Thread: Potato Bake (not packet mix)

Default Potato Bake (not packet mix)

I have heaps of potatoes that need using up, so thought I'd make a potato bake. I've only ever used the packet mixes in the past, but would like to have a go making one without.

So, how do I go about making a potato bake?

Hi Sterla

I don't have a set recipe for mine, but I usually mix up a big bowl that is 2/3 cream and 1/3 milk, with some nutmeg in it. Spread a layer of potato, sprinkle some bacon pieces, then cover with the cream/milk. Keep going until your dish is full (but not too full or the liquid spills over while baking), then sprinkle with a little more nutmeg and cheese. Hope that helps, some may have yummier ones than mine though

I usually do:
    layer of potato topped by diced bacon and onion and salt and pepper, covered in cream and then repeat. The final layer I add a bit of grated cheese. What is also nice is if you have either some garlic or garlic powder then you can add that in with it - not too much tho.

Sliced potatos, sliced onion, cream, salt n pepper, nutmeg if you like.

Layer potatoes and onions, cover with seasoned cream, bsake in the hot oven until cooked.
    Just before it is ready, cheese and chives over the top until melted and golden.

HTH

I do as the previous posters do, but I also add some chicken stock in for extra flavour. But I only use cream, not milk.

Thanks for your replies - will give it a go!

i do like the others or if short of time a packet french onion soup 600mls of cream and the pots

I've made it - it's keeping warm in the oven until I get a chance to actually try it. Smells good though!
    I layered potatoes with onion and diced bacon, then poured over cream seasoned with salt, pepper and nutmeg, and have a layer of cheese on top. I can't wait to try it!

Found a lower fat version and tried it last week - onion (precooked in micro), 1 1/2 cup of stock, 1/2 cup of light sour cream, then a light sprinkle of cheese over the top half way through cooking. Yummalicious!

I use about 300mls of cream and maybe a bit of milk to about 3-4 potatoes. I mix the cream up with 1 teaspoon of veggie stock powder, 1 teaspoon of dried onion flakes, 1 teaspoon of mustard and 2 crushed garlic cloves. Then I slice and layer the potatoes in a dish, pouring some cream mixture on every couple of layers until the whole thing is assembled. Top with a little grated cheese then cover and bake at 200 degrees for about 30-40mins, remove cover when potatoes are getting soft and allow cheese to brown.