weeks and still have plenty of amniotic fluid around the baby, there are no issues and you are still feeling OK, you might be able to get them to wait until 14d over, but it will totally depend on your hospital/OB etc.

Good luck, I'm hoping I wont need to be induced this time either.

Fi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

There was a study done by Harvard I think some time ago, they found that first pregnancies were found to have a longer gestation period than second or subsequent. My two were both early, but the best date to go by is your LMP or last menstural period. Ultrasound is not 100% accurate and the most accurate scan you can have I think is if it's done at something like 7 weeks or earlier - as it's based on normal developmental stuff - as baby gets older, genetics takes over and baby grows at his / her own rate, so you get an EDD based on mathematics, which I think is crap because you end up with all these inductions as a result of mathematics. So if you have a bigger than average baby, they may induce you based on the fact of size and not proper development in baby's own time which is a worry.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

There is no accurate way to get your EDC.
    You are right Kelly. The U/S scan at about 7 weeks or so is perhaps the most reliable way to get your EDC but even this can be out by 1 week either way. Midwives consider anything between 37 and 42 weeks to be term.

Akeesha Guest

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions.

Well going back to DD's due date it means that while yes she was overdue it wasnt by 11 days at all. Had they let me go another week then maybe she would have come out on her own. According to my LMP then with her I was due around the 10th and not the 3rd. When she was delivered, she looked perfect. So not at all overdone.

With this one my LMP is hard to go off as I had 2 m/c before hand and therefore my periods are very hard to guage. Going off when my last period was, then I should have been due on the 1st, but they said, when they told me I was pg at first that I was more than likely due a week after that. Which I guess would make it around the 8th. They were going off my hcg results which at 4 weeks (when i thought i was 5 weeks) they were 50. The doc said they didnt correspond with 5 weeks but better with 4. So they sent me off for a scan at 7 weeks and I was given the 10th of Jan. So now not sure whether I am already overdue or atill have 8 days left..iykwim.

I know it's perfectly safe to go late, it's more my mental state thats the issue. Number one, the though of still being pregnant in 3 weeks when I should have a baby by then is very depressing. Plus my DD starts school at the very end of this month and the biggest nightmare I have is missing out on her first day. I cant bear that thought and neither can she. It would forever make me feel horrible. I know it might seem petty to some, but really, I feel very sad about the thought of ever missing it.

Anyway I am not sure where to put myself today as I am feeling rather down and depressed and keep thinking that I am never having this baby.
    Despite all I have been trying and all the signs I have been getting I feel like I am no closer to having it than I was 5 weeks ago. I know babies come when they are ready etc etc..but it doesnt help when your emotions are already screwed.

God these emotions and things during pg are so bloody hard!!!

Thanks again to all.
    Lisa

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Awwww Lisa, I know it's hard - but perhaps it might make you feel better if you can reinforce to yourself that you are doing the best thing for your baby by giving him / her a chance to come when ready - and you are giving yourself the chance at a more natural labour than an induced one. Keep teling yourself this and let positive thoughts take over.

Accept the lastest possible due date you have been given and if baby comes early then it would be wonderful! Check out the natural induction methods on the main site, which you can get started with now and hopefully bubs will come earlier than later. It's such a huge build-up for labour for just one day so hang in there! Afterwards you might wish differently. With the school thing, I am not sure when school starts back but will it be more difficult to co-ordinate with a newborn in arms than if pregnant? I am not a mum to school children yet so I am not sure when school goes back and how that fits in with your dates...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thats interesting that its most accurate on LMP. I'm as regular as clockwork, and my last pg and scan complelely concurred with dates. I was still 11days later induced, and like I say - she wasn't even a tad wrinkly.
    One of the midwives at the FBU got REALLY cranky once and said - Babies DO NOT take 40 weeks - they take between 38 and 42 weeks, and thats just all there is to it.

The problem is - how many mums actually want to hang on til 42 weeks when they are already over, in summer, sick of being big and uncomfy, not sleeping at all, prelabour every single night (plus during the day), sore, tired and of course just a tad excited!

Lisa - I hope it all works out for you.
    Fi

Akeesha Guest

Thanks ladies

Kelly - Thanks again for your advice : )
    I have looked at the natural induction methods and am using some aromatherapy at the moment and also getting acupuncture. I figure thats quite enough as I am just doing what I can to help encourage bubs and to also promote a natural healthy labour.
    Re the school stuff..well I am due on the 10th of Jan and Tyra goes to school on the 1st of Feb. If I am still pg then, then I am most likely going to have gone insane lol. Since the day i was given my due date I knew I was going to have a newborn at her first day and it really makes little difference to the big day iykwim. I dont think at that point that it would be easier to be pg..considering I will be a fair way overdue. I am prepared tyo have had a baby at that point. Its more the concern that I go into labour towards the end of Jan and am still in hospital and I miss out.

Fi - I know what you mean re who wants to be 42 weeks pg. I know alot get that far but no one wants it. Thanks for the kind thoughts!

Fingers crossed bubs comes soon and just doesnt decide to do the stupid way over due trick.

Lisa