Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #16

ok DH and I are going to take the plunge and buy a SC, any recommendations on good ones to get. We've got a fantastic cook set which can work the same way as a slow cooker but because we're on gas we don't like leaving it alone when we're not here - we do do sc recipes in the cookware now, but want a sc for winter

Welcome to the dark side schaz

We have the 5.5 lt breville digital one that has a timer, you can set times as to how long you want to cook so say you want 3 hours on high and then 2 hours on low you can set that. Then it will automatically set to warm for 4 hours. I like it for sure

I also have a ronson 6 ltr which is a cheaper model but still works well.

I think if you want to cook large pieces of meat (like roasts) or want the option to cook for more than 2-4 then the larger SC'ers are the way to go. In an ideal world I'd like to have 1 large and 1 small but I have 2 large as it is LOL so I think Marc would freak...

Goodluck and happy slowcooking

I actually saw on the view today that greenies recommend slow cookers as they use less energy than an oven even though they cook longer! So by slow cooking we're doing something for the environment too LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I was given the Sunbeam 5.5L and am cooking up a storm with it. I made a batch of ratatouille last night and had some with fish. Some more with grilled chops tonight plus a container for the freezer for a single meal for me when DH is not home for dinner.

Okay, I'm finally going to get with the program LOL!

We were given an SC for our wedding (one year ago) and I'm yet to use it . My mum insisted that I put it on the registry saying that "no mother should be without one!".

Anyway, this week I'm having one of those 'what am I going to cook?' weeks, so here I am. I'm off to check out the sticky recipes now...........

Oh, and it's good to see that you all leave your SC on when out, I was a bit worried about that too, but will do it happily now!

mmm fondue - ripe cherry tomatoes are really nice in cheese fondues.
    Now I have a hankering to buy a fondue set - I'm remembering how much fun it is to sit around a fondue with your nearest and dearest.

blackbird, I would LOVE your rataoutille recipe please!

Quote Originally Posted by Cailin View Post
    I actually saw on the view today that greenies recommend slow cookers as they use less energy than an oven even though they cook longer! So by slow cooking we're doing something for the environment too LOL!
    Really? i will have to show this to DH, he is dead against me using the SC cos he reckons its a waste of electricity and keeps telling me how many black balloons it must generate!

rayray, a slow cooker uses about the same power as a lightbulb (not sure what wattage). It makes sense - an oven heats your food and a whole heap of empty space while a slowcooker just heats the food
    Caro, I don't usually change the quantities. If it looks like your SC might be really full it might be best to allow a longer cooking time. Mine is big enough for a lamb leg and I find that things cook a tad faster in it than most of the recipes indicate. I'm still not sure if it's because it's big or just a little hotter.

I never brown the meat first, I just chuck it in.

Its personal choice

tehehehe the browning is bit of a contetious topic.
    I brown roasts and mince but generally don't bother with anything else. I brown the roast because I just think it looks nicer that way and I do the mince so that I can be sure its properly broken up because I hate it when it isn't and I get a big chunk.
    If I'm making a curry I give my spice/masala mix a bit of a stir fry with the garlic and ginger before I put them in because it releases the flavours better that way. If I'm using a pataks etc I don't bother because they do it before bottling it.

I did a moroccan chicken thing last Sunday and DID brown the pieces (skinless thighs on the bone). Same with chuck. I'd be inclined to try the chuck without browning but I think the chicken may be better browned. Fillets might be ok though.

Danni - here's the recipe:

Ratatouille
    1 large onion, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    2 tblspns tomato paste
    2 eggplants cut into 3cm dice (seems big but trust me)
    2 med zucchinis sliced into 1cm rings
    1 red and 1 green capsicum cut into 3 cm pieces
    2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
    2 tblspns fresh thyme (I used 1 tspn dried)
    Salt & pepper

Place all ingredients except salt and pepper in SC. Coko for 3-4 hrs on high or 6-7 hrs on low. Season to taste.

I also added about 2 tspns sugar towards the end - a chef friend taught me to do this with tomato dishes to help balance the acid.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I hardly ever brown stuff, unless it's a recipe I haven't done before then I follow it strictly. After that I just do whatever I like, not browning of course saves you time and having to wash another pan. I find chicken doesn't need it, not fillets anyway, and I cook chicken for a lot less time than recipes say. My cooker might just be a quicker cooking one but I find cooking it for longer than 4-5 hours (sometimes it doesn't need that) makes it way too dry. I do not know about chicken pieces with bones as I've never cooked them in there before.

I never brown anything...too lazy LOL.
    I just chuck it all in.
    If I do a whole chicken I rub it with Morrocan spice mix (masterfoods one) so it goes nice and golden...and tastes yummy too

I havent browned anything in mine either...

Hope it was nice Cato, sounds good!

5 cups of water might be a typo? It sounds like alot - you might end up with soup...
    I never put water in my roasts - just sit them on a saucer so they're not sitting in the juice...

I'm sure it wil be yummy anyway - if it's too watery you could pour off some of the water and then use it to make gravy (just mix in some flour or gravox and boil it until it thickens).
    In Tajikistan they do a roast in water at really low tempatures then cut it into chunks and sear it just before eating....

Tigergirl1980 Guest

I don't think it would hurt it to remove it, I probably would.

I think I would too. I always dry roast and it still comes out really tender and juicey.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast