Thread: Potato & Onions?

Question Potato & Onions?

Hi all, this may seem like a really blonde thing to ask, but just wondering how everyone else stores their potatos/onions/sweet potato.

I usually store mine just in the pantry, in a ice cream container, and it was working fine, but today, I went to get the sweet potato out to make DS some vegies for the week and a freakin roach came out and scared the bejesus out of me.

So obviously, the roaches are hating the wet weather up here in qld and want to live in our house where it is dry

Does anyone have any suggestions? I know I have tried leaving them in the plastic bags from the supermarket (out of laziness really) and they just went all mouldy because of the humidity. So just wondering how everyone else stores their potatoes and onions, especially in queensland with our humidity being what it is?

Thanks in advance

I made a potato bin with a shelf under for onions. With my home-grown onions, when I harvest them I plait the leaves/stalks and hang them up.

Sweet potato I put in the fridge.

I keep potatoes and onions in the cupboard in the dark... but I put sweet potato in the fridge. I thought it was different for some reason?

Hmmm.. maybe I need to be gettin myself a bin... and start putting the sweet potato in the fridge obviously!!!!
    Thanks guys

Potato & onions in the cupboard & sweet potato in the fridge for us too.

Though when we were on holidays we put the onions in the fridge due to lack of space & amazingly there was no smell or watery eyes. Been meaning to test it since getting home but haven't yet.

Really Sarah? I think I've read that somewhere too.... interesting..
    I wonder if I can keep the potatoes and onions in the cupboard, still in my ice cream container if I try to keep the lid on it? Cos i'm pretty slack when it comes to keeping the lid on (busy busy as you all know)
    or maybe its not good for them to be in containers that are plastic??

You could also put them in (seperate) hessian bags in your pantry.

I have a potato bag for my spuds and a onion bag for my onions. They have black plastic lining that stops them from sprouting and going yucky. I got them from one of those homewares mags for about $7 each

Oooohh.. thats a good idea..

My onions live in the bottom of my fridge in the crisper thingy with the garlic. Normal potatos as in the cupboard and we dont eat sweet potato so dont have that But do put pumpkin in the bottom of the fridge also in the crisper section.

All my vegies are kept in the fridge - a habit from living in the hot northern climates

All of them?? even the potato? I don't know if I'll have enough room for all my vegies in the fridge
    for the time being though, I've removed them from the "roach" cupboard, and put them in closed ice cream containers, and I'll put them in another cupboard, that hopefully, the roaches can't access (its a newer one so hopefully a little more sealed)
    Thanks for everyone's ideas!!!

I keep mine in a Tupperware container specifically for root vegetables - they are a plastic container with a flap that has holes (too small for vermon to get through) to allow for aeration - the flap allows easy access. I've kept mine for up to 3 weeks this way. this is unbrushed potatoes as I find these keep longer than the wshed potates.

most people up here keep theirs in the fridge becuase of the humidity and sweating issues.

and remember never to keep your onions and potatoes in the same container as they feed off each other and go off faster.

Quote Originally Posted by Niliac View Post
    I have a potato bag for my spuds and a onion bag for my onions. They have black plastic lining that stops them from sprouting and going yucky. I got them from one of those homewares mags for about $7 each
    Ive got those too, they are great. I havent had anything go off or any bugs.