Thread: lentils

Ellibam Guest

Default lentils

im after a recipe for a lentil dish that meat eaters would like! its a really tight weel for money so want to use as much as i can from the pantry!

Elli, I am a vego and serve up Dhal (basic lentil curry) to meat eaters all the time. They all seem to like it (or they at least humour me ).
    I watched Peter Singer on ABC today and came across his well known Dhal recipe on the ABC website. It is similar to what I normally make but he uses coconut milk which would probably make it a bit richer. You should have a lot of these ingredients already in your pantry?

PETER SINGER'S DAL RECIPE

INGREDIENTS:
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    2 cloves garlic (crushed/chopped)
    1 medium onion (diced)
    1- 2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
    Salt, to taste
    1 cup small red lentils
    3 cups water
    2-3 bay leaves, to taste
    1 cinnamon stick
    1 tin tomatoes, (chopped)
    1/4 cup coconut milk
    2 tablespoons lemon juice

METHOD:
    In a large saucepan, saute garlic til fragrant.
    Add onions and cook until they begin to soften.
    Add curry powder and salt, to taste, and cook over medium heat til mixture begins to brown.
    Add lentils and stir for a minute or so before adding water, the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil, then turn heat down very low and simmer for 20minutes, stirring occasionally.
    Add chopped tomatoes, and simmer a further 10minutes, until thick. The lentils should be soft and the consistency just liquid enough to pour.
    Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir through, and remove from heat.

Serve over rice with lime pickle and mango chutney.

I used to make lentil burgers and they're yummy. Just soak & cook your lentils then put them in a bowl with some flour or breadcrumbs, some minced garlic, herbs & spice to taste and egg to bind. Then make patties and fry them up and put them in burgers with all the normal stuff and sauce.

Ellibam Guest

yumm that sounds great

Ellibam Guest

i should add cant have egg in it! (thanks for the burger idea though dach) im allergic to it

We make an Ethiopian inspired dish with lentils that even my footy loving, beer swilling, veggie hating brother loves.

Chop an onion
    Add to fry pan with ghee, butter or olive oil and 2 cloves crushed garlic, 1 tblsp pureed or finely chopped ginger and 1 diced capsicum. Sautee till tender. Add lentils (red ones can just go straight in, but others have to be boiled first), 3-4 diced tomatoes or 1 can tomatoes, heaped spoonful of tomato paste and 2 tsp Berbre (in place of this, you can use a mix of hot paprika and ground or fresh chilli).

Serve with flat bread and rice or burghul.

BTW, I have loads of allergies in my family, and instead of egg, you can use a tblsp of soy flour, which will bind the mixture, just make sure that you add a little water if it looks dry.

Dusty, wow that dhal recipe sounds yummo - i made dhal (diff recipe) last night for the first time ever and it was a raging success. Will try this one next time as the coconut milk and toms would make it extra yum!

Ellibam Guest

Dusty I made the dahl tonight!OMG it was awesome!i added a little bit of brown sugar to season it!
    makon loved it now to see if ben will like it?!

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Some fluff: ask someone to say lentils in Greek
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Oh, that's not fair! There are no Greek speaking people at my house!!!
    Last edited by canberramomma; February 14th, 2008 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Changed Geek to Greek. There is a Geek, but not a Greek!

Ellibam Guest

i dont know any greeks(that speak greek)

OK this sounds delish...Dusty..I have never made this before...do you just use normal curry powder..??

Ellibam Guest

i did and i didnt have cinnamon sticks so just ground cinnamon, no bay leaves or coconut milk