Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of ethnic food in Brisbane!

Default Lack of ethnic food in Brisbane!

Since leaving Sydney and I have also lived in Melbourne - there is not much good food around Qld!

I have found just a handful of places that do Turkish Pide. This is wot we loved in Sydney.

Has anybody else noticed this?

Caz

West End is the best place for restaurants. There is a little place called the Forest. It is so awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by krysalyss View Post
    West End is the best place for restaurants. There is a little place called the Forest. It is so awesome.
    Ye have been to West End. We love the mexican restaurant there El Toro I think the name is.

Wot do they make at the Forest? Interesting name...

We live up north of Brissy so we dont get to West End much at all.....

there is a multitude of incredible ethnic food in brisbane - you just need to go to the suburbs that have the largest population of the food you want - then you get the real deal

Yeah I found Turkish Pide impossible, we've been searching far & wide for it. We have found a handfull of places but haven't been too happy about the selection in Brissy for turkish food.

However, we have found huge variations of other types. El Torito is run by El Salvadorians which makes it much more authentic than somewhere like Montezumas. I have found fantastic Indian, Thai, and best of all Japanese. Wow there are some incredible places but it does take some looking.

Kodoya in Elizabeth Arcade in the city is the best, cheapest Japanese food I have ever found. Our friend who is a Japanese chef loves it there...

Forest is actually vegan but usually make curries and lots of different things. Good if you are into ethnic food. So devine - even when I ate meat I thought that.

for a multitude of asian - have a look around Darra

why don't you ring the local turkish club to find out if there any cafes/restaurants that do authentic turkish food?

I found a little place in a food court in the valley (where I work) they make Turkish pide! I had the chicken/mozzerella.

I find on the south side of Bris - is where eastern europe food is found.

Yes that mexican place in Westend is very good, very authentic.

last time i lived in brisbane the turkish at southbank was good.. my husband turkish so i totally understand how good a "good pide" is im on gold coast and selection is shocking!! can anyone suggest any fav ethnics restaurants here>

there are some amazing turkish restaurants if you want real turkish food (ahmets in Bulimba and Southbank, the saturday of mother's day weekend is always great in Bulimba because they get my fave male bellydancer in there) - pide is just leftovers - along the lines of bubble'n'squeak in the uk

one of my x-bf's (who was Turkish) visited Sydney not long ago and was quite horrified that people were raving over pide since it wasn't even "real" Turkish food

Quote Originally Posted by schaz View Post
    there are some amazing turkish restaurants if you want real turkish food (ahmets in Bulimba and Southbank, the saturday of mother's day weekend is always great in Bulimba because they get my fave male bellydancer in there) - pide is just leftovers - along the lines of bubble'n'squeak in the uk

one of my x-bf's (who was Turkish) visited Sydney not long ago and was quite horrified that people were raving over pide since it wasn't even "real" Turkish food
    Yeah I've been to Ahmet's it was packed and buzzing. Also been to Efes One and Sultans at Boondall which has a belly dancer.

Ohhh I love the pide's - its not really Turkish?

Turkish or not they are still good And I have to admit living in Melb I haven't come across any good Pide places here either. Sydney is the best by far. There are good turkish restaurants though... but there are millions of good restaurants here

ETA: They are turkish btw...

Pide is a traditional Anatolian dish based on a recipe dating back thousands of years. Freshly made dough, resembling the shape of a boat, is baked in a wood fired oven producing a crispy outer crust. A variety of highly flavoured, aromatic fillings, containing either meat, fish or vegetables and cheese provide the topping. Truly delicious and best eaten by hand - as in ancient times!

I found this too, I moved from Sydney to Brisbane, and I still can't find a really good deli where they cut your cold meat in front of you. Back home there were heaps of them!! I guess I'll keep looking! There's a lot of asian places on the southside, and a few kebab shops, but none really sell pide!

Quote Originally Posted by Kailz View Post
    I found this too, I moved from Sydney to Brisbane, and I still can't find a really good deli where they cut your cold meat in front of you. Back home there were heaps of them!! I guess I'll keep looking! There's a lot of asian places on the southside, and a few kebab shops, but none really sell pide!
    Your too right - the lack of deli's in Brissie! I guess they may be on the southside as more ethnics live down south.....

Since moving to QLD in April from Albury (And before that we were in Sydney) and i havent found 1 decent fish & chip shop or chinese restauarnt. I've found 1 decent deli but its at Beenleigh.

oh Joanne... fish & chips... Barts in Lota. BEST one on the bayside over in Wynnum/Manly/Lota.

ORRRR The Fish Cafe in Manly, they have a take away section where the chefs from this fantastic restaurant do fish & chip take away!!! Yum

Chinese... ummmm not so sure. I think Ben's Chinese in Woolloongabba is the best I've had, its on Annerley Road, and barely a caucasian in the place. Its big & hosts heaps of parties etc, the vietnamese vermicelli salads are to die for.

Christy- Thankyou for sharing your local knowledge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast