Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Freezing Sandwiches?

smiles4u Guest

Wink

OMG, I can't believe I come across your thread

... as I was only just thinking about 'the frozen sangers' the other day

Mum would make them the day before & then pop them in the freezer only to take them out for us the next morn before we headed off for our 30min walk to secondary school.

... Oh, was thinking the other day how guilty I felt back then & still do even now (as my folks didn't have much money). As Mum never knew how much I hated those sandwiches still chilly cold & seemed to lose their flavour by the time lunchtime came around (must have something to do with having been in the freezer ?? ) ... and I did the unspeakable & always threw them in the rubbish bin at school ... yeh, 4 days a week, Mon - Thurs, (Friday was tuckshop lunch day) ... all those years through secondary school. Just couldn't tell Mum, ... yeh, sadly my Mum was pretty scarey to be around those days

BUT I just couldn't bring myself to eat them,

... So sorry FIONA !!!! Gee, I hope they taste better for you then they did for me, LOL

OK, I'm finally getting around to actually doing this as we're spending way too much money on lunches.

I've just made a batch of: turkey, cranberry, swiss cheese and grated carrot.

Next I will do tuna, cream cheese and sweetcorn. And after that smoked salmon, cream cheese and roast capsicum.

Will let you know how they taste when thawed but I think my shoulder is still sore from the amount of back-patting it's been getting from me for actually getting around to it even.

used to do this for my girls for school. peanut butter, vegemite, jam, honey, nuttela, pickles, cheese, chicken and mayo.

not ham, they didnt like it. bit soggy.

but if you wrap in baking paper then seal in zip lock bag to freeze... then take out of zip lock when you put in lunch box and just leave baking paper on... you dont get the sogginess so much.

bit fiddly with all the wrapping but i used to get the girls helping... AND... i would do 3 weeks at a time.

best idea EVER!

DoubleK Guest

wow, i would never think to do that!! its sounds like such a good idea! i'm going to ask dp if i can start making him sandwiches for his lunch! (he usually buys lunch)

i guess it would be handy on the days that me & dd are out all day.. just grab some from the freezer and go!

im excited! lol

Have you guys tried this yet? Curious as to how the sandwiches tasted!

Eating them as we speak - DELICIOUS! Tried both the turkey, cranberry jelly, swiss cheese and carrot ones and the salmon, cream cheese and roast capsicum so far and all VERY good. And I love my tucker so I'm quite fussy.

Great for when you're home too and want to take the kids to the park without faffing around giving them lunch first - just defrost in the morning, then you're set.

DP is usually averse to freezing anything but I've even won him over and he tells me I'm on to a winner.

Apart from the convenience, I've worked out this will save us roughly between $250 - $300 a month!

Fantastic Fiona! So they're not soggy at all??

Im going to start doing this too!

Nope, definitely not soggy though I'd probably avoid tomato because sandwiches go soggy with tomato even if they're not frozen IYKWIM. I used a Cape Seed loaf from Bakers Delight and some white rolls too. The sandwiches seemed fresher than the rolls for some reason even though they were bought at the same time.

What about curried egg??
    My husband usually has ham and curried egg sandwhiches.
    Could they be frozen?

wow im a little late but this is awesome!!!
    i usually make lunches in bulk and freeze. But i generally make - spag bake, tune mornay bake, plain spag bol, lasagne, canniloni or a selection of soups (all portion controlled and hubby and i just grab what we want before a shift) but i think this would save us even more money!!! we used to waste soo muchmoney on convience - i would buy weight watchers or mccains healthy choice any frozen meal for up to $6 a serve and hubby would spend upto $10 on lasagne salad and drink a day!!!

Hi Guys!
    I know this thread is on about freezing sandwhiches but the whole point was to save money on lunches.
    Last week I bought just over a kilo of Chicken Breast, I came home and divided it up ( i ended up with 3 peices) and I thinly sliced it and fried it and cubed it up, then I used three different stir fry sauces and made the three different flavours (butter chicken, sweet and sour and honey mustard) and then i put them on rice and put them in chinese containers. I ended up with 4 or 5 of each flavour depending on how saucy it was.
    In total I ended up with atleast 12 meals. I put them in the freezer and hubby gets one out each day and he has variety. All up it cost me about $20 or so for almost 3 weeks lunches (for just him) and I dont have to keep getting up and making them and if I am home duting the day and get hungry well - theres lunch.

i do the same thing chaggie, to make the meals stretch out even further i add some frozen vegies on top

Would tomato sauce freeze/defrost okay. I could do the above with Kam's sandwiches as he is a vegemite boy, but Lachlan likes fritz/devon & sauce.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12