Thread: Composite Classes ?

Question Composite Classes ?

I have a problem and would like some advice please. Our school is small only about 120 kids, all classes are composite we have the following Prep - 1, 2 - 3,
    3-4, 4-5, 6-7, My two are in grades 2 and 3 yet both in the same class, I had hoped that my grade 3 would be in the 3-4 class, I approached the principal this morning when I seen the class lists and gave my reasons being that DS1 is a standover DS2 and I felt that DS2 would suffer and not express himself as much, and the other reason being that DS1 had this teacher last year and she is very nice but He needs someone who will put there fut down and push him and she isnt like that but the other teacher he could have is Male and Very old school and wont let the kids get away with anything, the principal thinks I should wait until day 8 when classes are fully finalised and said she will assess the situation then, but I have thought about it all day spoken to Hubby and freinds ect and they agree knowing the kids that they should be separated, what would you do?

I would be asking for the kids to be in separate classes as well. They do it for twins ect when parents request it so I think the same should apply for your boys!

smiles4u Guest

My friends 9yr old son wouldn't spend any time with any other child other than his friend of the same age in the same class (since they were in Prep). So, both the Mum's of these two boys AGREED that they should in their next school year be put into two seperate classes and they had no trouble with the female principle agreeing.

Both boys then for the first time in their primary school years went on to mix with other children.

... I so, hope you children's school principle comes around to the idea sooner rather than later !!

Wishing you lots of GOOD-LUCK

hi i cant offer much advice as my boy is to young, but i know my sil had a similar prob. for her the principal was just unreasnonable. but finally they aggreed after she nagged and nagged and nagged them every day.

you pay your fees so you should have a choice, hope it all works out.

Well al started this afternoon already dobbing on eachother and DS! telling DS2 he cant do this and cant do that, the principal was in a meeting so going to see her again in the morning

DoubleK Guest

i think they should be seperated if you have requested it. especially of they are different ages. school is a good time for sibling to have time apart, and express themselves individually.

i've never understood composites, i was in a one at school, and hated it, but thats JMO.

I hope that they principal agrees that your boys can be seperated.
    I've not had any experience with composite classes, maybe one of the BB members who's a teacher could explain the benefits? I would hav been bored out of my mind being in the higher grade of a composite class (i.e. grade 3 in a 2-3) and I can just imagine my mum down at the school wanting me moved to the 3-4.

I have to say I love composite classes. I went to a small Central School with 120 children and at one stage there was a 3-4-5 class due to staffing numbers and I was in the same class as my brother (i was in yr5 - he in yr3) and while it never posed a problem for us (being different kids and all) there wasn't much they could do about it at the time anyway.

but these days they would make considerations to your son's situations and if there is another class he can go in, then they will switch him - they want him to get the best education too so if you explained it I can't see why they wouldn't agree to it. Our school does it to separate twins if requested and also if there are problems with other students etc. Although I can understand why she said to wait until day 8 - they have kinks to iron out and there may be other class changes too. Good luck

I quite liked composite classes... I was in one grade 5-6 (I was in 5) and then when we moved too Thornton my sis and I went to school wheer there were never more than 25 students (yup!) and our classes were P-1-2-3-4, and 5-6-7 (I was in 7). Rayray... its not so much that year 2 students did year 3 work or vice versa, at least thats not what my classes were like... we did do group activities sometimes, but when it came to the basics we learnt separate things so it wouldn't be boring for a year 3 student because they would be doing year 3 work, not year 2 work. At least, thats the experience I had.

My sis and I were in the same class at the small school, and I was a bit like your older son, big sister and a little (just a little! promise!) bosy, and I would always answer for her and help her, so during that time she never really got to be an individual and be by herself. It was ok when I left for high school though, she really came out of her shell. So I would push for separate classes, and most schools should understand and move them.

In Qld (probably other states too but I know its definately in Qld) there is a day 8 cut off for staffing... so schools are allocated staff based on their numbers at day 8 of the school year, so they're probably waiting until day 8 to see what kind of staff numbers they will have and then change classes around depending on what staff they have etc.

Does that make sense? I really only know the day 8 rule in relation to SEU staff, but I think its all the same?

Yes we are in Qld and i KNOW ABOUT daY 8, My problem is that the principal doesnt want to move him, she says that they have to get over it sometime, and if they were in any older grade I wouldnt have a problem with it just being the ages they are and the stage they are going through at the moment it isnt best for them, I have already had problems yesterday with dobbing on each other and DS1 telling DS2 he cant do this or that and then this morning DS2 didnt want to go to school, I just dont think waiting a week will solve the problem iykwim, Dh fully agrees with me, what are my options if the principal doesnt agree, htere is a 3-4 class so he can go in there.

Mel, Could you ring an area director or someone else at education qld that isn't involved directly with the school? Maybe tell them the situation and see what they say. I was told last year that if we were to go to the office and express our desire to NOT have DD in a certain class (ie certain teacher) that they had to do it if we asked. Not sure how true it is though? One student who wasn't in DD's class for this year, arrived in her class today, and another that should be there is not - (read parent 1 not liking child #2 here)

I think it wouldn't be all that healthy for them to be together all day at school then at home as well, they need to be apart and be their own individual self. You would think the prinicpal would be able to see that? By day number 8, if the school does decide to do something, DS2 may completely hate it all together.

Have you checked out the education qld website to see if there is anyone you can contact, even if it is to find out that something can or can't be done?

Goodluck

I was always in a composite class in primary school as there were only about 80-100 students in the school. It was nice. We had K/1 , 1/2 , 3/4 , and 4/5/6.

I remember in year 6, my friends brother who was in year 4 was put in the 3/4 class, so he wouldnt be in the 4/5/6 with his sister. I think their mum may have requested that, as his name was on our class roll but he was in the other class. You can definately request it and the school should try their very best to do what you ask. It shouldnt be that hard. Its not as if you are asking them to rearrange all of the classes in the whole school. Maybe they just wnt to see how they both go in the same class and if there are problems, they might reconsider your request?