Thread: Healthy Snacks, no egg

Default Healthy Snacks, no egg

Hi guys,
    Im really getting sick of all the snack foods with so many preservatives. I buy Coco (who is nearly 2 and a half) various fruit and oat bars which seem ok, but I'd really like to make my own. So Im looking for healthy/natural snacks (like oat bars , fruit things etc) that contain no egg as she is allergic. I also thought scones might be good as they can be made with no egg. but I dont have a recipe of any good ones.
    Thanks xo

Egg-Free Oatmeal Cookies
    Low Fat Recipe
    Ingredients:
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1/4 cup white sugar
    3/4 cup applesauce
    1 cup all-purpose flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
    Directions:
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a cookie sheet.
    In a medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, white sugar, and applesauce. Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon; stir into the applesauce mixture. Add the rolled oats, raisins and chopped nuts (if desired); stir until combined.
    Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool slightly before removing from the baking sheet.
    Recipe makes 2 dozen cookies, 1 cookie per serving.
    Nutrition information per serving:
    Calories: 93
    Protein: 2g
    Total Fat: 2g
    Sodium: 73mg
    Cholesterol: - 0
    Carbohydrates: 17g
    Fiber: 1g

Healthy M?sli, Muesli Bars

40 min | 30 min prep | SERVES 11 -12 , 11 -12 bars
    2 cups muesli
    1/4 cup honey (Use light syrup for the vegan version.)
    1/4 cup tahini
    1/4 cup dried fruit, of your choice in bits
    1/4 cup nuts, of your choice chopped in small pieces
    1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    Combine honey, tahini, cinnamon, nuts, and dried fuit in a bowl and mix well. Add the muesli and mix well until you get a hard dough. It may not all stick together, this is fine.
    Take portions into a sushi roller lined with wax paper and form into 4" bars by rolling and pressing. Once the desired formed is reached, open the roller, cut the edges off and carefully place on a prepared baking sheet.
    Once finished with all the bars bake for 10 minutes. This is important: they are still tender when hot so let the bars cool for at least 15 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack, then let them cool completely before removing them so that they don't break.
    Store in your refrigerator and enjoy!

Also vegie pikelets & muffins can be substituted with egg like

Thank you they're great recipes! I will try them both xoxo

Hi Meg,

Have a look out for some vegan or allergy-free cookbooks at your library or bookshop, or google vegan recipies, ad you should be able to find a lot of egg free recipes. Oats in particular tend to be a very low allergy food as well as being healthy and so tend to feature a lot in kids cooking.

I have one really great book called 'The Neal's Yard Bakery Wholefood cookbook' thats awesome. Its fairly old though.

There are also a number of things that you can substitute for eggs, depending on what you are making this can be banana, egg replacer (if thats allowed)

I also often reduce the sugar indicated, but sometimes you need to experiment with that as it can change the finished product, depending how much was there to start with and how much you reduce it by.

OK here goes:

Rolled Oat bars (from The failsafe Cookbook)

1 cup wholemeal SR flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    150g butter
    1/2 cup sugar
    1tbsp golden syrup

Preheat oven to 160C
    Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Melt butter, ad golden syrup and mix in to dry ingredients. Press into a slice tray and bake for 15-20mins until brown. Cut bars while still hot. Leave to cool before removing from tray. Makes 20

Date & Oat Bars (From Neal's Yard..)

500g dried dates (i would be tempted to try it with fresh dates and skip step 2, or buy fresh and dry them myslef first))
    200g jumbo oats
    200g regular oats
    200g wholemeal flour
    2.5ml salt
    175ml malt extract
    175ml oil
    50g desiccated coconut

Preheat oven to 180C
    1) Grease 25cmx30cm (10x12 inch) cake tin and line with greaseproof paper
    2) Putthe dates in a medium saucepan, cover with water. bring to the boil, then lower heat to simmer, covered for 10-15min until dates have softened Stir well when cooked and leave to cool.
    3) Combine oats flour and salt in a bowl or food processor
    4) Pour malt extract into dry mixture and mix as fast as possible for 2-3 minutes.
    5) Mixing more slowely, gradually pour in oil, to end up with a light crumbly mixture.
    6) Spread 3/4 of this misture into the bottom of the cake tim, packing it down well.
    7) spread dates over the top
    8) add the coconut to the remaining oat misture and sprinkle this on top of the dates
    9) bake for 30-40 mins until golden brown
    10) remove from oven allow to cool prior to cutting.