Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swollen labia at only 29wks?

Default Swollen labia at only 29wks?

Hi girls,
    I'm not quite 29wks and yesterday my labia and vajayjay started getting insanely itchy. I naturally thought thrush so used canestan (which I know is pgcy safe), but it's worse today and I noticed that everything down there is swollen and reddish looking. Not SORE, just tender as if I have had toooooo much sex. Prob is, it's not that. Now I remember this from when I was pg with Kat (prob had it with jess too, but I don't remember), but I am sure I was much further along than this. Am I alone in this symptom? And what do people suggest I do to help relileve the discomfort? I know that this can happen during pgcy, it's the bodies way of getting the area ready to stretch as it must during birth, but surely 29wks is early for this?
    I just wanna be able to sit comfortably! And I'd rather not use a donut! hehehe
    Any advice would be much appreciated!

Kerrie, I found that it started to happen earlier and early with each pg - I wasn't even out of the first trimester when it happened with Alister's pg. Although as unsightly as it was, it was never uncomfortable either, so Im not sure what to suggest for that. It is possible that you have varicose veins down there, which could explain some of the discomfort.

Hi Kerrie,

It happened to me earlier each PG. I felt tender but not really uncomfortable. I tended to lay down rather then sit on the couch, or have a cool bath when it was hot. Sorry not much help.

Thank you ladies. I gathered it was pretty standard during pgcy and could come early. But this is really quite uncomfortable. The whole area is quite swollen and sore to even touch lightly. It feels bruised which I guess it kinda is.....
    Will have a warm bath once I get my girls into bed and then have a lie down. See how we go. It wasn't any better this morning when I woke up, but we can always hope....

Hey katkins

there are a few things you can do to help alleviate the swelling of your labia...which will be affected by hot days, your hydration, position of your baby in your pelvis, how long you have been on your feet etc

avoid standing for long periods...as this causes blood to pool in the vaginal tissues...and also the lower legs and drink plenty of fluids

swimming is an excellent way to promote great blood circulation, while providing wonderful comfort with bouyancy...reducing swelling of all areas

yoga is also great as it again promotes good circulation and reduces swelling through varying positions...

the discomfort you describe may be a combination of thrush and swelling...so the canestan certainly wont be harmful...try and have an intake of yoghurt full of all the goodies to help with this...and perhaps have some knicker free time

I would also suggest a visit to a naturopath, familiar with pregnancy, as they will be able to suggest some natural alternatives...Witchhazel works well to help soothe and cool, and lots of women use it after birth

reflexology would also help to reduce the swelling

hope this helps

xx yogababy

It is not unusual to get this problem at 29 weeks. It is caused by your increased blood supply and the reduction in blood return to your heart (caused by the size/weight of your growing baby).
    Just to add to yogababy’s suggestion you could try is to sleep with your legs/feet higher than your heart. To do this you can put some rolled up towels/blankets under the mattress or even put the legs of the bed on some Woden blocks. Also do not sleep on your back. Hope this helps to give you some relief.

Thank you Yoga and Alan, I've had Dh home today and been taking it a bit easier. I am going to raise my feet tonight. I'm on antibiotics at the mo for a chest infection so I think that's where the thrush is coming from. I'm very sensitive to thrush when on AB's. I'm actually allergic to some so....
    Anyway, thank you for your hints. I am hoping it goes down soon. My feet etc don't seem at all swollen, it seems to be just there...

Is this a hormonal thing too? I've had three periods since having had my baby and have experienced a little discomfort down there as if i'm a little swollen at these times??
    Katkins, keeping off your feet is a great suggestion... Also when you sit (and you're not around polite company, LOL!) I find it helps to 'sit like a man' (with your legs impossibly far apart), and take up the whole chair!

Oh Scorpio, I hope they do something to help you honey.
    I just got back from Dr and we were right. It's a combination of thrush (from AB's) and normal sweeling of pgcy, so am on pessaries and cream. Will try to stay off my feet, tho that's not easy with two toddlers to run after

To help with the thrush you can use a probiotic yoghurt. Eat it and use it internally

Thank you Alan. You are a wonderful man *hugs*

~Belinda~ Guest

Katkins, I also had the swelling from 32 weeks. But at 32 weeks, my labia felt painful when I urinated, like someone had two heavy weights attached to them! They seem ok now though, I agree with Alan, it's the pressure of baby moving down I think and completely normal.

mine is swollen and itchy as well, just popped up a few days ago... will it go away or what lol... hope its just swelling and stuff, too shame to ask the doc, LOL i should get used to it hey, gotta give birth in 7 weeks lol

I have had the itchiness since early second tri. I thought it was thrush so did the yoghurt thing and tried canesten but they didnt work. I also get this in the few days leading up to my period too so I am putting it down to the hormones. Not much to do about it unfortunately. Maybe make sure you are rinsing the detergent out of your washing properly so knickers dont irritate it any extra and make sure you use colour/fragrance free loo paper too also sleep without pants! TRY not to itch cause it does make it worse.

what kinda yoghurt do u use? and what do u do with it lol

Hi JeSs
    Yoghurt is only helpful to treat thrush it will do nothing for the swelling. To treat thrush you can eat the probiotic yoghurt and use it internally. Insert the yoghurt in to you vagina also spread it around the enterance. You will need to do this about 3 times a day

This may sound freaky but when using yoghurt for thrush I put a bit in a sterile 10ml syringe and gently, slowlysquirt it up there. Make sure there isnt air in it and dont put the syringe right up there or anything.Put it just inside because it does help to actully get some inside where the infection is rather than just outside where the itching is. You just use natural or greek style yoghurt and after wash the syringe and put it in a little container with some miltons sterilising solution till next time..... It is kind of cold!!! As Alan said, it only helps if it is thrush, not if its hormones causing the itching.

thanksss!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast