thread: Pumpkin Soup Recipe?

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

Question Pumpkin Soup Recipe?

Gosh I feel like a twit posting this I mean its pumpkin soup how hard can it be? I use to make a beautiful pumpkin soup before I met DH but as he doesn't eat soup least of all pumpkin soup I have simply forgotten how to make it.

I have made 3 batches in the past 2 weeks and have thrown them out thats how bad they are

so I am asking - no make that PLEADING for a yummy creamy tasty pumpkin soup recipe? does anyone want to share?

or chicken soup I have never made chicken soup but always wanted too.

Thanks all
    Nae x

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I make mine the long way. But its worth it. I roast all the veggies first. Then put them in the slow cooker with chicken stock, sage and cinnamon and a touch of curry powder (Keens) with garlic and I roast the onion with the veggies. Then once its broken down I blitz it and if people want I add a touch of cream.

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

Mines fairly simple on the easy days...

6 cups chicken stock
    1/2 butternut pumpkin
    1 sweet potato
    2 potatoes
    1/2 brown onion (optional... I'm not good with too many onions)
    1 clove garlic
    1 tbsp chopped fresh sage (or 1 tsp dried sage)
    1 bay leaf
    salt & pepper
    chopped chives for serving... and a dollop of sour cream if you want (or you could use natural yogurt)

I pop the entire lot in the slow cooker, except the chives and sour cream and then before putting it through the blender I take the bay leaf out.

Mar 2007
    Paradise

I do about half as much potato as pumpkin, boil it all up with bacon stock (you could use chicken stock if you want) and an onion or 2 for a big pot, then puree and add some parsely or any other herbs you like and when serving we add cream or milk.

Mar 2008
    Sydney

Hi,
    I'm always busy doing heaps of things, so my way is a bit fast and easy...
    chop onions, put in a pot with olive oil, stir until brown, add pumpkin cut in small cubes, add chicken stock, 1 or 2 potato/carrots all cut in cubes for easy/quick cooking(depends what I have, sometimes add sweetpotato...). Let cook (while doing something else ). Once everything is soft use the mixer or whatever you have (I do it directly in the pot) and make it as a smooth cream... add a bit of cream (if you want the fatty version)... adjust for salt and pepper... and if you like something different a bit of sage. easy and quick.
    lovely with croutons... toast bread, get some fresh garlic and rub it on the bread, spray with olive oil and put in the grill for few minutes... cut in cubes and add it to the soup... yummy!!!
    hope it helps!

Add NaeNae on Facebook

Sep 2007
    South Gippsland

hmmm *drools* they all sounds so yummy I think I will have to give them all a go.

Thanks so much ladies I have been hankering for some soup (must be the cold days)

Thanks again
    Nae x

Mar 2004
    Sparta

I like to do too much pumpkin when I roast and then make the leftovers into a soup the next day. I also add some orange lentils so it has a bit more protien.

Jan 2008
    Central Coast NSW

I have always used a few packets of chicken noodle soup as the liquid to boil the pumpkin, onion etc in. Have always also added other veges eg sweet potato, potato etc.

Love the idea of some curry powder...yummmm

Mar 2004
    Sparta

The curry gives it a bit of extra depth - I could never go back to no curry now.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Can you make 'lumpy' pumpkin soup? I mean, of course you *can* but does anyone make chunky punk'n? Or does it seem like its not quite finished?

I like soup (but have never made it , BUT am going to give it a good go this winter), but the Man doesn't. Something to do with it being the only thing he could eat for a few months while his jar was wired after his big bike accident. Just found out though, that he WILL eat soup, but not if its smooth, iykwim. Like chunky vege soup. And he luurves pumpkin.

And can you get away with using stock powder instead of the real mccoy?

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Rules are made to be broken
    If the man likes chunky soup then make it chunky. I've eaten lots of yummy chunky vege soups in my time.

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

What if you add crumbled crispy pancetta or procuitto and spring onions, would that be chunky enough? Otherwise chunk it up with some small cubes of roasted pumpkin

smiles4u Guest

Exclamation

Just a note to say : i tried tonight the Sweet Potato & Pumpkin Soup sold in a clear container in Safeway ... omg, it was shocking (like a mouth full of ginger inside of any vegetables) ... Teach me for supermarket shopping at dinner time & not making my own pumpkin soup like i use to once upon a time ago

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Bron, thank you for the reminder of the rules....

Cai, I think I might go for the roast pumpkin chunks for the Man. By the way, I think your roast veg soup sounds absolutely delish!

Right now, I'm having a squiz through the vege slow cooked soups, and then I'm off to try and make friends with my SC. I bought a couple of different veges the other day to make myself cook soup. Wish me luck!

Oct 2003
    Forestville NSW

Netix, for DD who has to have chunks I make huge croutons by cutting up sourdough bread and spraying them with olive oil and roasting them in the oven & then chucking them in as I put it on the table. It works wonders for soup consumption

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

Oooh, thanks for the tip Christy.

I put on some vege soup this morning in my SC..... Bit worried about it being bland though...

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

this is my favourite!

Ingredients (serves 6)
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1 leek, white part only, finely sliced
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1kg peeled pumpkin, diced
    1 large potato, peeled, diced
    1L chicken or vegetable stock
    1/2 cup (125ml) thin cream
    Method
    Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat, add onion and leek and cook for 2-3 minutes, until softened but not coloured. Add garlic and spices and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add pumpkin, potato and stock and bring to the boil. Turn heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then blend in batches.
    Return soup to pan, stir through cream and reheat gently. Season and add a little more nutmeg if desired.

Aug 2006
    Melbourne

I like to do too much pumpkin when I roast and then make the leftovers into a soup the next day. I also add some orange lentils so it has a bit more protien.

I add red lentils too! and they never know once its all whizzed up! and taste great, I also roast my veggies, never thought to do it at the same time as my other roast dinner! That would save time. If i am on time restraints then i just put all veg in a big pot and cook on a slow heat until soft then add the water. I only use chicken stock if i cooked from scratch (i don't like to use jars or packets)

I add carrots, sweet pot, red lentils, garlic, pepper, cumin, or keens curry powder!

enjoy and so easy!