Thread: Head Lice

Default Head Lice

Ok Last Wednesday my son (8) came home with head lice. I check his hair every week regardless... We have only had it once and that was in pre school...

I treated his hair and he missed School thursday and Friday as well... I finally had him lice free by Sunday so off to school he went monday,

I have been checking his hair every morning and night and putting mousse and wax in his hair to help keep them at bay.. Yesterday morning during the check there was nothing.. hair was lovely.. Last night 1 live louse/lice.. I treated his hair and it was all good.. checked again this morning just before sending him and he has eggs again. SO i have had to keep him home..

I rang the school and told him why he would be absent. again!!! And then asked if they check kids hair.. no they aren't allowed to do that anymore..

Then she said some kids are more succestible (sp) I said well Ethan isn't seeing as this is really only the 2nd time he has had in 4 yrs of coming to school

I am just so annoyed that they can't do anything to combat the problem

Enchanted Guest

I hear your frustration Nic!

I had never had "nits/lice" until my younger brothers went to Primary School. They got them and so did I! I was furious and so was Mum. We spent hours and hours getting all the eggs and lice out of my hair. There are a few kids at the school whose parents don't look after their hygeine well enough! It has happened many more times to my brothers and it infuriates Mum everytime as she has to go and spend more $$ on stuff to help get rid of the lice when it's not her boys that are causing it!!

Hopefully one day they can start checking again or find some way to help keep this problem at bay.

We had a little girl in child care who had lice that badly, it looked like dandruff. All we could do was send her home and tell her parents to treat her... AGAIN!!! But, the poor thing never was rid of them. I think it's a form of child abuse, leaving them in that state time after time. You'd get done by the RSPCA if you left your animals crawling with fleas wouldn't you? We weren't supposed to check her hair, but she was always scratching, the poor thing.

Celsie. xoxox

I thnk what I find most frustrating is I know it isn't coming from home. My other 2 sons plus myself and DH dont' have it...

I think they should be allowed to check kids head and those kids should be sent home and not allowed back till they are all gone.

His teacher had a *mini* go at me for the time Ethan has had off lately. I go to appointments in a different town for this pregnancy so Ethan has been missing those days.. We organized other arrangements for Wednesday but it was a heck of a long day for him. we left at 8am and didn't pick him up till 6pm.. he was fine but I missed him like anything and i have never left town without him so that was also an issue.. but beside that.. for him to get head lice again and then miss school cus other parents are to slack annoys the buggery out of me

Our school has lice checks. Have you thought of purchasing a preventative, or getting his hair cut in a design that you can put gel in? I put hair spray in Paris' hair every day and she has never had lice *touch wood* and we have had a few outbreaks.

How dare she have a go at you! It's not your fault other parents are too slack to keep their kids hair clean from lice! I would have told her polietly to go get stuffed!

Celsie. xoxox

Nic, we've had the headlice run around here too - it's frustrating isn't it...I think it's about to start peaking again too because the weather is getting warmer.

I've found the most effective thing is to comb through with a combing solution and a wire comb (the plastic ones are good for getting the lice but not the eggs IMO). I've never treated chemically, but i spend a good 45min combing every single inch of DD's head (she has medium length but very thick hair - a short haircut will be quicker). I repeat this daily for the first 3 days then every second day for about 10 days. It's a pain but you get good results in the long run.

Also, I don't keep her out of school, if I find lice I treat it that night and back to school the next day, if I were to find them in the morning I'd treat and then take her into school an hour later. The exclusion rule on headlice here is exclude until treated.
    Last edited by AnyDream; November 9th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.

What sort of preventative can we buy? We hve been putting mousse and wax in his hair all week except Tuesday as he had swimming, his hair is a short normal boys hair cut..

I have had the suggestion of shaving his head but that is NOT an option.. his teacher said a lot of boys just get their heads shaved and I looked at her and said that is not an option with Ethan..

why should I shave my boys head when little girls you wouldn't expect them to get their head shaved. kwim?

I have akso been doing vinegar rinses of his head and conditioner as they are meant to make the eggs easier to get out. I haven't apart from last night done a rinse since the weekend as he has been lice free

Cai, I wish the hairspray trick would work here!
    Unfortunately Maddy's best friend is living in a house with 13 others (they are Cambodian) & the loveliest of ppl, but only the 27 yr old Uncle can speak English, the little girl isnt allowed to go to parties unless I do the running around (none of them drive except the Uncle.
    I have treated her at our house a few times & gave a heap of hair lice stuff to the family (Tea tree oil & a natural mousse!) But there's just so many of them all crammed in a little house so it's hard, they just constantly have it!
    Every night I comb through both our girls hair with a Robi comb which zaps any eggs or lice, I then comb through with conditioner & leave that on over night, then wash their hair with teatree shampoo/conditioner & then do their hair & gel & hairspray it & STILL I find them on occasions..

This child is lovely & doesnt deserve to be outcast due to the lice (IMO), so I do as above & tie their hair back etc... Not really much more I can do... but some families just dont care or like this one, just dont understand!!!???

I have threatened to shave Maddy's hair...

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post

Also, I don't keep her out of school, if I find lice I treat it that night and back to school the next day, if I were to find them in the morning I'd treat and then take her into school an hour later. The exclusion rule on headlice here is exclude until treated.
    See thats what I think the problem is. we have the same exclusion policy!

I just think the policy needs changing

James' school sends home a notice saying that they've had an occurrence of head lice (more affectionately known in our house as cooties) and you have to send it back saying you've checked and also treated your child if lice and eggs were present.

We had our first cootie episode a couple of weeks ago and I think it was mainly due to tball and sharing helmets, I let the coaches know and they told the parents - helmet sharing is stopping as a result. I treated him with Banlice and we check every morning when we have our in bed morning cuddles. They seem to have gone but I told him that if we find cooties again, he's going to have a No 2 all over which is ok considering things are heating up weather-wise.

Running a straightening iron over a girl's hair from root to tip seems to do quite a good job too. My sister swears by that.

We get a note home.. for a while there I was getting one every week but I haven't receieved one for about 2-3 weeks now..

I am using a product called nitwit. what do others use? and what works..

I have to go buy a wire comb as I bought a plastic one and see now it doesn't work on the eggs

I don't find any of the combs get the eggs at all. I have to spend about 4 hours going through DD hair every time she gets it and pick out each egg. It's a bloody nightmare I found a company that come over and put stuff in for you and (I think) go through the hair, and we made an appointment but they had to cancel and never called back.

It's a great idea though - i'd pay a lot of money to have someone do it all and guarentee they won't come back (till the next round )

Urgh, this is making my head itch...

What's the name of the company?

Quote Originally Posted by RachelM View Post
    I

Urgh, this is making my head itch...
    Tell me bout it!! Scratch scratch!

I live in a small town so I don't think we would have a company like that here. I might go to the shops tonight when DH gets home and pick up some orange medic.. I had that used on me as a kid and I never got them again