Thread: Fresh Milk

Thumbs up Fresh Milk

Fresh Milk by Fiona Giles
    I'm in the middle of reading this book and it's absolutely fascinating.
    Fresh Milk: The Secret Life of Breasts - Google Book Search

The author is Fiona Giles who may be familiar to some of you as the woman in the milk bath in the Men Who Breastfeed clip on youtube.

It's all about breastfeeding but it's no 'how to' manual. It's more of an exploration of emotional, mental, social, sexual etc aspects of breastfeeding. Giles also discusses all sorts of interesting and less common breastfeeding relationships like adult nursing, adoptive breastfeeding, wet nursing in WA and so on. She includes some more negative moments to such as non-consensual wet-nursing and painful feeding experiences.
    The text includes first person narratives, fiction, poetry, interviews and narratives based on interview.

If you can get your hands on a copy I totally reccomend it - it's one of the best books I've read this year and I haven't even finished it yet.
    I ordered mine through the huggies book club but maybe the ABA stocks it (if they don't they should).

ETA - thanks to Tanya because if she hadn't posted the men breastfeeding clip I never would have wondered about the story of the woman in the bath and found her book.

It sounds great, that clip as unusual as it seemed has definitely had an impact.
    Is it an easy read ?

rosehanah, it's a really easy read and each chapter stands alone so if you want to skip one the next will still make sense.

If you click on the google link in my first post there is a sizeable exert from the text in there that should give you a fair idea of whether you would enjoy reading it or not.

Thanks Chloe, I just finished reading the exert and it sounds great. Fiona definitely has a way of telling you information without you even realizing it. I felt I could relate to a lot of what she said.
    The front cover is very clever.