Thread: Preparing for Prep!

Default Preparing for Prep!

Do you have any tips and advice for starting school including uniforms and other necessities...

These are mine:

* Buy at least 2 uniforms per season, preferably 3. Ideally buy one uniform slightly bigger than the size of "best fit" plus a second hand uniform as a "back up".

* Buy the best quality school shoes you can afford. Your child will be wearing them more than any shoe... it has to be the right fit (or half a size larger) and of breathable leather. AirFlex is a really good brand.

Looking forward to hearing other ideas!

If your child has never navigated a lunch box/drink bottle/glad wrap etc before, give them quite a few trial runs at home "picnics" before they go. One less thing for them to learn in their first week.

yep, and label everything especially lunch boxes which are notorious for going missing! I've found a box that has the lid attached which is also handy.... one less thing to lose!

Thanks for starting this thread Bath, I will be following and making lots of notes!

Misty - I have heard that idea and I think I will be trialling it here.

Another tip regarding uniforms. They will get paint on them. Most schools insist on students wearing smocks during art but even this defies paint occasionally. All you can do is to hope the school uses washable paints etc. if they don't then you'll have to accept that there may be permanent stains. Don't blow your top like I did once. It's not really the child's fault. Know that by the end of the year most kids will have a stain or two... it's not worth an argument. Just something I wish I could have done better.... When my DD was in grade 5 she sustained a bright orange paint stain on the white collar of her brand new uniform that cost $85. I cracked it... instead i should have established what day is art day and make her wear her old uniform that day.

ETA: BTW my mother, who is a good sewer, managed to replace the collar the following year (the stain was on my DD's bigger uniform).

Definately get their take on what they would like for lunch! and practise what is for recess and lunchtime! We have lots of preppies who have no idea and end up eating a sandwich for recess and bbq shapes for recess! The teachers keep an eye out but sometimes they slip past!

Um will think of others Im sure!

Don't buy your kids uniform until the last minute possible. When I was in grade 6 and I got into my chosen highschool mum and I were so excited we rushed out and bought the uniform in December. By February it was getting small and mum had to buy new uniforms by half way through year 8! Same thing would apply to primary school - probably even more so cause littlies grow so quick.
    Last edited by Roryrory; November 14th, 2007 at 09:05 PM.

Hi,
    I have a question. My first son starts school next year...big tears, he is growing up....
    Question is what do you send to school for "play lunch" and also lunch.
    This school is a nut free zone too.
    Any ideas are greatfully accepted
    Thanks

Fruit is the most recommended play lunch... peeled/chopped/cut up so that it's easy to eat. Dried fruit is good too: sultanas, apricots, apple. Or even some vegie sticks like carrot, celery, cucumber... with a little tub of philly cheese or dip or even cheese cut into sticks. Hint: stay away from prepackaged "bars" like Uncle Toby's mueslie bars etc unless it's a treat because they get to be really expensive and after a while they might not eat anything else. This is what happened to my DD Likewise avoid cake, biscuits (crackers are ok) because they create sugar highs and lows and might make your child feel unsettled in class. These are the mistakes i'm going to try to avoid with my second and third children that i made with my first.