Thread: Freezing lasagna

Default Freezing lasagna

I'm making 2 lasagnas. One for tonight and one for the weekend. I want to freeze the weekend one. My plan is to cook them both this evening and then cool and freeze the spare. Is this correct or should I assemble the spare and freeze it uncooked?

I would cook it and then freeze it.

I often make 2, cook them both and then cut the spare one up (to meal size peices), wrap it in foil and freeze it.

i always cook mine first too

I don't cook mine. I assemble it all and then freeze it.

I never cook mine first either. I just assemble it and put it in the freezer. It will cook perfectly when you pop it in the oven later

I've always cooked mine first..

...but that is only because it has NEVER occurred to me to freeze it assembled but raw!

Me too Lime. It sounds like a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by LimeSlice View Post
    I've always cooked mine first..

...but that is only because it has NEVER occurred to me to freeze it assembled but raw!

You really don't need to cook it first so it will save you time!

well I've never froze one before, but that's great to know about not cooking first...what a great idea. Does that apply with fresh pasta sheets also? I have the IL's coming for a week and want everything made ready to go. On a funnier note, my mum cooked a lasagna once, then froze it & heated it up again that night....why? you ask...........she said & I quote "we all know lasagna taste better after it's been cooked & cooled down the next day, so why not" my DH still laughs about that now.

I've always cooked then frozen mine, but I freeze it in individual serves and use it for lunches or a night we can't be bothered cooking, so not much point us taking out a whole lasagne defrosting and cooking it only to most likely having to refreeze parts again

I cook then freeze.

We do it both ways. If it is cooked first that means you can just defrost and reheat in the microwave or oven - whichever is preferenced. If it is frozen raw, it just means that it needs to be defrosted and completely cooked through in the oven before eating. Usually if I cook it first I will put in smaller or individual serves before freezing - that way DH can take it for lunch or I can eat some at home without having to defrost all of it.

i cook then freeze, but also cut into portions. So easy to grab a serving out of the freezer and chuck in the micro when in a hurry.

Since there seems to be a consensus that you can do it either way I assembled and froze.
    I might do the portions next time - except that DH is a human Garfield. Once he knows there is lasagna ready for the microwave it will vanish.

I always cook mine first, then freeze. I reckon lasagne is one of those foods that is always better with the second reheat