Thread: Private School early enrolment

Default Private School early enrolment

okay so I know lots of provate schools require you to enrol your unborn child - is that for prep entry only?

I want to send DS to Private School, but for high school only, so Yr 7 entry.
    Do I still enrol him now? Am I too late? He's two already.

I am thinking I might ring them, cos its a Catholic School, and while I was brought up Catholic, DS is not Christened and unlikley to be.

It really depends on the school . We enrolled M at birth to attend boarding school for hight school.
    This is for a GPS boarding school. Other school do not require enrollement untill child is older.
    It wouldn't hurt to give them a buzz

If you are applying for a Catholic school but aren't catholic then you should probably do it sooner rather than later. They only take a small percentage of non catholic students. The school I enrolled DD in said they take it on the order they received the enrollments. So its kind of a first in first served basis.

Give the school a ring and find out what their policies are and good luck

Hey Rayray,
    How ya doing gf!!!. Talk about foward planning. No the catholic schools in our area won't accept secondary enrolements until your child is in grade 5. As for primary , i would have them enrolled before kinder if they will let you(depends on the school). Also a schools reputation and statistics can change so much over the course of a couple of years that you may very well change your mind. There are so many new secondary schools private and state being built around us at the moment. I am enrolling my ds in august(can't do it any earlier);he is in grade 5. We have just done our school tours and it only confirmed my suspicions. He will be going to Mackillop. Totally adored the school and the students that took us on the tour were wonderful representations of the school and were very knowledgeable. my son loved it and wants to go now.

thanks, I am thinking about St Kevins in Toorak.
    Yeah most of the local ones I know you cant enrol early.

I went to MacKillop

I thought you had to enrol very early aswell so I started contacting the primary Catholic schools in my area to enrol DD. With primary you enrol the year prior to the child starting (at least thats with all the Catholic schools in my area) & then it's usually grade 5 they enrol in the High school.

When I was in primary school (catholic school) I remember going to the Catholic high school with my school to do a tour, I suppose that was around grade 5? I loved the schools I attended (of course I don't know any different though!) but because of my good experiences I will be sending my children to Catholic schools also.

With saying that, I'm not saying public schools are worse, I know the public schools are very good these days. (Hope I didnt offend anyone)

I think because you're Catholic your DS may get in ahead of those with both parents non-Catholic?? Not sure though.

Good luck in the future enrolling.