Thread: Scalloped Potato Recipes pls???

Question Scalloped Potato Recipes pls???

DH is cooking a tonne of seafood for me tomorrow & a few friends are coming over for lunch, I want to make some Scalloped potatoes too, but yummy creamy, deliciously flavoursome ones!! LOL....

Come4 On ladies bombard me with recipes!!!!!

I make it two ways....

One with straight cream & garlic... and one with half cream half milk, french onion soup mix...

First way I'll slice potatoes and between each layer I sprinkle with garlic granules and salt & pepper, then pour cream over the whole thing (sometimes its better to do cream half way through and then again when its finished so that the cream is all through it (as cream can be thick).

Second way I mix half cream half milk with half packet of french onion soup mix, arrange potatoes and pour mix overtop.

My new method (thanks to a bb member) is to cook half the time in the microwave and the other half in the oven. So i'll start in the microwave and cook for about 10 mins on high (stir at 5 mins) then when its soft I'll put in a hot oven (180C) topped with cheese. If you find it dries out in the microwave you can just top with milk.

BEST Scalloped potatoes EVER!

You can add onion and bacon etc... but I prefer it plain

The cream and garlic version is actually a family recipe... ever since I was little I remember it...

ETA: When I cook it in the oven, I cook it on about 180-200 for as long as it takes to crispify the cheese Usually about 15-25 mins if its cooked in the microwave first you can crank it up high to cook it the rest of the way in the oven.

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by Rouge; January 25th, 2007 at 11:46 AM.

Melinda Guest

I'd definitely add in bacon and onion - scrruuuummmy!

Ok, so Cai, what do you mean about cook halfway in microwave first & stir???
    just the mixture? oR potatoes (sorry I have a baby & am preg so i have double DUNCE brain!)

I think I will add extra coz we are having it with prawns on skewers & ****tail mayo sauce & then a few fiush in a chilli sambal sauce care of DH! I might do some garlic braed & friends are bringing salads!

I cook the whole mix, potatoes and cream etc in the microwave... the layers come a bit undone but you just pat it back down again and its all good

If all else fails just cook it longer in the oven... Its one of those dishes you can cook and let it stay in a warm oven for ages and it doesn't spoil

Nigella actually cooks her potatoes in the cream mix first in a big pot, but if you do it in a microwave you only have one dish to clean coz I cook it in the pyrex dish that can go in the oven too

*hugs*
    Cailin

See my problem is the dish I am imagining it to all go in, wont fit in the Microwave!!! LOL...
    Maybe my eayes are just bigger than my gut (albeit a huge gut ATM!)

Sorry Fletch...

Ok what else can I also have... You know better to have more than not enough (left overs IYKWIM )

You can do it all in the oven just cook it on 180c for about an hour and then top with cheese and continue to cook till cheese is browned. Then you'll be sure to have nice soft creamy potatoes with a crispy topping

Do you like Beetroot... I do a mean pink salad (well actually it was my gf's recipe)... and even people who don't usually like beetroot come back for more...

I tin baby beets... I medium block of kraft cheddar (the stuff in the aisles near the cheese sticks not the cold section), 4-5 eggs and whole egg mayo... boil the eggs cut everything into cubes and mix with mayo... its the BEST I'm yet to have one complaint

*hugs*
    Cailin

OMG.... YUMMMY... Sopunds like my nans old Dutch Potato salad, it had beetroot in it, boiled eggs, boiled potato sweet & sour gherkins, pickled onions, cheese & tin of salmon or tuna!!! MMMM yummy.... OMG this is gonna be a feast!!!!

Trace, here's my scolloped potatoes.....i make a HUGE batch and make it in a roasting tray...

Slice a ***** load of potatoes....

In a large jug add 600ml cream and some milk (sometimes i use another 300ml cream, but depends on just HOW naughty i'm wanting to be). Add 2 packets of Chicken Noodle soup mix and mix well...

Spray your roasting dish and put in a layer of potatoes. Sprinkle with bacon pieces (i just get a massive handful of the stuff already diced from the deli) and a teeny little of the cream mix...and repeat until all potatoes and bacon have been used. Pour remainder of cream over the top and if necessary, top with some milk. I sometimes sprinkle cheese and/or onion between every second layer too. Sprinkle top with cheese and bung it in the oven. It will take at least an hour or so, but if the top gets too brown before it's cooked cover with foil.

I reckon it tastes better the next day, so if you can, make it tonight, or first thing in the morning and let it sit for a bit and then reheat covered in foil.....

Trust me...you'll love it.

A bit late, but thought I'd add in the chicken & melon salad my MIL makes. I could eat this till the cows come home, seriously!

Cut up one large/family bbq chook into pieces. Cut into cubes 1/2 a rockmelon & 1/2 a honeydew melon. Also dice 3 ripe tomatoes. Squeeze in a bottle of pesto mayonaise (there is a brand of ready made pesto mayo in most supermarkets) and mix together all ingredients. Sounds simple but the flavours are sooo yummy together.