Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Slow Cooker Chatter #16

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Ooooh, I have NOT been getting the thingy's for here, bugger.

Bon: Maybe you could add 1 cup of wine and 1 cup of water/chicken stock. A recipe I saw used beer or apple cider, maybe you could put apple juice? Still or sparkling?

Blackbird: I only use the auto if a recipe tells me too, generally I go by the recipe so I can't really help you there.
    Yep with the water you definitely need to use less water as it doesn't evaporate like it does in other forms of cooking. Not sure it matters to cover the meat and I don't think it matter how much you've got in there or the size either. I generally put half to amount to 3/4. So if the recipe tells me I need 1 cup of water, I will usually put 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup instead.

How did the goey choc cake turn out? I've not yet made it.

I am officially excited! I got a slow cooker on the weekend and am LOVING it!
    It is making life soooo much easier. I get up early so I have had dinner prepared by breakky! I am looking forward to reading through the recipes!

Thanks Tigergirl. The gooey choc cake was fantastic. DH's family are very fond of choc puddings (SiL makes them a lot) and they were very impressed. The cake was a nice texture and the saucy part was thick and rich. Only a small portion needed with some icecream.

ETA: It was great to have dessert on before people arrived and not have to worry about dealing with it during dinner.

I've got a beef, red wine, mushroom, smoked paprika concoction nearly ready for dinner. If it tastes as good as it smells, I'll post the recipe.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Blackbird: Oh that's wonderful, I must give it a try some time. I found it through searching one day but haven't gotten around to trying it.

Tonight we're having Osso Bucco.

I kg Osso Bucco
    2 Large Carrots Chopped into chunks
    One Onion segmented and halved
    1 tin romas chopped
    generous sprinkling of tuscan seasoning
    garlic powder
    Splash of red
    mushroom stock cube
    tsp beef stock and 1/2 cup water

Smells pretty good hopefully it will be good... think we'll have it with greek potatoes and beans.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Sounds yum Cailin. Last night we had Beef & Mushroom Casserole -

2kg chuck steak
    2 medium onions
    1 clove garlic
    8 medium mushrooms cut into chunks
    1 tblspn smoked paprika (normal will do)
    2 tblspns tomato paste
    1 1/2 cups red wine
    1/2 cup beef stock

Cube, flour and seal the beef and put into SC. In same frypan, fry onions and garlic til transluscent then add mushrooms. Cook 2 mins. Add paprika and tom paste, cook 2 mins. Add wine and simmer for a few mins to cook off alcohol. Add to beef in cooker as well as stock. Cook on low 6-8 hours and adjust seasoning at end.

Well with the weather cooling off now I've broken old faithful out again....god I love my SC

So far we've made beef casserole, beef strog, and on the weekend I did pumpkin soup in it for the first time - it was fantastic!

Going to try potato and leek soup next I think

TBH I don't think the SC does retain nutrients... If over boiled vegetables lose their nutrients quickly then I would say the same would happen in the SC. Steaming in a quick way like the Vitaplus Steamers are probably the best way to cook vegetables to retain nutrients.

As for cooking times I'd say anywhere between 3 hrs on high to 4-5 hrs on low? It always varies depending on brands.

Goodluck!

Our Osso Bucco was absolutely FANTASTIC so I'll definitely be using that recipe again!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Cailin, can you please share the Osso Bucco recipe???

MY Dh always makes Oxtail soup, but I find it WAY too salty & said I'd make Osso Bucco (TBH I have no idea how!) LOL...

I made it up as I went...

Recipe is a few posts up HERE

*hugs*
    Cailin

Doh, Thanks!!!!

Good Morning Ladies ...Trace...Oxtail soup ...I have never heard of that before!.

Just going to hijack your thread for a minute as I am putting some CHicken Breast in the SC this morning ....how big do you cut your veges compared to your meat? , My Pumpkin always seems to break down ...should I be making the pumpkin double the size of the chicken cube? My potatos always seem ok ...just not the pumpkin.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Cass- Maybe leave the pumkpin out and then put it in after a few hours. Say maybe when you've got 2-3 hours to go?

Unfortunately I am leaving home in about an hour and wont be back until aroun630pm ......Maybe I could get DH to pop home and switch it on during the day..... Still have to pu tit all in at once through.

I guess on the bright side the broken down pumpkin always thickens the gravey :-).

I will try doubling the sizes of the pumpkin and see how it goes.

BTW love your Ticker Bec!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

If you can't put it in later then yeah give it a burl making them bigger.

Awwwwww thanks Love Kaitlyn with her sunnies on, lol, very cute.

hey guys.. since DH is finally going to be home at nights since he has a new job that is in the same town YAY...

I need to get my slow cooker back in action..... can anyone open the link at the top of page 1 to the recipes??? I cant seem to get into it...

I need inspiration for easy yummy meals...

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The recipes are a sticky so quite easy to find if the link doesn't work

Ok thanks heaps Bec

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast