thread: Pumpkin Soup Recipe?

Dec 2007
    Victoria

ooh love pumpkin soup!

Always put in a carrot, a potato and most important, orange juice Just a little.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Your best Pumpkin Soup recipe!

I'm in a cooking mood today, and am trying to use up some perishables! The last time I made punkin soup DH said it tasted 'too punkiny', so I was just wondering...

How do you make pumpkin soup??

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

I made some the other day that was 1kg each of pumpkin and carrots, which you cut and roast with one whole head of garlic (don't peel it) that you break the cloves off and scatter over the tray. Season with salt and pepper and spray on a little cooking spray or drizzle with olive oil and roast for 40 mins at 200deg or until tender. Then cook off one sliced/diced onion in 50g of butter and 1tsp nutmeg till the onion is transparent (low heat is best so the onion doesn't burn) and then squeeze out the garlic into the pot, add the pumpkin and carrot and puree it all together and add 5-6 cups of vegetable or chicken stock ( i used 2lts in the end as the soup was quite thick otherwise) and then just bring to a boil and then let simmer for a further hour. It really doesn't have that pumpkin taste and unless you really love garlic, you may not want to use the whole head - it wasn't overpowering like garlic as the roasting makes it sweeter, but it was still pretty heavy in garlic flavour.

Apr 2007
    Somewhere here and there.....

My DH won't eat it if it tastes like pumpkin so I found one that is not that strong in pumpkin flavor.

Half a butternut pumpkin
    2 or 3 potatoes
    1 carrot
    3 to 4 cups of water
    4 teaspoons chicken stock
    250 g cream
    salt and pepper

- Peel and chop veg and boil in water and stock until soft.
    - Bar mix everything together
    - Add salt and pepper to taste
    - Stir in cream (do not reboil after cream is added).
    - Serve with crusty bread and a dollop of sour cream/cream

I make this at least once a week and even extra to freeze for DS for lunch etc.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Wow, that sounds scrumptious Trillian!! How many did that feed??

Ooh Macca - thats how DH told me to make it last time, but he made the fatal mistake of telling me 'That's how Mum always makes it!' So of course, I was determined NOT to make it her way
    Last edited by Bumperstump Cummerbund; June 20th, 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Dec 2005
    In Bankworld with Barbara

It fed all six of us - although the girls and DS2 didn't have a lot, and I had enough left over for another meal that I put in the freezer.

Nov 2007
    Earth

Trill - is butternut pumpkin ok to use??

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Feb 2006
    melbourne

brb....
    Last edited by Olive; June 20th, 2009 at 02:03 PM.

Feb 2006
    melbourne

just bumping!

Nov 2007
    Earth

Haha AJP - I went to the thread you suggested (sorry, I thought I checked for them, but must've missed this one!), and lo and behold, 2nd page is my thread!!

Thanks all, I neevr thought to roast the veg before making the soup - and I didn't realise you could put so many other veg in pumpkin soup!

Feb 2006
    melbourne

i got the threads merged!!

Nov 2007
    Earth

Ooh, last dumb question - does everyone leave the skin on the punkin when they roast it? And keep it on when pureeing it?? Or do you chop the skin off before roasting?

Feb 2006
    melbourne

id take the skin off