Thread: "mild curry paste"???

Default "mild curry paste"???

Ok, so probably a bit of a dumb question, but I'm going to try a curried cauliflower soup, and both of the recipes I've got call for a "mild curry paste", one says Pataks and one says Sharwoods.

So I trot off to the shops (twice, 2 different shops) but it seems like there's no such thing as "mild curry paste"...instead I'm presented with a choice of different pastes, eg korma, butter chicken, tikka, etc.

So - can anyone tell me...IS there any such thing as a generic "mild curry paste" and if not, which of the paste flavours is most likely to fulfil the general curry paste need?

I would make my own. This is a really generic easy curry paste that you can make (indian inspired) and then freeze (in 2 tbsp batches) and thaw as needed. You can doctor it to be mild by adding less chili.

Curry paste - From Taste

Preparation Time
    10 minutes

Ingredients
    125ml (1/2 cup) white vinegar
    80ml (1/3 cup) vegetable oil
    2 long fresh red chillies, deseeded, finely chopped
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 tbs finely grated fresh ginger
    1/4 cup ground cumin
    1/4 cup ground coriander
    1 tbs freshly ground black pepper
    1 tbs garam masala
    1 tbs black mustard seeds
    1 tbs ground turmeric
    1 tsp ground cinnamon

Method
    Place the vinegar, oil, chilli, garlic, ginger, cumin, coriander, pepper, garam masala, mustard, turmeric and cinnamon in a bowl and stir until well combined.
    Notes
    To freeze (for up to 4 months): Place curry paste in an airtight container and smooth the surface. Drizzle with vegetable oil to cover. Label, date and freeze.

To thaw: Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours or until thawed. Stir to combine.

Mine is:
    1 tbls - corriander
    1 tbls - cumin, ground
    1/2 tbls - tumeric, ground
    1 tsp - black pepper
    1 tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tbls - grated ginger
    Juice from 1 lemon rind
    1 x 100 gram sachet of tomato paste
    (its not on the list but I usually add some garlic because I can ;-)

This will make enough to coat 500 grams of meat, and I usually add tonnes of vegies too (cauliflower, sweet potato, pumpkin and peas etc), once the stock is added it is awesome!

I use Pataks Korma paste in the jar. You can adjust the heat simply by adding less or more. I add a tablespoon or two per dish whiich gives a bit of bite, but if you just want a little flavour I would start with a teaspoon and test to taste. It's yummy with coconut milk to make up the sauce.

Also Butter Chicken would traditionally be very mild. If you are wanting it for kids I'd choose that. You'll also notice a lot of those Pataks Pastes in the jars have heat levels indicated on them. The Korma says mild, I dont have a butter chicken on me but I imagine that would too.

I have tried making my own. It's time consuming and never tastes any good. Pataks are great. Tasty and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeegal View Post
    I have tried making my own. It's time consuming and never tastes any good. Pataks are great. Tasty and easy.
    Wow really? I can't go back to Jars at all... they are no way near as good. And I have a heap of curry recipes that aren't time consuming. I guess each to their own hey?

Ok, well I resorted to using a (mild) korma paste out of a jar...it was a disaster, it was waaaaay too spicey for the recipe, which didn't make a lot of sense because DH used less even than the recipe said. So I think I'll have to experiment with some of these spice mixes instead...

Rouge, when you make yours, how much of it do you add to your recipes when you're cooking with the finished paste?

ETA - Coffeegal - are you using fresh spices when you make it...I know from personal experience that they loose flavour over time? This is the reason Jamie Oliver's always mashing up whole spice chunks in his mortar & pestle instead of using powders

I'd use about 2 tbps and then freeze the rest in batches of about 2 Tbsp. But if you're worried about the paste, try one first with the fresh paste and then you can work out how much you would use in a recipe and keep note of how much other ingredients you are using ie. 500gms meat/veg or less or more etc.