Thread: Is taking Polaramine in the 3rd trimester safe?

Default Is taking Polaramine in the 3rd trimester safe?

I had a friend tell me this morning that it's not...I've got the head cold from hell and am sneezing and my eyes are watering like it's nobody's business!!!

i beleive it is but i would ring your gp or local hosp and ask......

SueB Guest

Yes it is on the safe list

I am on it to help me ease the itch i have with OC (not that it does much) both the gp and the OB recommended it for me ..

I was given it early this pgcy for hayfever, but the Pharmacist warned me not to take it after 6 months and so I looked it up in the mims (Medicine directory that Dr's recieve twice yearly) and it said the same thing. That there is more risk after 6 months. I stopped taking it at around 20wks, just in case and from then on had a head cold from hell for 4 weeks, and this week, joy of joys, it's gone to my chest so I am on antibiotics as I now have bronchiolitis and an upper resp infection. I'd talk to ur GP about it so they can weigh up the pro's and cons. You don't wanna end up sicker, and yet a mothers first response is not to risk the bub. You need to talk to a dr about this and talk about options etc. Goodluck honey.

I checked with a pharmacist this morning and he said it was perfectly safe.

I'm 33 weeks and was advised around 28 weeks by my GP that is was safe to take. I was also advised this by the pharmacist.

Sheesh - my pharmacist said not to take it in the 3rd trimester! The warnings that come with Polaramine also say not to take it in the 3rd trimester. So personally I wouldn't take it.

Think I've quoted this in a few threads now LOL..

Do not take POLARAMINE if:

• You have an allergy to POLARAMINE or any of the ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet.
    Some of the symptoms of an allergic reaction may include skin rash, difficulty in breathing or faintness.

• You are taking a medicine for depression called a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) or have been taking it within the last 14 days.
    Taking POLARAMINE together with a MAOI may exaggerate the effects of POLARAMINE and cause a severe drop in your blood pressure. .

Ask your pharmacist if you are not sure if you are taking one of these medicines.

• You are in the third trimester of pregnancy or are breastfeeding unless you and your doctor or pharmacist have discussed the risks and benefits involved.

Newborn and premature infants may have severe reactions to medicines like POLARAMINE.

Do not give POLARAMINE to children less than 1 year old without medical advice.
    ETA: when I saw my GP early in pg, she looked it up, and all she could see was that it was category A for pregnancy.. which is the 'safe' list. But when I went to the pharmacy to get some a little while ago, he said it was a big no no once in the 3rd tri, which is what made me look it up myself, and I found the above.

I was told it was safe and took it all the way through my pregnancy with Oscar as i suffered terribly from heat rash and lived in Townsville! All the pharmacists i went to said it was ok so i didn't think teice about it. Guess you have to go with how you feel if you've been given conflicting advice.

Hope you are feeling better soon

Julie x

I've only been having one at night to stop me from sneezing all night...I'll try and go without from now!!