Thread: Why no hospital VBAC classes?

Angry Why no hospital VBAC classes?

I recently received information on my chosen hospital birthing classes. Me and DH have decided not to go for a number of reasons but essentially I don't see that any of the classes are relevant to me.

We don't want to sit through labour classes again - been there done that before.

Refresher classes are offered which discuss the differences between first and second labours. I had a really traumatic time with DS, emergency c-section, no labour - so I will just find this type of discussion really painful and traumatic sitting in a room with other couples expecting #2 who have been through labour before.

There are planned c-section classes but no planning for a VBAC classes .

WHY NOT? Can't our hospital system be seen to be supporting VBAC. Don't they realise that there are some women who had really truly awful time with #1 and refresher classes just aren't appropriate.

Sorry about the whinge. Just a tad peeved.

Does anyone know of private VBAC classes/information sessions coming-up in Melbourne in the next 20 weeks (preferably sooner!)?

Try finding a hypnobirthing or calm birthing class. You can check the BB main site for finding a doula to help as well. Doula's can do ante-natal classes, which address more than you would get from a group session. Being a VBAC you definately need to have some support prior to the birth to help you mentally prepare. I had a traumatic first labour resulting in a c/s so IKWYM. To prepare for my VBAC I read heaps of books and did hypnobirthing classes and had a doula. I think it was the best thing I could have done for both my DH & I to prepare for our wonderful VBAC.

SamanthaP Guest

Don't worry - the hospital classes will just be indoctrination crap anyway
    I'm not sure where you are but google BaBs and choices for childbirth. Also, look up childbirth education in the phone book to find a private educator near you.
    And don't forget a VBAC is just a birth, it doesn't need anything extra special

Sorry to hear that your hospital isn't running a session to suit your needs. I'm due to give birth at the Royal Womens in Melbourne in February and the head of the childbirth education unit met with me and spent an hour running through the topic of VBAC and answering all my questions.

It wasn't greatly advertised, I just phoned and said I was interested in learning more and could anyone run through it with me. It was very informative and useful for me. Much better than a mass group session as we had a little bit of a debrief too (also had a very difficult experience last time) and she had tissues on hand. Perhaps a phone call to your childbirth education dept of your hospital would be worth a try?

Thanks ladies.

Christy I am doing as you suggest, so thanks - at least I know I am on the right track.

Samantha - I'll look up BaBs and see what is around. Good suggestion.

Roya - Snap, I am planning a tour soon and see if they can do the same for me.

I just wish hospitals were more openly supportive. It would make me feel so much more supported. In the end, I know it is all up to me.

TICKLISH

Quote Originally Posted by christy View Post
    Try finding a hypnobirthing or calm birthing class.
    I second that!! Christy, I think you and I loved it as much as each other! I have nothing but the best things to say about it and I attribute my wonderful birthing experience to hypnobirthing. My first was a no labour c/s (breech) so I was really afraid of natural and it being a VBAC, but I am sooooo glad I did it as it was truly the most amazing and wonderful experience of my life.
    Last edited by christy; January 11th, 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Cos caesareans are easier and more convenient

You need to get them privately. I'd grab a pink kit if I can, covers VBAC and there is an extra VBAC module too.

NACE (assoc. childbirth eds) can help you with classes too National Association of Childbirth Educators (NACE Inc.) I think
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

I'm in Newcastle and our hospital does one, I'd already researched it so a lot of the info given was stuff I already knew but I could tell a lot of the other women got a lot of info out of it.
    I am sorry your hospital doesn't offer one but the research you do on your own is just as informative.

Melissa

I agree you won't be missing much with hospital classes, vbac ones or not

I'm not sure where you are, but the CEA (Childbirth Education Association) runs private VBAC education sessions.

Eternalbear - I am glad to hear that there is at least one hospital offering VBAC classes. Newcastle - hmm - now there's a thought!

I agree, that the information given can be found in other sources.

My issue is a psychological one - I would feel more supported in the hospital environment if the hospital was openly supportive of my birth choice.

I think offering a VBAC class (may be every 2 to 3 months) would be one way to show support for women in this position and would be a great chance to make contact with the hospital beforehand and meet other women in the same position and great for support.

I rang the hospital early in my pregnancy and got a crabby midwife on the phone when I asked about VBAC - not a good sign . I am hoping I was just unlucky.

Flea - thanks, I'll check out in CEA. I am in Melbourne.

Kelly - thanks, I'll check out the pink kit and the NACE.

TICKLISH

I understand what you mean about the psychological side I was really swinging between another c-section but it was actually my Dr who suggested and advocated me trying a VBAC2. Just knowing the Dr has faith I can do it and while not playing down the risks also didn't blow them out of proportion really boosted my confidence that this is something I can definitely do,

I had a growth scan yesterday and Quinn is 2.5 pounds smaller than my middle son was at the same stage so all looking wonderful for my VBAC2! Quinn is 6.5lbs atm and my middle son was 9lbs at 36 weeks.
    Melissa

Wow Mel, VBA2C coming up soon. I would love to hear how it all went. Sounds like it is all going to plan.

Good Luck.
    TICKLISH

I will let you know how it all goes! I am excited, nervous, scared but looking forward to it all at the same time!