Thread: small for dates

Unhappy small for dates

i'm aiming for a VBAC and my ob sent me for an ultrasound to check foetal wellbeing - i'm just over 40 weeks. according to the sonographer the baby is very small, i think 2.8kg (or about 34 weeks) but i was so shocked i can't remember half of what she said. apart from size all appears well, it's all in proportion and very active.

my first child was 3.4kg born at 41+2 and apparently it's unusual to have a much smaller second child, so there's a possibility of placental insufficiency, as well as possible genetic factors (me being a small person - although i think i was a pretty decent-sized baby).

anyone had a smaller second baby or have any reassurance to offer? i'm in a terribly anxious state waiting to hear back from my ob about all this.

Is this the first ultrasound you have had for alittle while? what were the messurements like at your last scan?

I hope all is well & its just a little bub.

Don't forget that ultrasound is rarely correct in predicting the size of the baby, so bub may very well be bigger than they're saying.

I just wanted to agree with Sarah that U/S's arent always correct at predicting size. I wish you all the very best with your upcoming arrival. Please let us know how everything goes for you. Hugs

Thanks fionajill, sarah_h and csab.

my last scan was at 19 weeks and all was fine measurement-wise.

i know the ultrasound measurements aren't terribly accurate - the sonographer told me the accuracy range but i can't remember what it was - but she seemed to get a very clear head measurement. my ob had given me a size estimate of something like 3.2 - 3.6kg and my uterus has been measuring normally, although i know these things are quite variable.

now i'm wondering, if the baby's so small, what the hell's in my uterus that's making it so huge??!

Hi mgm,

In addition to the great advice you have been given by the other girls, I wanted to tell you that although its not the norm for 2nd babies to be smaller....it could just be the combination of genetics coming into play.

My boys (baby 1 & baby 3) take after my side of the family, and were both 9 pounds (just over 4kg), but my daughter is small like my DH's side....and she was only 7 pounds - which was a shock for all of us - imagine actually using OOOO size clothing......I thought it was just for dolls! LOL! My boys were immediately in OOO, and shortly after into OO.

Don't stress!

xx

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Exactly what everyone has said... they can make mistakes! Also my first was 6lb10oz (2.99kg) and my second was 5lb15oz! Both born happy, healthy and safe.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I'm another one who had a smaller second bub too - first was over 9lb and my second was 8lb 8. it isn't unusual to have a smaller second baby either - I was actually told at my booking appointment at the hospital when we were joking about the possible size considering my first was a big bub and she said that if it was another boy, it was likely to be bigger, but if it was a girl then it could well be smaller. But none of that is set in concrete, just the way things can be sometimes. I'm sure your baby will be born at a size they are meant to be.

I was measuring "larger than average" for my dates and gave birth to a 2.9kg (6lb7oz) baby. I am also short so I think when you are small, bubs has nowhere to go but out which often means you measure falsely large (if that makes sense).

I have quite a few friends who have had smaller 2nd babies - my step sister now has 3 boys and each time they were smaller than the last, the first 10lb10, then 9lb7 and this one 8lb12.

Ellibam Guest

my first was 9lb 3 and my second was 8lb 6!
    i wouldnt worry to much about it at this stage! your only days away from knowing for sure!

I have a friend who had an average 7.5 lb baby boy 1st time around, then her second baby was only 5.5 lb (a little girl) and everything was fine, her daughter was just very petite.

I thought I would share with you my childerns sizes.

5pd 7oz Boy
    7pd 5oz Boy
    8pd 3oz Girl
    6pd 12oz Girl - I was expecting that my babies were going to get bigger everytime I had one due to the trend I seemed to be getting, I was thinking how big was this one going to end up, and to my surprise my youngest was the second smallest. I also agree that genetics plays a role, as my first takes after my side with his size, my grandfather and my uncle on my mothers side were very petite and my brother isnt real tall either. My fathers side were taller, and my DH's side are similar. Yet it is also amazing on how all of my kids have characteristics from my side and my DH's side of the family. Even my youngest although she looks more like my DH's side, I have an old photo of my Nanna who was around 3yrs when it was taken and she has the most cranky look on her face. My youngest gives out exactly the same cranky look, and yet they look very similar too. My DD thought it actually was her. lol.
    Try not to worry too much hun, please let us know how everything goes for you. Hugs

Smile

Thanks everyone who responded. My lovely little girl was born on Friday 11th April weighing 2.93kg (6lb 7oz), so the sonographer was just about spot on. Thankfully she's perfectly healthy, just small. I asked the ob about my placenta (birth was an emergency caesar) and apparently it looked fine. I wish I hadn't known about the size; it made the last few days of my pregnancy very stressful anxious ones. I was in tears during the op because I was so worried about the baby - luckily it was over quickly and I was SO relieved to find out she was OK.

In case anyone out there has the same worry, I can confirm that it is DEFINITELY possible to have a healthy second child who weighs much less than the first!

A huge congratulations to you MGM on the birth of your Baby Girl. So glad all turned out well for you and your family hun. Lots of hugs.

Congratulations on your baby girl - she weighed exactly the same as mine and she is perfectly average now