Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What book are you reading at the moment?

OMG Stars69 I am reading it ATM and love it...really can't put it down.
    Didn't know anything about it at all had it sitting on the bookshelf waiting to be read....just wanted to read it before the movie soon and very happy I have started.
    The Kite Runner is now going to be in my Top 10 books, I am really loving it and recommend to anyone....so far it also seems it would make a good movie so looking forward to that too

If you like The Kite Runner, definately read his newer one too - A Thousand Splendid Suns... am still trying to decide which one is my favourite

And the movie for the Kite Runner was excellent - a lot truer to the book than I expected - Well worth watching

Thanks for the tip Holly

I have just finished reading Please, Daddy, No by Stuart Howarth. If you are after a story that wil pull your heart strings then this is the one. It is a true story, a biography, a sad and horrorfying (sp) tale of his life.

"the Light in the Window" about a young nurse who goes to work in a hospital for unmarried mums back in the 50's and they are forced to work there 3 years and then separated from their babies.

It is a true story and I have read it about 6 times now and get upset each and every time.

Just finished 'In My Skin' by Kate Holden.

Was very confronting - not a lot was held back

Definately opens your eyes as to what hold drugs can have on you - and how it rules your life and leads you to other paths... in this book, heroin to prostitution....

Was really well written - definately worth the read, but prepare yourself, because everything is told in detail

I am reading "History: A Novel" by Elsa Morante for my book group. It's really good. I started reading it at about 9 last night and before I knew it, it was midnight. Also reading "Nightwood" by Djuna Barnes, which hubby bought me for my birthday last year, but I might have to start again because I left it so long.

I read "A Million Little Pieces" and thoroughly enjoyed it and I've been wanting to read "The Kite Runner" for a while now.

So many books, so little time!!

We haven't had a computer for almost a month, so I've been reading more than usual!

People Of The Book by Geraldine Brooks was really fantastic - its her new one, and well worth the read - a perfect blend of religion, history and a few other things that I won't give away!
    I just saw an interview with her on the tv about the book and it was really interesting.

Not Without My Sister was worth the read too - terribly sad and horrific, written by 3 sisters raised in a cult 'Children Of God' - absolutely shocking - and amazing to think that the cult still exists across the world....

Water For Elephants - was given this book almost 2 years ago as a freebie before it was released (I've got the copy in a hot pink cardboard cover!)
    It has sat on my bookshelf for that long, and the topic nature never interested me enough to pick it up!

Its about a travelling circus in the depression in the USA - that put me off, but I ended up picking it up after I've heard so many people talking about it recently!

It was great - really loved it... just goes to prove you can't judge a book by its cover!!!!!

Am about to start reading The Diving Bell And The Butterfly... will let you know how it is!!!

Holly
    xxx

I'm between books at the moment - most of them are packed up, coz we move in a week! Eeek - scary!

(side note - huggies nappy boxes are a fantastic size for packing paperbacks!)

Anyway, just finished reading "Area 7" by Matthew Reilly - kind of just full on action - got the whole book read in about 3 nights, coz the pace never slows down, so there is really no good place to stop reading, so you find that you just keep reading, and then it is 2:30 am. Crazy! Anyway, he is an Australian author, but for some reason his books are based in the US, with US characters...

And have kept out of the packing boxes, "Nighmares and Dreamscapes" by Stephen King. Its a collection of short stories, and this will be at least the 10th time that I have read it - I had to but another copy coz my first one fell apart from constant reading!

I'm reading The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart. It's a cult classic from the 70s about a man who chooses his fate on the roll of a dice. I must admit I'm finding it hard to enjoy, but I think it's because I'm getting much more pleasure from the baby books I'm reading.

I've just started No Turning Back by Joanne Lees. So far so good. It's her story of what happened so none of the speculation from the media.

i'm reading Lisey's Story (stephen king) at work. just finished the three Dexter books

next up - who knows??

I'm reading Cup with no handles... Memoir of a grassroots activist, by Carolyn Landon about a lady who was heavily involved in getting neighbourhood houses set up across the state... After that probably more VBAC and birthing books which Im having a break from right now!

I'm currently reading Almost Home by Damien Echols. It's his biography. But unless you're a supporter of the West Memphis 3 (WM3) then it may not interest you?

Damien & 2 friends were jailed for a crime they didn't commit- the murder of three 6 yr old boys. They were teenagers at the time & have been in prison 15 years now. Damien is on death row & the other 2 are life in prison.

DNA tests done in the past few months have shown they weren't at the crime scene but does show one of the murdered boys (step?) father & friends DNA was found on a shoe lace used in the crime (it was in a position where it could only have gotten there if it dropped on the shoe lace when being tied)

Hearing is coming up in September.

LOL sorry I got a bit carried away haha. Anyway its a good book for supporters

After finally finishing the last Harry Potter book a few weeks ago, I lost motivation to read anything else - just want to read more Harry!!

But have now today just started reading "The Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett. I've heard it is supposed to be really good, no idea what it's about yet...

I'm reading 'A Fine Balance' by Rohinton Mistry - set in India in 1975 when the 'Emergency' (as they referred to it) was happening - follows the lives of 4 seperate people from different castes, and how their fates bring them together... was recommended to me after I told a few people how much I loved 'Shantaram'...

Am really enjoying it - its 600p of extremely small print, started it a week ago and have just under 200p left

I have sooooo many books on my 'to read' list... just need the time to read them all

Quote Originally Posted by Hollybolly View Post
    Just finished 'In My Skin' by Kate Holden.

Was very confronting - not a lot was held back

Definately opens your eyes as to what hold drugs can have on you - and how it rules your life and leads you to other paths... in this book, heroin to prostitution....

Was really well written - definately worth the read, but prepare yourself, because everything is told in detail
    I really enjoyed this too Holly, we were talking about it at work today actually.
    DD used it for an English essay about change.

I just want to say ... I WISH I'm Reading ANYTHING atm!!

I would give my two front teeth to have time to get in under the duna with a heavy novel and just stay there till Chrismas

I'm green with envy!!!

Larana - I read that one twice, I loved it .. have it in my wee little library at home. Enjoy it!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast