Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strep B

lol
    we all have these bugs crawling all over us all the time

So what is the likelyhood then, if I tested negative at 34weeks, to then have a positive by 40weeks? They dont retest later do they if it is negative at the first test???

If they test they usually only test the once. There is a chance that if you test negative at 34 weeks you could test positive at a later time. However even if you are positive the chance of your baby becoming infected is quite low.

ok , good to know. I think I have enough things I can worry about if I need without adding another to the list. I never seem to have a problem finding somthing . Thanks for the reassurance.

~Belinda~ Guest

I've never been tested? But I had final blood count a couple of weeks ago now, the last one before Bub is born. It didn't state it on the final blood test though, it just said FBC on the form. Should I be tested do you think?

Hi Bindy
    It is not done with a blood test it is a vaginal swab
    Unless you are showing signs of an infection I personally don't think that it is needed. As I said in an earlier post many places no longer bother testing for it

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks Alan, DUH! I thought it may have been a blood test or something! Nah Ob hasn't offered to do one. I can't wait for this Bub to come, I really want to meet her!

I tested +tive during pregnancy #3 (urine infection) and due to my waters breaking and no labour after 4/5 hours I was induced after having IV AB....I really detest being induced via drip.

This pregnancy I am treated as +tive again....I have expressed my wish to labour at home as much as possible but if my waters break I am prepared to go to the hospital and have a drip but choose not to be induced....I wonder how supportive they will be with my decision...I also wonder if I could go in and get the drip (cannula??) put in, have AB's and then go home...

I have grade 2 (?? 1cm from cervix at 19weeks) placenta praevia (sp??) so still need to wait and see if I can labour at all, all fingers crossed I can, but gosh I wish it was all simple

Hi Robbo
    First they have to accept your decision. They can not make you go to the hospital just because they think you should, also if they can not induce without your consent. It would be very unlikely that they will let you go home with a cannula in your arm, but if you insist then they may be willing to give you the AB’s then take the cannula out before they let you go home. Unfortunately they may also want you go go back to the hospital every4 – 6 hours for more AB’s. I’m not sure why they are treating you as +ve. Just because you were +ve last time does not mean that you will be +ve this time. Your placenta being low at 19 weeks is not too much of a concern. In most cases your placenta will move higher as your pregnancy progresses.

Hi there I was positive too, and was give AB during the labour at regular intervals but not via IV drip (maybe b/c I went into spontaneous labour), but it was all for nothing as I had an emerg c/section in the end. But when I Q my dr about it, she said it was part of our natural flora and not to worry too much

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Hi Robbo
    First they have to accept your decision. They can not make you go to the hospital just because they think you should, also if they can not induce without your consent. It would be very unlikely that they will let you go home with a cannula in your arm, but if you insist then they may be willing to give you the AB?s then take the cannula out before they let you go home. Unfortunately they may also want you go go back to the hospital every4 ? 6 hours for more AB?s. I?m not sure why they are treating you as +ve. Just because you were +ve last time does not mean that you will be +ve this time. Your placenta being low at 19 weeks is not too much of a concern. In most cases your placenta will move higher as your pregnancy progresses.
    Thanks for that Alan..

Hospital "procedure" really frustrates me....I will make sure to talk over my options and my choices with my midwife at my next appointment so I can be clear in my birth plan if my choices deviate from the "expected"....

I have already told DH that I would rather have this baby at home then get induced and he didn't seem to concerned about it ...or maybe he just didn't get how serious I was .

Thanks Again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12