Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me find a new author...

Default Help me find a new author...

I'm one of these people who will find an author then read everything they've written before moving on to a new author. I've just finished all the Jodi Picoult books and don't know who to try next.

Other authors I've devoured include:
    Kathy Reichs
    Minnette Walters
    Jonathon Kellerman (but didn't like Faye's books)
    J.K.Rowling
    Stephen King
    John Marsden

I don't like John Grishom or The Da Vinci Code-type stuff, so please don't suggest these.

Any opinions welcome!! Thanks.

How about Paullina Simmons - (you might want to check the spelling!!) Her character development is great and I love all her books!

Have you read any Philipa Gregory?
    HomeThe Official Philippa Gregory Website

I love Shaun Hutson - english author, can find most of his books in second hand stores now, he is a horror writer - my favourite!!!! he rocks... soooo good... his books are sooo creepy... but I'm a bit of a weirdo and love those sorts of things.. I find his books easier to read than stephen kings cos he has a tendency to go on a bit, and can be a bit boring.. where as Shaun never bores me!!!!!

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

If you like intelligent crime fiction, try Val McDermid. Her first book in the Tony Hills series is called "Wire in the Blood" but she has a few stand alone books too. There's an English drama series on the ABC called Wire in the Blood which originated from her books. I also read Karin Slaughter, James Patterson, Mo Hayder (not for the weak-stomached) and Tess Gerritson. They're all crime fiction authors. For seriously sick horror, try Richard Laymon.

chubbycheeks Guest

oh i enjoyed minnette too!!

patricia cornwell is right up there with kathy!
    fiona mcintosh is FANTASTIC also.
    sydney someone is another great one, altho for the life of me i can't remember the name or the book, but yes, it was good.

wow you don't like faye's books? i haven't read jonathons yet, i'll be sure to delve that way soon

A fan of patricia Cornwell and Richard Laymon too!!Also a fan of Dean Koontz, James Patterson and Nelson DeMille. Comedy... Janet Evanovich and Kirsty Brooks have good series too...

Wow - thanks for all those very quick responses! Have tried a few Patricia Cornwells but haven't got into them to the same extent as Reichs. Koontz didn't do much for me, but thanks for reminding me of Janet Evanovich - I read One for the Money as part of my Info Studies course last year and did enjoy it, so there's a new avenue!

Most of the other suggestions I haven't tried yet, so will head to the library tomorrow armed with a list!

For the next 4 months I'm a pregnant SAHM and so will have lots of time to read. Last year I was studying full time and am worried I'll get bored now that I've finished, and I can't get a job as baby is due in May! Time to find loads of new exciting authors, thanks!!

Jim Butcher (Dresden Files) is great, wonderful series (now a TV series!)

Maggie Alderson (aussie author, writes comediac books about life in Sydney for mums)

I am a huge Wilbur Smith fan. Especially his books on Egypt and Africa. Great adventure reading
    I like patricia cornwell too, and am a Dean Koontz fan (you say you did not take to his books, bummer - When I started reading from the "grown-up" section in the libriary it was only him.)
    How about Stephen Leather - he writes great books.
    I am soooo jelous that you can lay about and read for FOUR months!!!! ENJOY

O yeah, and Jaws's author Peter Benchley - geat books like The Deep and White Shark
    Last edited by Nadine216; January 8th, 2008 at 05:42 PM.

some general ones

sindey sheldon
    wilbur smith
    clive cussler
    colin forbes
    jefferey archer
    jefferey deaver
    daniel easterman
    tom clancy

and if you want to know any fantasy authors just let me know and I can list a pile of those for you as my husband has numerous series from different authors

I just finished reading The Memory Keepers Daughter by Kim Edwards. Its very intense and beautifully written. Jodi Picoult is also a fan of the book! Its kind of her style.
    Last edited by Emma27; January 8th, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelling

I also enjoy Jennie Crusie, Michael Connolly has been recommended to me.

I don't really like Wilbur Smith or Tom Clancy, even though I've read a few of each. I have read a couple of Stephen Leathers which were quite good though.

Now I have so many suggestions here I don't know where to start!!

My mum is a HUGE reader, i am just a reader!
    She happens to be stting next to me at the moment and i showed her what authors you liked (she had read books by all of them) and suggested these for ya!

Murder mystery;
    Michael Connelly
    Elizabeth George
    PD James - maybe....
    Karin Slaughter

Others;
    Geraldine Brooks- year of wonders
    Rohinton Mistry- A fine balance

I LOVE Jodi Picoult. I also love Marian Keyes...not as in depth as Jodi but still a good read.

If you want some horror Richard Laymon is the best. He's been described as Stephen King without a conscience so be warned that his writing is quite graphic. I think I've read all his books and loved them but they are hard to get second hand, not sure if you can get them a libraries. The Beast House trilogy were my faves of his and I've read them more than once.

If you are looking for some romance (but not the Mills and Boon kind) go for Jill Mansell. She's an English writer so her books are full of goings on in villages or in London. I've read a few of her books and love them. I keep trawling second hand book stalls to collect them. Head Over Heels is my favorite so far.

Ruth Rendell/Barbara Vine books are great if you like crime writing with really interesting characters - they are available pretty much everywhere & she's written heaps.

Quote Originally Posted by dee73 View Post
    Have tried a few Patricia Cornwells but haven't got into them to the same extent as Reichs.
    Me neither. Kay Scarpetta annoys me.

Quote Originally Posted by dee73 View Post
    thanks for reminding me of Janet Evanovich - I read One for the Money as part of my Info Studies course last year and did enjoy it, so there's a new avenue!
    She's got 12 books out in that Stephanie Plum series (plus a couple of in-between books). I have just finished the 10th and have enjoyed them all. They do get a bit similar after a while though, so good to alternate between those and other books IMO.
    Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch books are great (I don't really enjoy the other ones... not sure why), but again, they can get a bit 'same old' if you read them one after the other.
    Chick lit I like (besides Evanovich): Marian Keyes, Jennifer Crusie and Anna Maxted are my favourites.
    Happy reading!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast