Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sandwiches, Lunches & Light Meals

Keep the ideas coming please!!!
    Aidyn is starting part-time daycare in less than 2 weeks, and I have to pack him his own big boy lunchbox!! (*sniff*!)

Atm I am thinking of including a yoghurt, a banana, a little container of grapes, a sandwich, a savoury mini muffin... and I dont know what else!! I want to pack extra JIC I guess...

Custardtart Guest

Tulip you might find that a lot of places ask you not to include nuts these days, as there are a lot of children around with peanut allergies.

I'm not much good on the frozen foods, but here are some fresh ideas I use.

For a change with my girls I make little roll-ups with pita bread. I split the bread so it's thin and wrap it around a stick of kabana with a little grated cheese and carrot, and use butter or avocado to make it stick. I then roll cling wrap around it a few times to hold it together and cut an end free so it's easy for my girls to see how to eat it without unwrapping it completely!

My kids love deli bits and pieces so sometimes I give them a mini 'deli platter' but this is very dependant on your child's tastes.
    I include variations on:
    A slice of pariser wrapped around a pickled cucumber held with a toothpick
    cubes of cheese
    pieces of kabana
    cherry tomatoes
    sliced cucumber
    carrot sticks

I add in some crackers or savoury biscuits and let them pick at it. Normally very little comes back home.

OR... PIKELETS! Two sandwiched together with jam or honey.

Kerrie

Pietta Guest

I am so lucky- Ryley's day care provides them with a healthy meal every day for lunch and healthy morning and afternoon tea. I'll find out some of their recipes and get back to you

Aidyns Daycare has a No nuts policy as well... no peanut butter, or even nutella. And yeah, I think its because the other kids could always always get a hold of someone elses lunch, and thats just too much of a risk...

What is wrong with sending a child to school occasionally with a homemade chocolate cupcake or something like that? I wouldn't class that as 'junk food' - and what about when they have a birthday are they allowed to take cake to school to share with the other kids? I can understand not wanting kids to eat chips and lollies for lunch, but who decides what is junk and what isn't. I mean things like roll ups and those rice bubble LCMs are full of sugar - are they classed as junk? Sorry I don't mean to rant but I just think it's interesting, how they decide what is ok for the kids to have and what isn't. I mean do they employ a dietician or a nutritionist to check these things?

Bon

We got our tuckshop menu on tuesday and was really disappointed to see that they are still selling red frogs, licorice, chips and that sugary flavoured water as I thought all this stuff was going to go. I just don't let my son have but he is always asking when it is his tuckshop day. They do have mostly healthy stuff but I just don't see the need for any junk!

Here is a really healthy recipe you could try.

Banana Bread

1 cup Kellogg’s® All Bran® Original
    3/4 cup wholemeal self raising flour
    1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
    1/2 tsp full cream powdered milk
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 egg
    2 tbs water
    1 cup mashed banana

» Combine dry ingredients and add egg, water, and banana.
    » Beat until well combined.
    » Spoon into a greased 20 x 10 cm loaf tin.
    » Bake in a moderate oven (180°C) for 30 minutes or until cooked when tested.

You can add sultanas or apricots to this recipe too.

Makes 1 loaf.

Default nuts

the nuts thing is really important because some children are so allergic that airborne particles can make them react - they can't even go near the loose nuts bins in supermarkets.

Our Preschool was the same Jillian! No junk food, including roll ups, le snacks, and muesli bars with chocolate on them. Last year, there were 2 boys in DD's class with allergies, which meant no peanut products at all, no eggs, no citrus fruit, juices or jams!

We got the whole talk about Qld schools adopting the 'healthy shcool' policy, they have either replaced the food with low fat food, or taken it off the menu at our school.

DD started grade 1 this week and they have fridges in their classrooms for their lunch boxes. It's relieving to know that her lunch isn't sitting in her bag in the 40 degree summer heat!

Christy - I like the sound of the vegemite rice cake sandwich! DD loves both of them, so will definately have to try them out.

Nic

Pietta Guest

Ryley's first birthday the cook had to make him a cake for the kids to have.

I think it was some chocolatey thing.

They are very strict about nuts and stuff too

I like giving DD some popcorn. I usually cheat and buy some in a packet from woollies (you can get a chip pack full of popcorn) and I give her about a third. We also like kellogs fruit bars. We're big on teh rice cakes too with vegemite or honey. Also the same with vita wheats. i also sometimes send cheese and biccies. xoxo

Those of you that have the Womens Weekly Baby and Toddler recipe book - there is some great stuff in that, like:

rice paper rolls with different fillings
    mini pizzas - veg ones could be okay cold?
    pumpkin and cheese scones - as small or as large as you like
    muesli slice - this one has no nuts
    tuna and carrot pinwheels

also I was thinking hardboiled eggs, banana or carrot cupcakes, rice crackers with salsa dip (they can come in the pkts together)

Default Lunch ideas

Hello Lovelies,

Can anyone throw some lunch ideas my way? Looking for a bit of variety from my usual toasted sandwich.

Cheers,

Mel

We mostly have sandwiches, but I make maccaroni and cheese at least once a week cause the girls love it. Also soup and a nice crusty roll, or left over stew on toast (my favorite) or even spaghetti or baked beans on toast.

I actually was using pita bread last week, and had salami, lettuce, tomato, cheese, mayo etc all rolled up in it. It was quite nice and made a change from a sandwich of some sorts

Love

Another Maccaroni cheese fan here......I love it, and so do Olivia and Charlie.

We also do soup now the weather is chilly.

A boiled egg on toast is another fave fo mine and Olivia's.

Leftovers on toast....or if I have had time, leftovers over the top of a jacket potato........

Oven fried wedges with sweet chilli sauce & sour cream.

Cous cous is really quite to zap up, add some frozen veges & some sort of sauce & you're set.

Fell like a kid again & have some chicken nuggets or ****tail frankfurts & sauce!

Oven fried wedges with sweet chilli sauce & sour cream is a fav of mine for lunch.

Soup is something we have for lunch when it's cold.

Wraps with ham, tomato, cucumber and mayo is another thing i love to have.

Beans with bread and butter.

Forgot to mention: if I am feeling naughty, I cook party sauage rolls and we have them with sauce!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast