Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recipes with sausages

I fry mine up as usual. When they are cooked I cut them in half lengthways. Put some sauce on them (sweet chilli, tomato, bbq) and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Grill them until cheese has melted, YUM! I call it Bec's Butterflied Sausage Parma's!

Quote Originally Posted by ubba82 View Post
    I fry mine up as usual. When they are cooked I cut them in half lengthways. Put some sauce on them (sweet chilli, tomato, bbq) and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Grill them until cheese has melted, YUM! I call it Bec's Butterflied Sausage Parma's!
    Ohhhh I do this but with Nando's hot peri peri sauce *drool*

How about devilled sausages?
    I make a sausage pasta bake which my family loves.
    I boil the sausages first, then remove the skins and cut into bite sized pieces. I also cook up some pasta, we like chilli fettucini.
    I mix the sausages and pasta together with a tomato based pasta sauce and add different vegies... sometimes it is just few handfuls of frozen mixed vegies, other times it is peas with finely diced carrot, beans & zucchini and some small florets of broccoli. I then add it all to a baking dish, cover in cheese and bake in the oven until golden. It is yummo.

Lisa- I'll go you halves with you in the copyright for the name!!!!

sausages are so v ersatile and cheap! And I cook for 8 people so i use them a lot

Chuck them in with any Pasta Sauce (tomato or creamy)
    Chuck them in with rice and any flavoured sauce or spices you like
    Crumb them
    Bake them into a frittatta or quiche
    pasta bake
    wrap them in pastry
    i cant think of what else yet!

DoubleK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ubba82 View Post
    omg i love this idea!! im so going to try it!!

DoubleK Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
    How about devilled sausages?
    I make a sausage pasta bake which my family loves.
    I boil the sausages first, then remove the skins and cut into bite sized pieces. I also cook up some pasta, we like chilli fettucini.
    I mix the sausages and pasta together with a tomato based pasta sauce and add different vegies... sometimes it is just few handfuls of frozen mixed vegies, other times it is peas with finely diced carrot, beans & zucchini and some small florets of broccoli. I then add it all to a baking dish, cover in cheese and bake in the oven until golden. It is yummo.
    i did a very similar recipe, it was from te womans weekly babies & toddlers cookbook, except i didnt boil them first, i fried them. i might try again boiling them!

I boil my sausages to get most of the excess fat out of them... if I want that BBQ type flavour I will then pop them in my George Forman thingy.

This is delicious especially on cold winter nights but is fine in summer as well.. My kids and Dh just wolf it down

Sausage Casserole
    Ingredients (serves 4)

* 1kg Desiree potatoes, peeled, roughly chopped
    * 40g butter, chopped
    * 3/4 cup milk
    * 1 tablespoon olive oil
    * 1 brown onion, sliced
    * 750g pork or beef chipolata sausages
    * 1/4 cup tomato sauce
    * 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 35g packet French onion soupmix
    * 1 tablespoon plain flour
    * 1/2 cup grated tasty cheese

Method

1. Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until tender. Drain. Return to pan. Add butter, milk and salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.
    2. Preheat oven to 200?C. Heat oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until tender. Add sausages and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until browned. Whisk tomato sauce, barbecue sauce, Worcestershire sauce, soupmix, flour and 3/4 cup water in a jug. Stir into sausage mixture and bring to the boil.
    3. Spoon sausage mixture into an 8-cup capacity casserole. Top with potato. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is golden. Serve.

Notes & tips

* Instead of mashed potato, you could make a pumpkin or sweet potato mash or a carrot and parsnip mash. And this recipe works equally well if you replace the sausages with small lamb loin chops.
    Last edited by suse; March 29th, 2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Changing text colour - purple text is only to be used for moderation messages.

Here's a couple that I like...

Sausage casserole

? 8 thick sausages
    ? 2 tablespoons olive oil
    ? 1 onion, thinly sliced
    ? 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    ? 2 tablespoons tomato paste
    ? 2 x 415g cans crushed tomatoes
    ? 1/2 cup beef stock
    ? 2 teaspoons sugar
    ? 2 tablespoons thyme leaves
    ? mashed potato and extra thyme, to serve

Method
    1. Preheat grill or a frying pan over medium heat. Cook sausages for 8 minutes, or until golden. Thickly slice.
    2. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook for 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes, or until soft. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute.
    3. Add tomatoes, stock and sugar. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes.
    4. Add thyme and sausages. Cook for 10 minutes, or until sausages are heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with mashed potato and extra thyme leaves if desired.

Tomato and sausage pilaf

60 minutes
    Ingredients (serves 4)

* 3 teaspoons olive oil
    * 500g reduced-fat beef sausages
    * 1 large brown onion, finely chopped
    * 1 garlic clove, crushed
    * 1 1/2 cups basmati rice, rinsed, drained
    * 150g button mushrooms, sliced
    * 400g can tomato puree
    * 2 cups salt-reduced chicken stock
    * 1 cup frozen peas

Method

1. Preheat oven to 180?C. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large, non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add sausages. Cook, turning occasionally, for 10 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a plate. Set aside.
    2. Add 1 teaspoon oil, onion and garlic to frying pan. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until soft. Add rice and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Transfer to a 10-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Thickly slice sausages and place on top of rice.
    3. Add remaining oil and mushroom to frying pan. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until mushroom begins to release liquid. Add tomato puree and stock. Bring to the boil. Pour over rice and stir to combine. Cover dish with a tight-fitting lid. Bake for 40 minutes. Add peas. Bake, covered, for a further 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

This is pretty flexible - when I made it I didn't have onions, mushrooms or tomato puree so I used a jar of pasta sauce and added some chopped zucchini - it was yummy and great for leftovers too!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12