thread: DS got sacked for being sick

Dec 2007
    Geelong

DS got sacked for being sick

Last week was his fourth and final week in his work trial, he was sick Monday, rang his boss early and the following day handed in his medical certificate and was greeted by the big boss whom he'd never met before to be told he was sacked. His boss was also away the same day and told DS he had no idea and he would have talked to the big boss but now was too late. He found out yesterday that the other new boy who started a week after DS was also sacked because he arrived 5min late. One of the workers had told DS that he was the 12th boy to be put on work trial, makes me wonder if they are only after cheap labour. DS was so excited to be in the work force.

Regards,
    Dianne

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

I would have DS call Fairwork and alert them to this - it is illegal!

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

I agree... surely that's not okay!

However.... do you really want him (or does he want to be) working for someone who treats people like that...???

BellyBelly Member

Sep 2010
    North West Victoria, Australia

WTF!?
    That's terrible.

Jul 2009
    Australia

That is wrong! I would definitely look into reporting them!

Poor DS i hope it hasnt crushed him too much

Jan 2009
    In my own little fantasy world

That is so wrong and based on your post, I would think you're right about the cheap labour thing. I agree with the others though, I wouldn't want to work for them. Are you going to report them? I hope your DS gets another job soon.

Dec 2007
    Geelong

I was going to ring them the day it happened but DS didn't want me to. He was upset he no longer has a job but he really didn't like working there. There are two employees that both have anger problems, when something doesn't go right they throw tools, swear and carry on. I do really want to report them though so thank you Nai, wasn't sure who to call. It's so wrong though of them if they are using these young boys and getting their hopes up of an apprenticeship.

Regards,
    Dianne

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

Definitely report them! When my DH was returning to the workforce after being on centrelink benefits (mind you a loooong time ago) he did this jobstart thing & the people he was working for treated him terribly. He complained to centrelink & that employer was not allowed to use the jobstart thing anymore.....

I feel for your DS. I hope he can get some other work very soon

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

I was going to ring them the day it happened but DS didn't want me to. He was upset he no longer has a job but he really didn't like working there. There are two employees that both have anger problems, when something doesn't go right they throw tools, swear and carry on. I do really want to report them though so thank you Nai, wasn't sure who to call. It's so wrong though of them if they are using these young boys and getting their hopes up of an apprenticeship.

Regards,
    Dianne
    Maybe if you soften it to DS by saying you want to make sure it doesn't happen to any other young guys... and that he is helping others, he may (while still reluctant) understand why it is so important he does tell someone. It's an important lesson to learn that you can't let others get away with this behaviour.

good luck... let us know what happens. xxx

Apr 2008
    Melbourne

Even if he doesn't want to work there, the business needs to be reported for doing this as they will continue to do it to others if they can get away with it. It is very wrong and I really dislike seeing young people who want to work treated like that by dishonest employers!

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

I agree with everyone above. They do need to be reported to fairwork to help prevent this happening again. The more people who lodge complaints, the better (or rather worse for the employer).

Out of interest, what kind of work is DS looking to get into? And good on him for getting work, trial or not.

Oct 2008
    In a Nice Safe Space

I've heard about dodgy companies doing this. Getting cheap or free labour and then getting rid of the people when the trial period is over. I think you should report it in general because if this company is running this kind of scam, and it is a scam, then something needs to be done about it.

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jun 2008
    In snuggle land

Definitely report. It also sounds like a potentially bullying workplace, if people are throwing tools around. Not cool at all.

Dec 2007
    Geelong

Netix, he would like to get an apprenticeship in the auto industry, this job was for panel beating. I will report them, initially I wanted to ring his place of work and DS thought I was trying to get his job back which is why he didn't want me to ring. The company uses a job network agency, which is where all these boys are coming from so don't understand why they havn't picked up on this.

Regards,
    Dianne

Nov 2011
    SE Melbourne

the job network agency will get paid for every person they place in a job there as well.... so it probably depends on how 'ethical' they are as to whether they would appreicate the news... personally I think you should tell them too - maybe they are not aware, I think (depending on how long the person stays in the job) they get another payment after a few months.... and if it's a long tem unemployed person the payments are larger AND the employer can get payments as well....

I really hope he finds something else - and good on him for the work he HAS done...

Oct 2008
    Newport, VIC

Complete rubbish.

Here's the link to the contact page of the FairWork Ombudsman. It's helpful as it gives you a list of information that is helpful so you can suss it all out before you call.

http://www.fairwork.gov.au/contact-u...s/default.aspx

Jul 2007
    melb

That is so wrong, call and report them as they will keep using and abusing young kids.

I hope he finds a new job soon.

Nov 2006
    Atop the lookout...

As exactly what myturn said, the agency will be getting paid for each placement.

Get DS to write down everything that has happened, with dates if possible. For the bullying issue, that is dealt with through Worksafe, if he wants to pursue that (it would be a totally seperate thing to fairwork aust.).

I hope he can find something else, much better, very soon. Xx