Thread: How to cook a Roast for dummies????? lol

Default How to cook a Roast for dummies????? lol

I really need to know how to cook a good simple Lamb Roast and Veggies for 6 people.

Please tell me how in simple terms as cooking a roast is definately one of lifes little challenges for me lol.

Vegetables I would like to do with it would be potatoes, pumpkin, and carrots.

That sounds so yum Caro What sort of temperatures do i use. I have a gas oven (not a fan forced)

Ohhh, this is my fav meal - along with roast pork - we love roasts in my family, usually my mum does a roast every sunday night, three of us go & my brother & SIL, we all live in the same town.) but since not working - i worked every second weekend - now we take them in turns!

Mine is pretty much same a Caro's but -

I put the oven on 180 fan forced, i put about a cup of water in my baking dish (my mum & SIL use oven bags)
    I cut my vegies around the same size, these i put in their own dish & brush them with oil, i put these and my roast in at the same time and cook them for about 3 hours (i always have fairly big roasts - big family) 3 hours i know my vegies are ready
    (had a ***** of a time with this part!!)
    I also use the greens gravy - but i cheat and just use a gravy boat with boiling water.
    HTH!!
    Good luck, nothing like cooking for more people!

Easy Easy Easy!!!

Heat you're oven at a high heat. I usually start around 220 degrees.

Put a bit of vegetable oil (or spray if you want to be healty) in the bottom of a baking tray. Put the meat in and then rub with a little oil and cooking salt. I also add a bit of rosemary on top too for lamb.

Put in the oven and add vegies after half an hour...

Peel potatoes, cut into pieces, and microwave (or par boil) until almost tender. Drain excess water and shake the micro. dish (or saucepan) to roughen edges. This will give a nice crispy outing to the potatoes...

Peel carrots and pumpkin and cut into pieces (other good vegies are sweet potato and parsnip).

Add vegies to baking tray.....
    If your baking dish doesn't have much room after the meat is in, put the potatoes with the meat and put the rest of the vegies in another baking dish with a little oil and season with cooking salt. (Don't forget to season the potatoes too)

Spray tops of vegies with cooking spray and put all back in the oven, reducing the temp to around 200 degrees....

I pull the trays out every 30 mins to baste the meat and vegies....Once the meat is cooked to your liking (i just stab it with a knife and check inside - you can tell when it's done by opening the stab wound a bit) pull it out and sit on a plate uncovered (or loosly covered with foil, but i find that the skin goes soggy when wrapped in foil - it can always be reheated in the micro after it's been sliced, or just be reheating individual plates before serving)

Add the potatoes to the other vegies (doesn't matter if they're sitting on top of each other), up the temp again on the oven and finish cooking until potatoes are nice and crispy. The other veg will be done by this stage....

In the dish that you baked the meat in, put it on a hotplate on high heat to warm up the juices (also add any juices from the resting meat). Add enough flour to form a paste and cook for a minute. Add enough water to make a thin paste and stir continuously. The heat will thicken the gravy. Add more water until it stops thickening, but stop when it reaches the consistency you desire. Add some salt and pepper, and there is your homemade gravy.

I'd also do some brocolli and cauli, do it in the micro with lots of water. Don't over cook it though, keep it nice and tender. Put the broc/caul in an oven proof dish and in a microwave proof jug, melt some butter, add enough flour to thicken and cook for 30 secs. Add water from vegies and stir stir stir until it's all mix in. Cook in for 1 min (in micro) add a bit of milk and cook again for 2 mins, stiring after 1 min. If it's still too thick, add more milk. When you're happy with it, add a handful of grated cheese and salt and pepper and cook for 45 secs or until cheese is melted. Taste and adjust if necessary. Pour over the broc/caul, sprinkle with a bit of grated cheese and put in the oven (probably the last 15 mins of the other vegies baking) until cheese is melted and is nice and golden....there is your baked broc/caul with cheese sauce....

It might look like heaps, but once the meat and veg are in the oven, the only thing you have to do is get the broc/caul ready to go in the oven, and do the gravy, which can be done whilst the veg are finishing cooking......

Enjoy....and let us know how you go!!!

Oh, see how long it took me to post....there wasn't any when i started typing that!!...mind you my keyboard ran out of batteries and i had to steal them from the tv remote coz i couldn't find any....hehehe...

Shell, my mum too, does a roast every Sunday night, and my brothers and I (including my DH and SIL and their bub) would be there every Sunday, without fail. But unfortunately DH and i have moved now, so we're too far away, but i still like to do a mini roast with veg for me and DH on a Sunday night....

Roast pork is my fav too...i sometimes buy the 'pork crackling' that's on it's own in the meat cabinet if there are a few of us coz i LOVE my pork crackle....lol...but i love lamb too, and then beef...DH loves turkey, but for some reason, i'm not a fan of roast chicken...i LOVE chicken, i guess i just prefer it other ways...i'll eat it if it's served, but have never made one....

I love de-boning my leg of lamb, rubbing the insides with olive oil, freshly picked rosemary and crushed garlic and salt, then tieing it up before cooking....so delish, and so easy to carve...

Clever Girls you are. I will definately be trying some of these ideas.

this has made me very hungry, not good after 2 teeth extracted last night lol

Hopefully sunday night I will be right as rain and enjoying a yummy roast

LOL Shan, DP also buys the crackle off the pork - just to have that!! My brother, SIL, DP & myself have sworn never to move to far away, noone wants to risk missing the sunday roast!! - Nothing beats a good roast!! (esp when its cooked by a mum!)

Thanks Kayla....now i want a roast....TONIGHT...rofl...

DH and i had roast lamb on Sunday night, and on Tuesday night, i put the left over meat and veg (along with some brocolli, red onion, peas and corn) into a dish, whisked up 6 eggs with a bit of milk, salt, pepper and cheese and poured it over the other stuff. Topped it with cheese and put it in the over...OMG..it was SOOOO yummy. Even DH was impressed. I guess it was like a frittata, but the roast vegies made it sooooo delish. DH put tomato sauce all over his, but i put some homemade Mango Chutney over the top...oh...to die for..you gotta try it...xxx

So true Shell, although my DH and my bro and SIL say that my roast is better than mum's, but we don't tell her that just in case she decides she won't do them anymore and then i'd have to do it....somehow she always ends up with overcooked meat and hard vegies...hehehe...but hey, if we get a night off from cooking, who cares..

Ok here's what I do I also turn oven on at about 220 with my baking tray & a few knobs of butter & a cup or so of water... then I prepare my lamb.. I brush it with oil & sprinkle crazy salt or brown onion gravy over it, I throw my lamb in & turn the oven down to 180, I then start peeling potatoes & pumpkin (also only Butternut) & carrots & an onion or 2 cut a bit & scattered around, after about 30-45 mins I throw my veggies in around the roast & scatter the onions around too every 30 mins I turn my vegies & then after about 2ish hours (depending on size of meat) I remove the meat & cover with foil to let it rest & if I want my tatties crunchier I turn the oven up high for 10 mins whilst meat is resting, I have also stemed other veggies like corn, beans & cauli) then I carve meat 7 serve up veggies & I make Brown onion gravy from Pkt with boiling water & some of the roasted onion pieces & roast juices too, then sevre up vegies & let who ever wants gravy to pout irt on their own meal & dig in!!!!!

The magic number for ovens is 180 degrees. It doesn't matter what you cook, if you bang it in at 180 degrees (170 fan forced) then adjust your cooking time it will always turn out right!! (works for me, anyway)

Enjoy your roast. We do them out on the BBQ in summer cos I can't stand the heat in the house.

ok im all set to start this adventure tomorrow night (sunday)

Rather scared actually lol

How long should i cook a 2.5kg leg of lamb?