Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Laser hair removal - anyone had laser hair removal done?

thanks Kelly. How many sessions did you end up having and was it for your bikini line?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Bikini & underarm

I was naughty and didn't go for a while over xmas/new years so I am making up for it now, I go every 6-8 weeks at the moment. I still have a little hair regrowth but its very very slow and the hair is weak and soft. Not long and I know it'll all be gone, its awesome. I am actually due now so will be seeing Vicky very soon
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hi,
    I have done IPL. As far as I know, it is very similar to laser as both treatments use light. IPL is more user friendly, as it is quicker and less painful as the screen they use is larger.

ok,so a lot of sessions needed.....Must be getting pretty costly for you Kelly?

Are you happy with your results Kym?

Well I am off to see Vicky at Skin Systems tomorrow. Will let you know how I go. Bit scared!!!!

all done, all good. Vicky is great and makes you feel comfortable. Now just wait and see what happens in the next few weeks. I go back in 4 weeks and will probably need around 6 sessions. Some spots I couldn't feel a thing, but in others there is a little bit of pain for a second. Hopefully all worth it
    Last edited by stillhoping; August 24th, 2008 at 10:46 AM.

Laser is more targeted to hair than IPL though - quicker and better results Vicky will tell you she knows it backwards!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

katreenadoyle Guest

What is actually the difference between the laser and the IPL. I know everyone is saying the laser is better, but how and why? does it take longer /more sessions? hurt more? more chnace of scarring?

Hi,
    I'm wrapped with the results of IPL. After only 2 sessions I shaved under my arms only once in the month. I agree, there is a bit of a sting (especially on the bikini line), it feels like a small rubber band being flicked but it only lasts a second.

Laser is more targeted to hair removal. On the spectrum, laser has a narrower window targeted to hair removal, IPL has a wider range. I'm sure Vicky will explain it much better!
    Kelly xx

ABC Guest

Hi Everyone
    Like most people on this forum i have been looking at doing the laser thing for a while and have been doing a lot of research into it. As a health professional (in an unrelated field) and having access to online journals, I am absolutely dumfounded how little quality research has been undertaken by reputable journals for a modality which has been around for a while and has a lot of people using it.
    What I read on the forums and what I see in the journals doesn?t seem to match. A lot of people on the forums have been happy with the outcomes however given the outcomes in the journals, there generally is only a 60% reduction in hair 4 months post laser (not IPL) after 6 treatments.
    I know there can be hormonal issues impacting on the hair growth, targeting during growth phases ect, but to me you can quantifiably grade your skin type, you can quantifiably work out the number of hairs, why can?t there be a relatively definitive answer on which laser works?
    Secondly, there appears to be no real difference (journal wise) between the results of the Ruby Laser and the Gentlease Alexandrite laser although forum feedback seems to favour the gentlease laser.
    If anyone can shed some light on this in particular the two types of laser would be much appreciated

Well I have completed 4-5 (can't remember) sessions with the laser and the results were fantastic at the start. I was due to go back last week, but found out the place has closed. No phone call, nothing. I have left two messages and no one has called me to explain. All the hair has grown back and I can't even finish the sessions - 6 is recommended, so I have basically wasted all my money - so cross Skin Systems. At least have the decency to call your customers to explain and to forward them on to other salons.

I think IPL works as good as laser plus studies have shown that there are some side effects for laser while they haven't found any side effects for IPL as yet. I preffer to have couple of more sessions of IPL rather than laser because laser can cause HypoPigmentation and also as the light is very strong it's very painfull & you can get burnt. I've had my full legs and bikini done last year with IPL and it's been more that 6 months since I've finished my treatments and I'm quiet happy with the result.
    I know a good place in perth which is very cheap as well.
    If anyone is intrested I can give you the details

This is an interesting thread.
    For those who it worked for, who did you go with, and how many sessions.
    Have you had lasting results?
    I had my underarms and bikini done a few years ago. It was a big investment, but I thought it was definately worth it because I get waxed and thats pretty expensive anyway and I hate the regrowth. While I was getting it done the ladies said I was getting really good results, however it didn't work. I had 6 sessions (they used to say you needed 4 and I had the extras to be sure it would work because the hair was still growing back, now I think they say 8) and finished just before I went overseas so I wouldnt have to get waxing done over there. Only I did still have to. The only difference I can see is that the hairs are maybe a very tiny bit lighter or finer (still just as hairy though) and I think they grow back faster. ie I will get my underarms, bikini waxed now and they are regrowing again in a few days.
    This doesn't make sense to me so maybe it is a coincedence, and more to do with hormones.
    Anyway, it wasn't laser, I used Hair free centre which is SPL. Big waste of money for me.

I've heard that SPL doesn't work as good. I had IPL and I was told from the begining that with face, underarms and brazilian I might need to have more than 6 session, depending on how my body will react.
    Now it's been more than 6 months since i've stopped and they haven't grown as yet. Also I was told that I need to get a maintanence every 6 to 12 months. You might have not had that and that's why they're all back.

Default SPL is safest, cheapest and newest!

Quote Originally Posted by CombatQueen View Post
    saramac, I had SPL is that like IPL or Laser removal?

I've been treated since 2007 at hairfree Garden city, their therapist is very gentle and proffessional!! I noticed success straight away on my brazillian now I'm finished with that I'm onto my legs I have had IPL (old fashioned version) before and it stung!!! SPL is quite comfortable I even have a nap while my legs are being done Don't put it off anylonger you won't regret it girls!!! One thing is tho you can't do it while your pregnant or suntanning. the consultation is free so just go and find out the facts, they will do a test zap for you too so you can try before you go ahead. The best thing I liked is you pay as you go, NO UPFRONT costs like all the others. Don't get it done at a beauty joint. Hairfree only do hair which makes them experts.....Having said that I can only vouch for garden city centre tho, they are wonderful!!

There are 2 different types of IPL. The one that I've had was the new one and it didn't heart at all. Not sure how good SPL is as I've seen people who had SPL and they weren't as happy. The place that I used to go to was quiet cheap as well and she used to price match for me too and I'm quiet satisfied with the result.

bump...

is everyone still happy with their results?
    am thinking about getting this done next year once i'm not pregnant...
    was wondering, i don't really have the traditional bikini line on top, i can wear bikini's easily and there is no issue, however i am interested in getting the underneath section done, not a brazillian, just the extreme tops of my thighs, where my knickers sit - not sure if i have explained the area properly but hoping you know.... can you get this section done, i don't really have a 'bikini line' on top.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast